Nintendo To Reveal Retro's New Wii U Game "In The Not So Distant Future"

Posted by Damien McFerran

Counting down the days

Are you dying to know what Retro Studios is working on right now? Well you won't have to wait much longer, because Nintendo's Hiro Yamada has told Official Nintendo Magazine that the company will be lifting the lid on the new Wii U title soon.

Retro moved to larger offices last year, presumably to enlarge its workforce for new developments — one which is sure to be the new Wii U title in question.

ONM: If Retro aren't making Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, what are they making? Does it involve a certain bounty hunter?

Hiro Yamada: I wonder what kind of game it is? I hope to introduce it to you in the not so distant future.

Reggie Fils-Aime has already started hyping Retro's new project, and given the power of the Wii U, it's wise to expect something special.

Will it be a new Metroid Prime? Or has Nintendo allowed the US studio to tackle one of its other franchises, like F-Zero, Star Fox or even Zelda?

Drop a comment to tell us your personal prediction.

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

Grumpalo

Grumpalo said:

I would be more than ok with Retro working on Metroid, Star Fox or even (unlikley at best) a new F Zero. Though given the job they did last time I think I'd rather Sega got another go at that one.
I really don't think they're going to have been given Zelda, though i'd be happy to be proven wrong!

CapnPancakes

CapnPancakes said:

Considering Metroid Prime 3 left room for a sequel in its ending, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the next entry in the Prime series.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@Squiggle55
Already confirmed not to be Zelda :) Apparently they were "too busy to work on a Zelda title".

@Grumpalo
Wouldn't it be better for some other company than RETRO to work on a game like that? Would seem like somewhat of a waste to make a 2D platformer with game designers from Vigil, Crytek and Naughty Dog joining in IMO.

All of those are companies known for great/amazing looking 3D titles.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

PLEASE BE STAR FOX. Even though I think Metroid Prime should just stay a Trilogy, making a 4th Prime would be a pretty good way to make up for Other: M. I still rather have Star Fox, though.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'm really looking forward to the reveal. I actually hope it's a new IP, but I'm not expecting that.

So do we think they'll reveal it before E3?

I-U

I-U said:

Considering how much expansion they've given the series through their Prime games, I would like to see where they would go to next with the Metroid Series. If not that, I want to see how they handle a new IP of their own instead of having their creativity regulated towards already established franchises.

Ryo_Hazuki-san

Ryo_Hazuki-san said:

hope its metroid because wii u needs a flagship FPS! imagine playing metroid online battles ! man the possibilities are endless for that universe!

rjejr

rjejr said:

Their stuff is always impressive, so whatever they do it'll be a great and much needed addition to the WiiU library.

TheArabSamurai

TheArabSamurai said:

Please be a new F-Zero game! WE HAVENT SEEN ONE IN YEEAAARRRRSS.

Or a new Starfox game thats similar to assault. But with the on ground levels toned down, but keep it in the game.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@TheArabSamurai NOOO nothing like Assault! No offence meant, but nothing like that game!

I guess I'd be okay with a new StarFox if they didn't mess it up like Assault or Command...(I liked Adventures a lot actually)

On the other hand, those two make me want there to not be another one. :O But yes, a new F-Zero would be welcome!

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

I would love to see all of the above but if I choose one it will always be prime. God it would be amazing please make it happen

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Metroid Prime 4 + Wii remote Plus in 720p HD with Next Gen Nintendo graphics? pwettey pwease? :*

Ryno

Ryno said:

@WaveBoy: You know you want dat StarTropics 3! Just imagine the StarTropics world on the Wii U. It would be a Waveboy paradise! Anyway, you hooked up your Wii U yet?

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Why does it have to be Prime? That should stay a trilogy IMO.

I'd rather have them continue on Hunters, adding multiplayer to the FPS Metroid games. They could make a new Metroid trilogy from there with its own story and characters.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

If only there was some kind of Expo for Electronic Entertainment that they could present these games at. Oh well...

