Okami Announcement Teased For Next Week

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Just what it is remains a mystery

Capcom’s official Okami Twitter account in Japan has cast its digital ink upon the canvas of the internet, sending the following message as translated by Gematsu:

Hello, this is Okami news. Sorry I’ve been kind of out of touch lately, but I have the feeling we’ll be able to drop a fresh announcement like WHAM! around the beginning of Golden Week, so please look forward to it. Right now we’re on track with preparations.

Golden Week runs from 29th April to 5th May in Japan and includes multiple public holidays. It sounds like a good time to release some Okami news, but whether it will be a remake or a new entry is yet unknown. No mention of any gaming systems comes with the announcement, but with the Okami remake on Wii and Okamiden on the DS, seeing Amaterasu grace a Nintendo console again in some form is a definite possibility.

What kind of Okami title would you like to see, and what would you like to see it on? Let us know by dropping a comment below.

[via twitter.com, gematsu.com]

Related Games

pureval

pureval said:

Wow a definite possibility? I sort of promise to stay tuned. :)

Honestly Okami is one of my favorite series and I will buy pretty much anything they put out.

Mqblank

Mqblank said:

A WiiU remake is not out of the question but would love something new. A new Okami and a new Legend of Zelda game in the same year is too much to wish for.

Rafie

Rafie said:

Yeah I saw this. This could either be for the PS3, PS4, Vita, Wii U, and/or 3DS. No 360! I hope it's Okami 2!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'd love to see Okami 3 on Wii U! :D It could have a control scheme for everyone, it'd be perfect! :D

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

I would buy Okami 2 in a heartbeat if it were true. I would also buy an Okamiden remake for the 3DS if that were the case. As long as it's not iOS I would probably buy it.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

It'll probably just be an Amaterasu themed laptop (Japan exclusive) or USB drive. :P

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

Either the HD version will be coming to Wii U, which would be a great fit, or a new adventure is coming soon. Hopefully we may see two versions of a new game- one for portables and and for home consoles. That would be sweet :-)

JSuede

JSuede said:

If anything has a perfect input device for this franchise, it's the Wii U. I'm liking the prospects of this too considering Nintendo's good relationship with Capcom at the moment.

Watch it be a line of tshirts or something goofy like that.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

I'd like to see what's all the fuss about this series. Playing it on a Wii U would be a great start!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I don't care if it turns out to be a freakin' social game, so long as this series gets more attention.

kevohki

kevohki said:

I'm betting an iPhone game where Amaterasu goes around cancelling other Capcom games with her Celestial Brush.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

Okami 3 for Wii U/ all HD consoles, that would be awesome. The Wii U is perfect for this series.

Harrison_Peter

Harrison_Peter said:

PS3 had Okami HD as an exclusive. I think the announcement will be that it's going to be available for download on the PS Vita. An entirely new game for the 3DS would be awesome, but I don't think that's coming, at least not yet. Hopefully I'm wrong!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Void That actually wouldn't be so bad. If it's anything like Ghost Trick on iOS, it'd probably be a worthy version.

The Vita also wouldn't be a bad place for it.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Why do I get the feeling that it won't be for Wii U. Hopefully it's 3DS but I'm thinking a Sony platform.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

It's either going to be a new game, or a remake, or a port on the iOS, or a new plush toy, or a expanded studio, or a card game......
Anything can happen next week.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

My god if they either re-release Okamiden for the 3ds or even make an all new Okami game I will be so psyched, otherwise I would be VERY disappointed!

allav866

allav866 said:

I never played Okami/Okamiden, so an HD collection of both would be fine with me!

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Didn't like Okamiden as much, kinda wished it was on the 3DS instead. Anyways, hopefully its a new game for either system or Okamiden HD for the Wii U. :p

ToxorAxiom

ToxorAxiom said:

I bought it on PS2, didn't finish it. I bought it again on the Wii, didn't finish it. Then I tried it again by purchasing the HD remaster on the PSN and got the farthest I've ever been by pushing myself to complete it... and I couldn't.

Has anyone stopped to consider how easy this game is? I think that's the biggest turn-off for me about Okami. And don't gi'me that best-adventure-game-that-isn't-a-Zelda-game guff-- at least a classic like ALttP has a challenge, a need to develop controller skill to accomplish the goals. Same for other artsy titles, like Shadow of the Colossus. Okami just feels like going through the motions... artistically.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Enough Okami remakes, announce Okami 2 for the Wii U (and consoles if you might) and I'll scream in joy.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Has to be a touchscreen device for the game to be at its best. So Wii U or Vita (both would be great) and maybe 3DS, if they have the time to uglify the graphics.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

@ToxorAxiom I didn't think Okami was particularly easy...yes, you have Issun pointing out obvious things a lot of the time, but the game still has an absolute ton of content and is huge.....I tend to explore and find as much as I can when I play games, and Okami took me around 45 hours to play through...I also thought a few of the fights were fairly challenging as well even if you immediately knew what to do. There's a fair bit of hand holding in the first few hours but you get a lot more freedom later on. Okamiden was pretty much the same too, on a slightly smaller scale.

@C-Olimar Okamiden was on the original DS and looked fantastic....there's no reason at all to believe that a 3DS Okami game would look ugly.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I would celebrate if a new Okami game was announced or if Okamiden was remade for the Nintendo 3DS! Okami was incredibly fun!

