Satoru Iwata Confirms Nintendo's Plans To Bring More 3DS Third-Party Support To The West

Posted by Orla Madden

Unannounced titles could be on the way, too

In Nintendo's recent Financial Results Briefing for the end of the Fiscal Year, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata mentioned that the company plans to bring more third-party support to the 3DS, particularly when it comes to Japanese developers localising games for the West.

First of all, let's take a look at Nintendo's first-party titles on the way later this year: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokémon X & Y, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, a new Mario Party title, Mario Golf: World Tour, and a brand new Zelda title due in the Holiday season. That's a pretty strong line up, by almost anyone's standards.

So far, we know about a number of third-party developed titles coming from Japan, such as Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan for Europe and Project X Zone.

However, although these key titles have already been announced, according to Iwata we can expect to hear about more "unannounced titles" for the 3DS from third parties in due course.

On the other hand, in addition to the first-party titles, it is also important to offer strong third-party software titles.
Recently, third-party software developers overseas have had fewer of their best development studios develop software for handheld devices. However, for this year, the release of several key titles has already been announced, and I have also heard there are more unannounced titles to come.

Also, as I mentioned on another occasion, we plan to more actively support the Japanese software developers in distributing their key titles overseas.

To be more specific, as of today, such third-party titles as shown on this slide have already been announced that they will be sold in the overseas markets, and I’ve also heard that our third parties are planning to launch other software titles that they have not announced yet. With these titles in the lineup, I think that, although much later than in Japan, the overseas markets are finally ready for Nintendo 3DS to get on an ideal sales track.

What third-party games would you like to see brought over to the West? Let us know in the comments below.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'm not sure which games I would like in the west. I'm just glad Nintendo is relentlessly supporting the Nintendo 3DS.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Does that mean we get the 2D platformer w/ the walking fish? Sorry, I still can't find the name, only saw the video in the Japan ND.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Professor Layton Vs Ace Attorney I wanna see, and whilst they're at it, see if they can't make Miles Edgeworth Ace Attorney Investigations 2 a reality.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

I still want to see a call of duty game as the ds has like 3 of them.
Also a metroid game is long over due considering the ds launched with a metroid prime demo.
Also would lke to see a GTA game, as the ds game was one of the best GTA games I played. That view in 3d would be awesome

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Games based on popular anime franchises (i.e. One Piece, Digimon, Medabots) would be awesome.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I'm already drowning in a sea of first and third party games just this year alone. All have been good to great quality as well! I've always got room for more games third party or not. Just this year alone I've bought 2 first party and 4 third party games! I support a game if its good third party or not!!

Oh and that's not even counting the like 4-7 eshop games I've already dl-ed this year alone!

XXIV

XXIV said:

Digimon, Medabots, 90% of Level 5's 3DS games. Just give it to us!

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D (it's long overdue!!) and Dragon Quest VII. Fantasy Life would be nice, also.

Sekuiya

Sekuiya said:

@Ralizah THIS! And Miles Edgeworth Ace Attorney Investigations 2 too! That would be the cherry on top of the cake!

Rief

Rief said:

Dragon Quest VII, Dragon Quest Monsters: Terrys Wonderland as well as Digimon World Re:Digilize

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

I'd love to get my hands on Kokuga. A game from the Ikaruga director exclusive for 3DS? Sign me up!

Wouldn't ming trying Azito 3D as well.

ferthepoet

ferthepoet said:

time travelers and professor layton vs. Ace attorney, I really don't get how layton vs. Ace attorney has not been released in the west the thing was already selling 3DSs a year before the console release

3dsisthebest

3dsisthebest said:

oh please please please I want Time Travelers and i´m pretty sure that the other 2 titles by level 5 will come...p.layton vs. a.attorney and fantasy life...and of course every square enix title and a new one which has the same size and genre as bravely default would be nice.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

Looks like Iwata is in full support of getting more JRPG's into the west!!! Suck it Fils-Aime!!!!

mch

mch said:

@PinkSpider
Yeah, i wouldn't mind if Nintendo just bought the whole GTA-franchise or the whole Rockstar Studios and made it a Nintendo exclusive in the future ;) It's Not gonna happen, but that would be a system-seller and that's what's needed in these times.