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Metroid Prime is one of the greatest games I've ever played.
BUT I really hope Retro isn't working on another Prime game.
Take another classic franchise and flip the conventions around, like Sakurai did with Kid Icarus. I just want to be surprised and intrigued: A Prime 4 would be like, "Oh, okay, I know what this will be."

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I hope its Metroid or a new IP. I dont really want retro working on something like f-zero. SEGA or Nintendo should do that. Wii U needs a metroid game, or something totally new and exciting to get people excited. Mario and Smash Bros will help, but i think people want to see some fresh ideas aimed at an audience that likes more mature titles. ZombiU tried to do that, but it ended up being a bit too divisive. So thats what i'd like to see... Whatever it is, retro makes good games, so i cant wait to play it.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

F-ZEROOOOOOOOOOO!!! A direct sequel to GX. IT WILL BE THE BEST GAME EVER!!! (unless Sega is working on it like they did GX).
Sorry, gotta use caps lock, since F-Zero needs more love. It´s been nine years since the last one.

A new IP would be great to see from them. Unless Sega is working on F-Zero, I want Retro Studios to handle that.

Xero

Xero said:

Maybe with Retro's recent platforming experience with DKC Returns, we will get a proper 2D/3D Metroid =D. Other M....I want to forget.

mch

mch said:

I hope it´s nothing in 2d.. I like to see open 3d-worlds now on my Wii U

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I really hope it is a new Star Fox entry, but anything from them will be solid! F-Zero, a new IP, Metroid!... I don't think they are doing a new Zelda, but I could be wrong.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

@Five-seveN Assault was a better STAR FOX game than Adventures. Why not have it like Star Fox Assault, it would've been perfect if the ground battles were a little better.

DePapier

DePapier said:

I really hope they're rebooting Metroid Prime, but not under the same name since the trilogy is over, and the team leaders who made it have left the company. The GamePad can bring some tremondous benefits to this series, and there would also be the ability to play either with the Nunchuck or the dual sticks so that newcomers from the PS360 would not be lost having to play with the Wiimote+Nunchuck combo. Again, to catch those future customers, the dark atmosphere of Metroid is I believe the best opportunity and is the closest a reknown Nintendo franchise is to major FPS of PS360 fans. What's more, given how impressive the graphics of Trilogy are on Wii U, the high-end graphics of a new 3D Metroid on Wii U would establish the Wii U to be next-gen, as I could guarantee it to be on par with PS4/NextBox launch titles in terms of graphics.

Anyway, they know what they're doing.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I think they would be a wonderful choice for Star Fox, but they can work on any series and it would be good.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@HeatBombastic Opinions I guess. To me at least, Adventures is way better than Assault. A few big problems I have with Assault are that it's so short, has graphics nowhere near as good as Adventures, awful voice acting (Falco's about the only one that didn't irritate me), awkward ground controls/boring ground missions, and in my opinion, not a very good story line. Overall, I give it a 3/10, but that's just my opinion remember! One thing it does have is a pretty good soundtrack though. Adventures had boring, unvaried combat and not a terribly great story line either, but I at least enjoyed the gameplay MUCH more than Assault...And I rather like Other M's narrative.

Don't get me started on SF Command.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'm really eager to see what Retro is working on! I'm counting down the days until it is revealed.

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

Whatever they're working on I'm sure they will do a fantastic job like they've always done. I'm really hoping it's a new F-Zero though, really hoping, but if not I'm sure it will still be awesome.

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

I'd love to see another Starfox game or something entirily new!
Which way I expect nothing less than spectacular from Retro!

LDXD

LDXD said:

I'm hoping its metroid but one things certain what ever it is it's going to be awesome

Mizore

Mizore said:

Knowing Retro, its probably going to end up being the best looking game on the Wii U. :p

Onett

Onett said:

There is absolutely no way Nintendo would let a 3rd party developer touch The Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Bros. Those are the only two remaining IP's that are still developed first party. Almost all of Nintendo's IP's have been thrown out to 3rd party developers. I'm willing to bet that it is Star Fox U. It's been far too long and Star Fox U would act as a great introduction to the use of the game pad for newcomers.

