Rocksteady Confident in Batman: Arkham Origins Developer

Posted by Lee Meyer

Holy vote of confidence, Batman!

When WB Games Montreal was announced as the developer for Batman: Arkham Origins, fans of the series were concerned that things wouldn't be the same without original Arkham developer Rocksteady Studios. In the latest issue of Game Informer, Rocksteady's Sefton Hill said the studio is confident that Batman's in good hands.

Rocksteady is excited to see WB Games Montreal developing the prequel to the Batman Arkham franchise ... We are confident this talented team will craft a fantastic experience, bringing the origins of the Arkhamverse to life.

WB Games Montreal will be utilising the same tools and the modified Unreal engine that Rocksteady used to develop the Arkham series. The prequel to Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City, Arkham Origins will take players back to the early days of Batman's crime-fighting career as he meets many supervillains for the first time. Warner Bros. will also release Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate for the 3DS. The Armature-developed companion piece has been described as a 'Metroidvania-style' adventure.

Are you excited to see the next Arkham game come to Wii U? Do you think WB Games Montreal has what it takes to do the series justice? Let us know in the comments section.

[via computerandvideogames.com, gameinformer.com]

duskao

duskao said:

I'm sure they will do a great job. So much development talent out of Quebec.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

They're hardly going to come out and slate them. I'll be waiting for reviews. I'm not saying it will be bad, but there's no reason to expect a quality game like I would be if RockSteady were making it. So it's wait and see for me.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

To answer the question in the photo caption, I should worry because Rocksteady would be forced to say that even if they didn't believe it.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

Apparently the main guy in charge of the project was also in charge of Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. That alone helps a ton.

Ryno

Ryno said:

After two trips, I don't think I will be returning to Arkhamverse.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I can't exactly say that I will take someone's word that this game will turn out well. I will just wait for the reviews and base my decision off of that.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I'm pretty hype for this. I'm pre-ordering this tomorrow. I think Wanrer Brothers will ensure that an important franchise like Batman: Arkham keeps its quality. Plus if worse comes to worse pre-release reviews will warn me and I will abandon ship.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Like @Peach64 posted, there's no way Rocksteady would bash WB Montreal in the media, especially if it wants to continue working on DC based games, so this does nothing to change my mind. I want to be hyped for this game but I'm just not. This studio is unproven and chances of the game being anywhere near as good as Asylum and City are slim to none. I'm hoping the handheld game shocks me and ends up being good. I like the idea behind it but 3DS/Vita multiplats are always a disaster.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

It might be true Rocksteady is putting on a brave face by complimenting WB Montreal. But then again, WB Montreal could surprise everyone and develop a prequel worthy of the two Batman games before it. And there's also the 3DS game.....c'mon, you knew your eyes perked up when they described it as a "Metroidvania style" title. :P

SpaceApe

SpaceApe said:

Confident they will do a good job. No I am wondering what Rocksteady is up to if they aren't making this game.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Well, considering few people were hoping Arkham Asylum would be any good before release, coming from an unknown studio, then I won't be surprised if they shock everyone like Rocksteady did.

I just hope they do new things instead of just emulating Rocksteady's work.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@SpaceApe

It's probably a next-gen Batman Arkham game, which would be great, but I'd really love the rumors of a Rocksteady-developed Justice League game to end up being true.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

@SpaceApe I would go with what @Gamer83 said. A ninja game by them would be awesome though. (I know they are probably not making one, but hey, a man can dream.)

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

Arkham City: Armoured Edition was one of the most fantastic games I've ever played. I have high hopes for this one as well, and am sure that WB Montreal will do an adequate job, at least.

TonIttou

TonIttou said:

"This studio is unproven and chances of the game being anywhere near as good as Asylum and City are slim to none".

I'm sorry but this doesn't follow, the chances are just as likely that it could be even better than those games, there is no track record to base expectations on with this studio.

I'm willing to bet that Montreal has been given a pretty exhaustive list of house styles for the series, such as the overworld, combat and tone.
I'm not too worried, who knows, maybe they'll pull a Treyarch and make a superior game to the one before it.

Grackler

Grackler said:

@Peach64 Agreed. I hope they'll be great, but only time can tell. Also, that statement couldn't be more PR-y if it tried!

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Batman is a big Franchise for WB, not just the games.
Just becuase a different developer takes the helm doesn't make it an inferior game.
The devolpers now in charge will have the tools that rocksteady would of had with WB games closely watching them.

I'm expecting this to be Just as good as past efforts. Time will tell and its always a bit scary when a great franchise is placed in the hands of someone new. But when you look into it many other franchises have been handled by different developers, and 'most' of the time you wouldn't know if you wasn't told.