Rumour: Ni no Kuni Could Yet See A Western Release, According To Publisher Namco Bandai

Posted by Damien McFerran

DS role-player could find a new lease of life on the 3DS

You might be familar with Level-5 and Studio Ghibli collaboration Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch from its recent release on the PlayStation 3, but the origin of the series actually stretches back to a Nintendo DS game, released in Japan in 2010.

Ni no Kuni: The Jet-black Mage shares the same setting and characters as its PS3 relation, but is a very different game. It was never localised for the west, despite Level 5 stating it would do so. In the end, it was said that an English localisation posed too many problems — the most obvious being the massive spell book which shipped with the Japanese original.

However, hope is not entirely lost. According to Pocket Gamer, western publisher Namco Bandai has admitted that if there was enough interest, it would be prepared to investigate the possibilities of porting the title to the 3DS.

Would you like to see the game released in the west? Post a comment to tell us your opinion.

[via vg247.com, pocketgamer.co.uk]

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

@phoenixology
I'm thinking it means for 3DS since this is a Nintendo website, plus it's a sequel like Dwarph said.
Well, it's good news to say the least. I know alot more people would probably buy it for 3DS than they would PS3. It would be cool if the remade it for 3DS, but it would probably be annoying to have made the same game 3 times. Who knows. It was on DS originally for a reason, seeing as DS has a WAY bigger install base.

Zyph

Zyph said:

IMO i think the headline should be "Rumour: Ni no Kuni Could Yet AGAIN See A Western Release, According To Publisher Namco Bandai"

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I would LOVE to see this game released outside of Japan! I was greatly looking forward to it getting translated but then it didn't happen :'( I still haven't picked up Ni No Kuni for the PS3 though... I'm trying to save monies right now even though its not really working :p

hamsterfactor

hamsterfactor said:

I've actually been on the verge of buying the Japanese release, despite my knowledge of the language being pretty poor - so YES PLEASE to a Western release!

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

Yes yes yes! Make it a 3ds version with a digital spellbook. Thank god the ps3 version did so well, it means now ds/3ds owners could still experience it yet :-) I also read a few days ago that fans were starting work on a translation. That may also be a reason why it's considered. I'd love an E3 reveal- it would make my year :-)

47drift

47drift said:

I wanted a PS3 just for this game. And I got one! In January! Totally worth it, this game is phenomenal.

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

I agree the title is misleading. Should add the subtitle "The Jet Black Mage" since "Wrath of the White Witch" Already made it here. But yes, yes, and yes. I'd love to see this. When I saw Wrath of the White Witch was coming here I was like..."what about the first one :(

Dunban

Dunban said:

I don`t like to discuss about rumors, but in this case.... I WANT IT! :D

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I still need to get the PS3 game that was released. But I also need time. But hey, having another title in the series portable would be great. Bring it over!

Placlu

Placlu said:

How similar is the story? from what I've seen of the DS game, the intro is identical. It seems to be more fitting to re-release it on vita or something. I don't know if I would buy it again - depends how different the game is - but more L5 localization is good... looking at you Yokai Watch.. D:

seronja

seronja said:

yes please! i LOVE Ni no Kuni for the ps3, and i also want this game very bad xD it's been long since i played such a charming game like Ni no Kuni =D

Squashie

Squashie said:

I do like the look of the series, and I'd like to give it a try - so a 3DS release would be super awesome!

Rafie

Rafie said:

@SCAR392 Man you don't let up, do you?! LOL The number of people who bought this game on PS3 is astounding. I'm not saying that the PS3 numbers would match those that would have the 3DS version, but obviously the PS3 version will be the better version. However, who can beat Ni No Kuni on the go and with 3D?

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

YES! Please bring this over! My girlfriend and I are both itching to play this series.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Do want! This has been one of the strangest cases of missing games in recent years, considering how well level 5 stuff does over here. Wrath of the White Witch is one of the games of the generation for me (although the white knight chronicles is proof level 5 aren't always amazing)

ueI

ueI said:

I would have to know how this game compares to the PS3 version first.

Xilef

Xilef said:

Already have the PS3 version but i would buy a 3DS version of it.

Xilef

Xilef said:

Already have the PS3 version but i would buy a 3DS version of it.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Wow, so it's the same game w/ a different title, it got a DS release in Japan and a PS3 release in the west? How does that even happen? It makes no sense.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Get to it Namco Bandai! And while you're at it, give us a new One Piece game already! D:<

xwolf7

xwolf7 said:

Actually it's the same game but the PS3 version has an extended story and some extra features.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

@phoenixology
Good God. You're taking 'not reading the article' to new depths. You don't even have to read the (very short) article to discover it's about the DS game – just the subhead.
It's there in black and white: "DS role-player could find a new lease of life on the 3DS."

ACK

ACK said:

Do I really need to beg?

Unexpected news this late... While we're at it can please discuss Soma Bringer's localization?

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Okay, people need to start bugging their Twitter account, their facebook page, whatever social media sites they're on.

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but please, please let this happen!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

The original is always better and I have had interest in this title ever since day 1 of its announcement for the DS. The PS3 version was good but it wasn't the same unique game that I was hoping for.

Romeo

Romeo said:

so the ds-version is the prequel of the ps3 ni no kuni?

i'd love to play both
prequel on 3ds, make it happen
and the ps3 version for wii u

that'd be great

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I would be pretty happy if this game was remade for the 3DS. I don't want to get a PS3 just so I can try out a Ni No Kuni game.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

I loved Ni No Kuni on PS3 (played it for nearly 100 hours!) but there probably isn't any point in me getting this...if it's the DS version, then it's just the same as the PS3 version but with less content (note to everybody else: the PS3 version wasn't a sequel, it was the same game but with a lot of stuff added).