@THIZZLERS209 There is no Star Fox Wii. :)

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@Onett
Capcom has already developed two Zelda titles. So third party developed first party games aren't unlikely.

Also, RETRO Studios is a first Nintendo party studio.

Nibelilt

Nibelilt said:

I hope that it is a Star Fox or F-Zero game because even though I would like a new Metroid the other two have been absent from new game lineups for longer.

Mizore

Mizore said:

Yea Retro Studios isn't 3rd party, and Robb already pointed out that Zelda has been developed by a 3rd party before. And I dunno about the "Bros" games, but Mario has been handled by other developers before too, plenty of times. (heck, even back in the SNES days, a 3rd party developer made a Mario game, and an awesome one at that)

Onett

Onett said:

@19Robb92 I can't believe I didn't realize that Retro was a subsidiary of Nintendo. Either way, I can't imagine Retro making another Mario game after the large amount of Mario games we've seen in recent months. The only time Capcom got together with Nintendo to 'officially' work on a Zelda title was for Minish Cap & Four Swords which was around 2004. Does anybody know if they got together for another project since?

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@Onett
It's easy to forget, its the same thing with Monolith Soft.

And I agree. I doubt it's Mario, I'm pretty sure Iwata even said that their EAD Team behind 3D Land and Galaxy 1/2 is working on the next Mario title. We also know it's not Zelda, since Miyamoto confirmed that. I'm really curios! :D

Stark_Nebula

Stark_Nebula said:

I'd have to say they're working on a Starfox game. It'd suit with what Retro has done and it is in some ways closer to Metroid than F-Zero in that it is a type of shooter. Though F-Zero is a racer; an equally stereotypical 'murican genre.
My hopes are for a new F-Zero! Retro + F-Zero would be a killer combination!

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

It's not Metroid. It's probably Starfox. Samus has had more games than both of those series combined, which is more reason to give it a break.

Hejiru

Hejiru said:

I'm pretty sure we can rule out F-Zero based on what Miyamoto said recently.

ianmage1

ianmage1 said:

Star Fox or Metroid. You can't go wrong with either one! Seeing them in HD is so exciting.

QuickSilver88

QuickSilver88 said:

Yeah I don't think it will be Zelda or Mario Game as they like to keep them at at home in Japan. Starfox and F-Zero were sadly missing last generation but a true 3D DK platformer has not been seen since N64. I don't know what will happen with Eternal Darkness 2 as Silicon Knights was supposedly working on it before they got their pants sued off by Epic games. I for one loved Starfox adventures and never really dug the shooter games much. Honestly Metroid would probably bring the most bang for the buck with system sales and the gamepad could be used as an active scanner which was a big part of the prime mechanics.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Not so distant future? That could be as little as a couple of weeks, or as much as a year, going off of Nintendo's history. I would think it would be in their best interests to have this thing playable at E3, considering the sad state of the Wii U at the moment. I wouldn't mind an HD sequel to DKCR, but it's my greatest hope that they are working on a sidescrolling Metroid 5.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

It's not a Donkey Kong or Metroid game guys. They said they were taking a break from those games. Don't ask me for a link either(annoying), I read it in Nintendo Power in terms of Metroid years ago after they completed Prime 3, and they confirmed themselves that it wasn't DK just recently.
It's most likely Starfox. I just hate hearing wishes that it will be Metroid or DK when they've already stated it wasn't.

ompgsag

ompgsag said:

Hopefully not another FPS Metroid. The franchise needs a new sidescrolling entry or else I'll just abandon it.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

@baba_944
It's ok. Honestly, I've been hearing, "I hope it's Metroid/DK" for months, but we've also had info that tells us it's not those games from Retro themselves. Doesn't matter I guess, but I know for a fact it's not those games just from paying attention.