DeathlyDarkness

DeathlyDarkness said:

@Dreamcaster-X

Give man a prize :)

Yeah, for real, give us some shooters! It's crazy! The 'Only One Analog Stick' excuse is foiled with the CPP. And, that didn't stop devs for making shooters for PSP. Or DS, which didn't have ANY ANALOGS, or for Pete's sake, there was that article about a FPS FOR GAMEBOY COLOR, even if that was never released, for real, give me a 3D FPS. Right now.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Yeah DS was an FPS powerhouse. I'd like to see more western development along the lines of that new Batman game and the Skylanders series. What ever happened to the COD titles?

Still, like everyone else I'd love to see all of Level 5's library and a Dragon Quest 7 localization.

elixxur

elixxur said:

They need to release more Tactical games seriously! So many GBA games they could bring to the 3ds eshop!

Mizore

Mizore said:

Hopefully Monster Hunter 4 will make it over here sooner, game looks awesome. (and yet another game that will allow me to be the crap out of a giant spider, lol)

hayes1516

hayes1516 said:

All the Dragon Quest games already out and still on the horizon would be nice for starters and maybe that long promised Chocobo racing game.

nesrizo96

nesrizo96 said:

I'm really getting sick of these 3rd party games it's what ruined e3 last year. Nintendo please focus on the first party games

ljinkakidd

ljinkakidd said:

Iwata is a smart guy. He knows what he's doing. The Wii and Ds did great under his wing. I just hope that we get Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest Monsters. I also heard that they will remake Dragon Quest Monsters 2... I will actually learn Japanese for that game.

Of all the 3DS RPGS out there right now I can honestly say, that even though it is a remake, Dragon Quest VII will be a shining star of all of them.

Synbios

Synbios said:

I really hope they bring Soul Hackers to Europe too, not just the US... And Fantasy Life and DQ VII of course, but I'm pretty optimistic those will make it here eventually, dunno why. :)

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Who remembers the game Beyond the Labyrinth? This game got alot of requests but stopped asking in a short amount of time.

Erikdayo

Erikdayo said:

@Pogocoop That would also be awesome! While it doesn't look quite as good as Project DIVA f I would love a solid 3DS rhythm game. Too bad the 3DS isn't region free like Vita/PS3! :( Didn't really like Theatrhythm.

sebio64

sebio64 said:

More 3rd party games on the 3DS? How about more 1st party games on they Wii U? How more games in general on the Wii U? They are doing so much with he 3DS right now, that my Wii U is starting to collect dust.

ACK

ACK said:

Sequels to Radiant Historia, Infinite Space, and Solatorobo, please. Soma Breaker in some form (remake?) as well. And I would kill for another Retro Game Challenge (2 or otherwise) and Bangai-O on the shop. Yeah, won't happen... But.... sniffle Oh, why don't any publishers care about appeasing me and my gaming needs?

@gojiguy: That would do as well.

Void

Void said:

Fantasy Life, Dragon Quest games, Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney.
Everyone be happy.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Whirlpool
Glad someone brought that game up. Hopefully we'll be able to get that game. It could be an eShop-only game like Unchained Blades if the publishers want to save money.

AVahne

AVahne said:

And why are people acting like Nintendo's not doing anything for Wii U? They really are, they just want to to publicly say that they'll bolster the 3DS now. It has a good-ish library so far, but in the west it's not anywhere near the DS's library. They're working to make sure that there are 3DS games for every gamer and non-gamer and not just one or two games, but enough to make people want to continue playing 3DS.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

There are so many games for the 3DS on the horizon I honestly wouldn't need any other console at this rate, especially with games like Animal Crossing or Monster Hunter.

I'm really hoping to see Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland, Fantasy Life, and Digimon World Re:digitize among others. Theres actually a pretty good chance we'll get MH4, since we usually get the main games in the series.

LeonChamp

LeonChamp said:

Excite truck 3d??? Links crossbow training 3d (using gyroscope!) or Nintendo could go all out and get Naughty Dogg to make Uncharted 3d ( I know, it's never gonna happen :-(
Or how about Crash Bandicoot 3d!!!!!!!

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Wouldn't mind seeing some third-party support for the Virtual Console. Specifically, Sonic 2 for Game Gear...

SPUD

SPUD said:

Bring Harvest Moon a new beginning. also that tamagotchi mii game,

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Hopefully this means we can get Ghost Watch or Youkai Watch as it is called in Japan. That game looks AMAZING and I love just about anything coming from Level 5!

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

I'm so glad we'll be seeing more stuff! I'm sure there are titles I'd like that I've never heard of! Particularly since I tend to like less popular genres.

Fantasy Life and Tomodachi Collection- New Life are up there for me!