New Zelda Documentary Seeks To Explain The Cultural Significance Of The Series

Posted by Damien McFerran

$50,000 of Kickstarter funding required

Film-maker Joe Granato has taken to Kickstarter to fund a documentary which aims to explain the "ubiquity and cultural influence of the Legend of Zelda game franchise".

It's Dangerous To Go Alone...The Movie will "examine the pervasive fascination for 8-bit gaming beyond nostalgia," according to Granato. "It will explore the roots of the innate, international appeal of this game series that bridges across cultural divides. And for those of you who have invested thousands of hours in the world of Hyrule, it will validate your passion."

$50,000 is the target goal, and the film has raised just under $3,000 of that total at the time of writing. Those who pledge $5,000 or more will unlock the super-exclusive "Triforce of Power" package, and earn the title of Executive Producer.

You can check out the Kickstarter pledge video below. Will you be chucking in a few rupees to help get this movie made?

[via kickstarter.com, digitalspy.co.uk]

MegaWattsAdmin

MegaWatts said:

This sounds like a nice idea for the project, but unless they're able to crack open Nintendo and speak to some of the key influences behind the franchise, I'm not sure how in-depth and entertaining it can be.

Jaco

Jaco said:

Im not really a kickstarter person as I really dont have any money to give right now but I'd be more interested in the project if I knew more about it

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

@Jukilum yeah if your amking avatar,
you should watch primer, looks great, crazy movie, only $7000, and now hes making a movie with an actual budget, if you want people to pay for your movie prove you can make one without a giant budget

-Crystalline-

-Crystalline- said:

Yep, I also think he's asking for way too much. I'm sure a proper project can be achieved for much less than the required value.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I think it looks pretty cool. I don't think he'll make it though, mostly because of the tiers. In my experience a Kickstarter is really only successful when a backer can get at least a digital copy of the movie/game for $10 or $15. The fact that you only get a DVD at $25 will kill this, I'm calling it now. Heck, I know I would chip in a little to get a digital copy, but $25 is too much.

tsm7

tsm7 said:

I watched the trailer. I love zelda but this film seems a bit overdramatic.

Gregor

Gregor said:

@Wilford111 someone watches Jon-Tron.

Anyways, I think they should focus on more than just the original Zelda game. If they make this with their minds stuck in the past I'm gonna be pissed. Majora's Mask better get covered in this thing or else I calling that they used the monies for pot

BennyFresh

BennyFresh said:

People think $50,000 is a LOT of money? What?
This guy is trying to produce a full-length documentary in only 8 months with only $50,000. That price is what is making me skeptical about the project.
I guess most people don't realize how much goes into video production, but to put things in perspective, professional quality video cameras can be 15,000-25,000 dollars or more. Renting equipment can cost hundreds of dollars a day. After you secure all the equipment you need to pay the whole crew, which might not be big for something like this, but that will still be expensive. Editing the video itself, effects and color correction, logo designs, publishing DVDs are all separate expenses too.
That's not even close to everything he would need to pay for. $50,000 is pretty optimistic I think.
He didn't include directly what all of the money would go toward on the page, which most people do, so I can see why not everyone would get it.

BennyFresh

BennyFresh said:

@hydeks A ton of great things have been funded through kickstarter and only exist because they were able to get money through the site. I don't even know how you could be annoyed by it.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

I'll throw in for Kickstarter when he does a documentary on what started MY obsession with Zelda... Zelda II.

jangonov

jangonov said:

at 1:09 you can see my co worker. They came in to interview me. It was such a great experience, and we all had a lot of fun.