New Mode And Items Confirmed For Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

Posted by Andy Green

Also features eight exclusive levels

We recently touched upon a product listing for Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D on the Nintendo UK website, which revealed some new elements for the 3DS port, including an easy mode and new items.

These features were confirmed during today's 3DS-focused Nintendo Direct, where Satoru Iwata called the game a "perfect fit" for the handheld.

The game has been adapted to be more suitable for gamers who play in smaller bursts. Iwata said it was designed on Wii for people who played in longer stretches and the developer felt a change was needed for the 3DS version.

For this reason a new mode has been created, which gives the player an additional heart, allowing you to take another hit. Diddy Kong also has an extra heart as well, meaning you can get hit five times instead of three.

More items have also been added to make things a little easier including portable DK barrels to bring back young Diddy Kong should you lose him and some green balloons, which can be used to stop you from falling down those oh-so-pesky bottomless pits.

There's also a Crash Guard item, which allows you to take a couple of hits without plummeting to your doom when riding the rocket barrel or mine cart. We're assuming all these items will be available to buy from Cranky's shack.

Naturally, this makes things a whole lot easier, but it's just an optional mode so purists will still get the same experience they found on the Wii version. Donkey Kong Country Returns was a very challenging game, so it's good that this new mode is included so new players can ease themselves in.

The 3DS version also features 8 brand new exclusive levels for those who complete the game - which is not too shabby.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D will be available to purchase from 24th May in North America and Europe.

What are your thoughts on the new mode and additions? Let us know in the comments section.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

This is shaping up to be the definitive version! I never beat the first one so this might get me to actually beat the game! So looking forward to having this gem with me where ever I go!

And plus I don't get this notion of short bursts. I sometimes play my 3ds for hours at a time. Yes short bursts are easier but I prefer to play for hours at a time on any system.

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

I'm pretty excited for this... I never played the Wii version. Of course, I will play on the natural difficulty with the lower hearts the better.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

have this game preordered. never got the Wii version so I am super excited for this game.

bofis

bofis said:

I totally never played through the Wii version because I hated having to shake the WiiMote to pound the ground and stuff. I look forward to the 3DS remake having a button combo for that instead. Also I think the 3DS lends itself really well to sidescrollers with 3d graphics.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I was already going to get this game regardless, but the annoucement of new levels just adds further icing to the cake. I won't be using the Easy Mode, though, because I can already handle the challenge.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

No easy mode for me. I'm going hardcore, baby! winks and thumb up

...though, to be honest, the Crash Guard sounds useful.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

The article says, "Diddy Kong also has an extra heart as well, meaning you can get hit five times instead of three."
Isn't that supposed to be "six" instead of "five?"

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

I haven't played the Wii version so at least this will be a fresh experience for me. :)

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

new levels = awesome
finally a re-release that has worthwhile additions
not just some multiplayer crap or "slightly enhanced graphics" or a damn rush mode, etc

Znerd

Znerd said:

cool cause the game did get brutal at times making the game easier is alot better

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

@StephenYap3 It's probably because the mine cart/rocket barrel levels should have had an additional hit like the original games. I have no idea why they changed that except to make it more frustrating.

Either way, I'm looking forward to this. I enjoyed the original version quite a bit.

Weedy

Weedy said:

The screen looks to have a lot going on which makes it hard to follow on the small screen; I watched the 3D trailer on the eshop.
I think I'll wait for a demo to make my mind up but I did enjoy the old N64 version.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@NintendoPro64: I personally enjoyed the "shake to ground pound" controls. With the remote by itself; never got into the Remote + Nunchuk. I especially liked it when you hit the DK on the Barrel Slot at the end of a level or when you defeated a boss.

As for the "New Mode", I'll probably jump into that. I mean, yeah, I conquered the main game and Mirror Mode on the Wii (I can still remember the 4th Key Temple in Mirror Mode - took me about 5 hours to finally get it. That was the only thing I played that summer night), but to be able to take a couple more hits before death does sound appealing - especially for World 8. And that Mine Cart Health upgrade would REALLY help out in Crowded Cavern (I still hate those bats with a passion). But then, there's multiple files, so I could play Original Mode too.

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

this is good for me if i choose to buy it. if the wii version is really that hard, than i might not have been able to beat it. i cant even beat the original megaman. (i know, sad)

NintendoCat14

NintendoCat14 said:

I'm still not going to buy this. I got this game only 3 years ago, why do I need it again for only $10 less?

Gregor

Gregor said:

@Eisenbolan 1. DK64 was developed by Rareware and nintendo is very reluctant to bring up any of their games due to their cautious nature.
2. Mario kart 64 was never re-released in the DS. We got mario kart DS. I've just about had it with all you morons.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

@NintendoCat14 Because the Wii version isn't portable, the completely unnecessary 'waggle' controls have been removed and the 3DS version has extra levels maybe?

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I'd rather play the Wii version first, on the big screen + in 60 frames per second. ;)

LordessMeep

LordessMeep said:

Hmm... will pick it up somewhere down the line. Have to restrict myself to AC:NL, Pokemon X/Y and LttP 3DS this year. TAT

@Tech101 - Actually, in Japan, people game on their commute a lot. This was the reason why NSMB2 stages were so short, so that they could be completed quickly. I play on my commute myself, so playing in short bursts is better for platformers and it makes the game more portable. Shorter levels mean shorter times to finish them unlike an enormous level that'd take you a longer time. And if you have to pause in an awkward place to get off at your stop, tough. :P

In any case, the classic mode should appease you. :D