Shin Megami Tensei IV Launches This July In North America

Posted by Orla Madden

First print copies will be Limited Edition

During yesterday's Nintendo Direct presentation, Nintendo revealed that Shin Megami Tensei IV will be released across North America on 16th July; all first print copies of the game will come packaged as a Limited Edition box set, including a Strategy and Design book, a Shin Megami Tensei Music Collection CD, and Collectable Slipcase packaging.

The Strategy and Design book, produced by Prima Games, longtime publishers of video game strategy content, will include walkthroughs, charts, maps and tips. Not only this, but it'll feature artwork and never-used designs from series character designer, Masayuki Doi.

The Music Collection CD boasts specially selected tracks from the Shin Megami Tensei series, as well as an exclusive recording.

The box itself will come packaged in a collectable slipcase, featuring colourful artwork designed by Masuayuki Doi, depicting certain aspects of the game concerning its characters.

Europe will also receive the game, although a solid release date hasn't been announced.

What are your thoughts on this Limited Edition box set? Are you impressed with it, and does it make you want to pick up the game even more when it's released? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

Rapido

Rapido said:

Now, this just made my day, will be released during my favorite month. The long awaited sequel. Its demon fusion time!!

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

5 days before my birthday. Why, thank you ATLUS!

Seriously though, the lack of games in July was akin to water in the desert before this was announced. So I guess this is like that clutch oasis!

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I still can't believe this is the first 50$ game for the 3ds. I hope its not a going trend for the future. Of course we do have a lot on offer here but they're not releasing a cheaper alternative. With that said of course I'm still preodering it!!

MERG

MERG said:

Pre-ordered! I almost wish they'd stop with the bonuses. I want to go digital.

Deathgaze

Deathgaze said:

@Tech101 I hate hearing Americans cry like a baby over their already cheap as hell games. Try living anywhere else and you'll see how annoying it is.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

It's annoying how many of the SMT games, especially the mainline series have never come out in the west. It bugs me playing games where I've missed so many of it's predecessors. It seems like there's already a couple of decent SMT games on 3DS, but I'm still finding it hard to care about it for the reason above.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Prof_Elvin_Gadd You mean the extras? That's a good theory though I guess we'll have to wait until the first editions sell out before we can verify. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the player's guide is what's running up the price.

bricabrac

bricabrac said:

It is not fair that America gets nearly all Atlus games and even in limited editions wherease Europe gets nothing.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

well least it makes sense for the 50 dollar price tag somewhat, good to know i have my reason, looking forward to playing the game regardless so day one freaking preorder for me :P

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

Does anyone have details on the DLC? The Fire Emblem DLC was a huge turnoff to me, and has thus far kept me from really digging into the game.

Also, $50 is extremely expensive for a portable game!!!

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

@DrKarl

What's wrong with the Fire Emblem DLC? I've played almost 30 hours into the game and have yet to buy any sort of DLC for it. The game is already packed with content.

Also, $50 isn't bad considering the extra stuff that comes with it. It'll most likely go down to $40 once the first-printings of the game have sold out.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Just put my pre-order for this game in. This is going to be absolutely amazing.

Damagemanual

Damagemanual said:

Is the pre-order stuff limited to a set shop or is this included with all first-runs of the game?

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

You lucky americans... maybe Europe will get this in winter, with no extras for
€ 45 ($ 58)...

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

@Ralizah In previous Fire Emblem games there was a fixed economy. With the DLC, the same maps can be played again and again to generate items and currency. To me, this breaks the economy. Since you have to pay extra money to get the content, Nintendo has now embraced the model of "pay more money to make the game easier."

I also have a larger concern about Nintendo and DLC that is not specific to Fire Emblem. Some may argue that the DLC is optional. While that is true, it brings up another break in Nintendo's long established formula. For decades it has been the case that when you buy a Nintendo game, you bought the complete package. No patches, no changes, no additions. Each game was a complete self contained world. Fire Emblem's use of DLC has not made me confident that this change in formula is good for gamers.

Of course your mileage may vary, but that is how I feel.

One-Winged-Pit

One-Winged-Pit said:

I will preorder this the second I get some money. It is well worth the $50 for everything we are getting!!

slidecage

slidecage said:

got mine preordered at amazon for 47.49 Gamestop is getting a LIMITED DLC what could be worth going that way cause fools will pay probally 10 to 20 for the code making the game 40 or less...may just buy 2 copies :)

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Wow, I'm surprised it's coming out in America just two months after the Japanese release. Seeing as we already have confirmation of the European release, hopefully that means we won't have to wait as long as we did for Devil Survivor Overclocked.