@rjejr Both the DS and PS3 versions were released in Japan, but the DS version wasn't localized for the West as the included hardback Wizard's Companion book was necessary to play it, whereas the PS3 version just contains scans of the pages for reference (although the limited release Wizard's/Collectors editions did come with an English hardback copy of the Wizard's Companion). And at the point where the DS version ends, there's about another 25-30 hours of storyline/gameplay added onto the PS3 version, including new bosses and areas....the PS3 version is pretty much the definitive version of Ni No Kuni.

bofis

bofis said:

That would be fantastic...the sequel is basically the only game I'm sad I can't play since I don't have a PS3, so bring on the 3DS love!

Windy

Windy said:

This would be a great thing and my first time playing the series. A definate western release buy

Arock

Arock said:

absolutely would buy this if it came out here. Might as well port the PS3 version to Wii U while your at it. ;)

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

@Rafie
I wasn't criticising anything. I was saying 3DS owners would probably want this game more than PS3 owners. The 3D would be good, and you would be able to play it on the go. It's the same game. The graphics are just different, and they would be more like PS3 anyway if they didn't just port it and remade it completely.

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

SCAR you have to stop with these apples to oranges comparisons, you're stifling my logic circuits! Let the PS3 owners enjoy that fantastic game without you being the troll under the bridge that urges them to buy a 3DS when 'er they this way pass.

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

some of us 3ds owners are ps3 owners. and wii owners.

anyway, i'd be on a 3ds version of ni no kuni like syrup on a waffle!

Skeletor

Skeletor said:

I was hoping that at the least, they may make it for Wii U, with the Game Pad substituting the book. I thought that seemed a good way about it. However, this could end up being better!!

SilverSeraph

SilverSeraph said:

Would love to see this on 3DS with the physical book included. Further, would love to see the ps3 version on Wii U (again with the physical book), but with enhanced touch screen spellcasting like DS.

JeanOfmArc

JeanOfmArc said:

I was waiting for the English release of the Nintendo DS version of Ni No Kuni since it came out in Japan! A 3DS version would be even better! :D

TotalHenshin

TotalHenshin said:

I was a little disappointed with NNK for PS3, but I still enjoyed it and would definitely be willing to pick up a 3DS port of the DS game (as I would imagine there'd be space enough for the spellbook on the 3DS cart).

Weedy

Weedy said:

I don't have a PS3 and would love an opportunity to play this game on my 3DS. Where do I sign?!

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

I'm in as all the people who posted before me! ^O^

And if they will really bring it here in case there is enough interest... damn, never see so many "Please bring it here" comments in an article all at once XD What else you need Namco-Bandai?!?! >O<

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

That is the only PS3 game I've put more than 10 hours in evre, and I bought PS3 at launch. If the ds version comes here I plan to buy 2 copies, one for both my 3ds's, lol.

banacheck

banacheck said:

SCAR392,
I know alot more people would probably buy it for 3DS than they would PS3.

I wouldn't bet on that as there is a massive following for RPG's on the PS3, speaking of RPG's cannot wait for Dark Souls2. Anyone thats not played these Dark Souls & Demon's Souls if your into RPG's a must play as well as this game.

mookysam

mookysam said:

Ni No Kuni is easily one of my favourite games of the generation and is one of the best RPGs I've played in recent years.

As others have said, the PS3 version has the same story as the DS one, but with a large epilogue that adds some further story resolution, and a lot of gameplay extras, too. However, from videos I've seen on youtube the battle system is very different in the DS version. I would buy it to experience the game in a different way. :-) The touch screen would also make casting spells more involved.

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

Of the two this is the one I was going to buy, and now Namco has none of my money. I don't have really time for console RPGs with a kid under the age of two as I can't get the time. 3DS I can take on the go or in bed late at night so I could do it. I know it works, it's how I got up towards the end of Tales of Abyss almost exclusively.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Haven't gotten a chance to play Ni No Kuni yet so this is good news, if only because it gives people who still want to pick it up a choice. I've heard nothing but good things about Ni NO Kuni so the more platforms it ends up on the better.

GloryQuestor

GloryQuestor said:

I'd love to play this game, and an updated 3DS version would be the perfect way to do it. :D

(Especially since I'm not an owner of a PS3.)

Bucho

Bucho said:

please make this happen, i already tweeted namco and level 5 about this rumour in hopes it's true, i know it won't help if i say anything but if the masses speak they might make this wonderful masterpiece available in the west.

DangerousDreams

DangerousDreams said:

If Namco could make it worth getting by adding 3ds exclusive features - im thinking something real special with spot pass- then I'd love to have Ni No Kuni in my 3ds collection. Honestly- and evidently- I think fans of RPGs and anime would really enjoy this game either way. So why not? If the people want it... Give it to them,- and me- Namco. You'll be making a lot of us fans happy.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I don't believe it, nor am I interested in it. I have the better PS3 version. I don't need to buy it again, and a lesser version at that.

Rei7

Rei7 said:

The PS3 version is more superior and more in depth. The PS3 version is not a sequel lol! The story is the same but the gameplay is very different. Would recommend everyone to get the PS3 version instead, it's pretty awesome. If you don't have a PS3 then you should get this one, of course.

BennyFresh

BennyFresh said:

I was beyond hyped for this a few years ago. I will buy this day 1 if it comes to the west.

element187

element187 said:

I'll buy it as long as they don't get greedy like Atlus and release their 3DS game for $50.