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

Let me guess, a game that will only be released on the PS3, PS4 and Xbox 360. Despite the fact that the average Xbox 360 doesn't give a s...about these kind of games...

Sigh

banacheck

banacheck said:

Okmai is an excellent game which you can get for free if your a PS+ member, Seeing as theres a Okmai HD i think this could well be Okmai 3.

Vriess

Vriess said:

I think/hope that it's going to be a multi platform sequel. PS3, Xbox and Wii U.

erv

erv said:

New, full hd wii U sequel game.

I'd buy it twice if I had to. For each day of the month. With confetti, lots of confetti.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I hope its a sequel and for Wii U, the Wii U touch screen is awesome for this kind of game since it will be more easier to use the Celestial Brush with the touch screen.

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

I say a 3d remake of the original ps2 game for the 3DS, honestly 3DS is the perfect console for that game to reach is true potential

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

i didn't really care for the original all that much, but the art work is really good.
For anyone interested, Udon publishing made an okami artworks book that should still be available online.

Volmun

Volmun said:

id like to see a Okami Den re-make for 3DS or WiiU as i never got the chance to play that. Or a completly new game

Erikdayo

Erikdayo said:

@Donjwolf Okami on Vita would be AMAZING. But I also support them bringing it to the Wii U. Unfortunately, as much as I love my 3DS, I don't think a 3D Okami game would look that great on the 3DS. Would rather see it elsewhere.

Unless they want to do a 2D Okami. Would look great on 3DS. It is kinda neat how my 3DS XL has a scanline look to it. Looks awesome with sprites.

ToxorAxiom

ToxorAxiom said:

@ToxieDogg Considering your avatar, I find it funny that you find Okami even the slightest bit challenging. Because it isn't. Even the fight against Orochi, which I was calming myself down for pre-battle, was a joke-- I could barely finish the fight I was so let down. (I felt like Jake LaMotta goin', "Hit me, you bum!") And I'm not even complaining about the hand-held aspects of Issun that you mentioned. It ultimately doesn't matter how much content there is, or even that there's trophies; I expected some challenge to the gameplay, to which there was none. Viva Pinata had more challenge. And that sums up the gameplay of Okami: all bark, no bite.

Yeah, and it's pretty. Boring.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

I've been looking into the series and I'm getting interested by it. If it is a Wii U remake (or any Nintendo remake for that matter) I will likely pick it up.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@ToxieDogg You're right, of course it wouldn't look ugly! I meant that they would have to downgrade the graphics...

How about 2 new games - one for Wii U and one for 3DS, taking advantage of each system's capabilities? Like with Lego City.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

@ToxorAxiom Different people find different challenges in different games. I've never found Battletoads massively difficult asides from the last couple of stages (the whole game is just mostly a memory test) and my avatar comes from the NES version of Battletoads/Double Dragon which was much, much easier than the original game anyway (well, I thought it was). With Okami, ...yeah, I only died maybe twice the whole time I played it, but that doesn't mean I didn't find parts of it a challenge, or find it difficult to discover everything. It's like Zelda: Wind Waker..,.,that's a very easy game on the surface as well if you just do the basic requirements to get from start to finish,, but if you want to complete it properly/see and do everything, then there's a decent challenge in there.

Pit_96

Pit_96 said:

I want a Okami exclusively for WiiU, the gamepad is great with this title.

ToxorAxiom

ToxorAxiom said:

@ToxieDogg Well, gaming is a pretty subjective medium to begin with, so it's gonna differ from gamer to gamer; our case here being an example. [Shrugs] It happens.

I'll tell you, though, I really wanted to like this game. I'm a big fan of both Viewtiful Joe and especially God Hand, so you can imagine my stubbornness by purchasing the same game three times on three different systems. Maybe it's the challenge that those games gave that had me expecting some of that in Okami. As I said before, even Zelda's ALttP required skill at times, with tension high that I might die. (Not that I expect all games to have a level of difficulty equal to a Treasure shooter.) Still, I digress...

Also had a similar experience with Valkyria Chronicles too-- it has all the elements I love about tactical RPGs, so you'd think I'd be right on board. Yet I didn't expect the Monster Hunter series to grab me like it has either... so, go figure, right? =S

Gregor

Gregor said:

@ToxieDogg I could really see where this game would get boring for me because of difficulty so I didn't level up health or Astral Pouch (if I had known what it did I would have never gotten it). Only thing I leveled up was money once and all the rest went to ink because I like the brush attacks. Still... The game is a bit too easy. Oh well, at least it's long and enjoyable. That first fight with Waka though is CHEAP!

Gregor

Gregor said:

@Erikdayo stop trying to bring the Vita back to life when Nintendo is trying to bury it. Screw Sony they never come up with anything original.

Gregor

Gregor said:

@ferthepoet no, the 3DS is good, but its not THAT good. Take into account how big Okami is and how piss poor the game would look on that small screen.

Gregor

Gregor said:

@ouroborous yes, of course make it for the 3DS, ya know, if ya want it to be about 30 hours long maximum and look and control like garbage. Ya know... if you're into that kinda stuff.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Fusion14 LOL WOW! Strictly Ninty, eh? Well good for you. However, I'm gonna get this on the PS3 or Vita. If you can do something cool with the game pad, then I'll even double dip!