gavn64

gavn64 said:

YYYEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BRING.... ON.... THE.... NEWWWWSSSSS! :)

LonDonE

LonDonE said:

@Yellowgerbil you an me both, hell i only bought the wii-u at launch for over £350 after hearing retrp had a secret project. i was hoping an praying that it would be a new metroid prime game, lord knows the wii-u needs a flagship fps game which pushes the systems hardware, an shows all the doubters that the wii-u can de;liver a true hd experience! the game pad would be awesome for it, i can think of no better developer to make a game which pushes the wii-u gpgpu an blows everyone away

Emaan

Emaan said:

As much as I love the Metroid Prime games, I'd much rather see a new F-Zero or Starfox game made by the talented Retro Studios team. :O

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

@19Robb92
No offense, but that's one of the worst links I've ever seen.
They want to do new stuff. They've sais that. Anyone that actually likes Nintendo knows that they need to give Metroid a rest for while. Starfox and F-Zero have been very neglected, and a true Nintendo fan would choose either of those 2 over a new Metroid as things currently stand.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@SCAR392
Why in the world would the link matter? It's the quote that's of interest.

Also, I know loads people that love Nintendo who wants RETRO back in charge of that franchise.

PokeTune

PokeTune said:

I expect it to be an already existing Nintendo franchise instead of a new IP.*sigh*Such wasted talent...

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

@19Robb92
The link is what led me to the quote.
My point is, is that most of the people asking for Retro to make another Metroid don't even like the Wii U in its current standing.
It would make more sense if people were asking for a new Starfox or F-Zero, because we've already had tons of Metroid.

skjia

skjia said:

Honestly, whatever it is, I'm excited for it. They seem to have a great way of combining nostalgia with new ideas so the games feel familiar and fresh at the same time. I just hope it releases soon. That would be a nice surprise boost for the Wii U :D

CountEkkiM

CountEkkiM said:

metroid u!!! 2D sidescrolling. i can imagine metroi in full hd, map on your gamepad and weapon select also.. trine2 give me that 2d love back and that game looks amazing!

NMH-TRI

NMH-TRI said:

If I find out that it's ETERNAL DARKNESS 2. I will have to immediately change my shorts. Let it be so!

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

Ummmm, that sounds suspicious, I think it will be metroid, star fox or even donkey kong country returns 2, but I think it will be on both systems, wii u and 3ds. Maybe that's why they will launch dkcr 3d in a month, to indirectly connect with dkcr 2 for extra features or something.....

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

If it's a new IP, i hope it works better than...all their other attempts (all of which were cancelled before Metroid Prime)

cdawg

cdawg said:

Its a new metroid u series. Thats their baby. If that is the case then it makes the wii u a buy for me.

When I see the release lineup for the wii u and see no titles I realize where nintendo starts to fail. Guys like Retro should be at the forefront and nintendo should give them the fire power to work on many different titles at the same time. Their efforts and funding should be placed on getting their most talented developers pushing out games gamers want to play specially if 3rd party titles are playing hard to get. Retro certainly fits the bill on all accounts and I think they may be important players in making the wii u attractive for consumers.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Metroid Prime 4 or some re-invention of a deep single player franchise, please. No Star Fox or F-Zero; any other studio could handle that. In fact, lend the Star Fox license to Treasure and the F-Zero license to Sega or Shin'en.

Havkri

Havkri said:

as much as i like metroid, i really hope for a new starfox game. been wanting to play one so bad after Starfox Assault.

galaxygarrison

galaxygarrison said:

You will be very happy when you find out what the game is, and you will be even more excited when you see it.

Also, will the next Sega & Nintendo colaboration be an HD collection of Shenmue 1 & 2 before desired Shenmue 3? I don't know, we shall see. I'm glad we will be able to continue game saves from 1 through 3 on that note, of course if this is true about project Dragon & project Phoenix.

What would be the reason for Nintendo and T-Mobile to meet?