NetherRealm Had A Tough Time Building The Roster For Injustice: Gods Among Us

Posted by Andy Green

The fighter features a three button playing style

Upcoming beat 'em up Injustice: Gods Among Us features a plethora of characters from the DC universe and is fighting its way onto consoles on 16th April in North America and 19th April in Europe.

Considering just how many characters have graced the pages of DC comics over the years, its understandable that the developer NetherRealm Studios couldn't include them all. In an interview with Siliconera, the game's producer Erin Piepergerdes said there was plenty of heated debates over which characters should make it and which ones would be cut, but in the end it was logic that made the choices more than anything else:

Obviously, we want to have a mix of big power characters like Solomon Grundy and Bane as well as a mix of the more agile guys like Flash and Nightwing. We look for a good mix of powers and styles. We kind of put characters in a few different broad categories and from there make sure we’re pulling evenly. While paying attention to at the same time fan favorites as well as we got some characters in there that are maybe a little more obscure to appeal to fans of the comic books. There are a lot of things we have to juggle and balance so it is certainly not an easy process by any means.

Naturally, fan favourites such as Batman, Bane, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Joker, Green Arrow, The Flash and Green Lantern will all be playable but that doesn't mean all members of the team were totally happy with the selections, with Piepergerdes saying there was one particular character he would have liked to have seen included:

Detective Chimp. I’m not even lying. Adam [Urbano] and I have been fighting to get Detective Chimp in the game, but we were overruled. It’s probably a little too crazy. We have fun making our games, but at the end of the game we want it to be a serious game and not super silly.

NetherRealm is well versed in fighters - its previous games include Mortal Kombat - but the studio didn't want to create an identical experience, instead it opted to try new things. Injustice: Gods Among Us features a playing style similar to Street Fighter in that there are three buttons to attack, with blocking being done by walking backwards.

Piepergerdes said this new style was implemented to freshen things up, but also to attract a more broader audience:

The three button control scheme does tend to lend itself well to a more casual market. Also, this game is teen rated compared to our last game, Mortal Kombat, being rated M. It does go into our thought process to reach a larger audience.

As with most fighters, DLC will most likely be available for Injustice: Gods Among us at some point down the line. Piepergerdes said the DC universe has "a lot of content" that can be added to help expand the game's longevity.

The Wii U edition will largely be the same as the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, although it does feature some GamePad specific extras such as off-TV play.

What are your thoughts on Injustice: Gods Among Us? Are you interested in it? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via siliconera.com]

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I do like the roster, but the one serious omission I care about though is Martian Manhunter. I really don't see why he isn't in the game, he had quite a lot of potential I think. And I don't why Shazam and Black Adam are both in, since they have very similar powers. And the design of Raven is a bit off, but now I'm just nit-picking.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

@Bulby I thought the same thing. The main person they forgot was Martian Manhunter as well! But they are unveiling one mystery character on Monday, so I bet it will be him!

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

I would have liked to see Robin in the game too. I am they have Nightwing, but maybe they will have a Robin skin or something.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

When I played the demo on PS3 I wasn't as hooked by the gameplay as I was hoping. MK 9 is my favorite fighting game since the 16-bit days and I was hoping for a play style closer to that. Still really looking forward to the game though, if nothing else I expect the story to be great.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I've never been a fan of fighting games, but this might be too good to pass up. The roster has been shaping up very nicely.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I am not too versed in the DC universe, but I like fighting games and I liked their Mortal Kombat, so I will be checking reviews for this one. Nice to have two systems options for this game. My Wii U could use a second fighting game.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

It's extreamly possible for Nightwing to have a Robin skin later on. There's a little spoiler in the Story Mode but I won't mention it.

I think either Martian Manhunter or Lobo will be the character revealed Monday.

luminalace

luminalace said:

My interest has gone up now that it's following the Street Fighter style even though I do like Mortal Kombat. I think I'm going to try get this.

nomeacuerdo

nomeacuerdo said:

The clash scenes and the change of screens are really awesome. This game looks fantastic and I can't wait to have it!

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

Thank you for reporting rule-breaking comments instead of sitting back and making catty remarks about the moderation team. If we don't know there's a problem, it won't get fixed, after all — TBD

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

I think Martian Manhunter will probably be the first DLC character. Speaking of which, I am so relieved to hear that the Wii U version will have DLC.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

I was half-hoping to see the Watchmen make an appearance. I know they're not "officially part of the DC Universe" (mocking voice), but wouldn't it be awesome to see Rorschach, Night Owl, and even Dr Manhattan in this game?!

Also, Batman Beyond deserves a spot on the roster.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

@KaiserGX Skin is one thing, but wouldn't you agree that their fighting styles would be largely different? The stealth suit, the enhanced strength (balanced by his inexperience), the jet-boots, etc, all would make for a great addition to the roster.

Royalblues

Royalblues said:

Boss: Okay guys, let's see who we're going to put in the game...

Jim: Superguy, Batperson, Strongchick, uh... Fast guy, Lamp man, uh... okay so we got the black guy... we got the uh, the assassin, we got the hooded chick, laughing man and wife, ooh catgirls, I love my cat girls, we have robin hood....
Tom, are we missing anyone here?

Tom: Uh yeah, did we include the Grey Hulking mass? The alien?

Jim: Uh yeah we got those........

Boss: Mission accomplished.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

Would have been cool to see Beast Boy and Star Fire in there so they can have the complete teen titans team in there.

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

The real kickbutt characters here would be: the question, animal man, dr. fate, wildcat, black canary, man-bat, the spectre, zatanna and jonah hex. And loving seriously killer frost? in action man-bat would be a much better option, imagine that giant bat fighting to death with batman or nightwing.

@AltDotNerd As a fan of watchmen and rorschach, it would be nice to see the official "watchman of dc" make it as dlc: The Question; the character that was moore's inspiration for the creation of rorschach.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

I would have liked to see the Spectre, but I'm sure he would be overpowered as all hell.

Rafie

Rafie said:

I just want BB and Starfire to make an appearance to comeplete the Teen Titans (well with Robin being Nightwing may not "technically be complete). Zatana or Captain Atom would be healthy additions....even Zod!

Byron-3D

Byron-3D said:

Looks good, i really enjoyed Mortal Kombat (the 1st mk game ive liked since MK3 Ultimate) hopefully this is just a fun

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@FOURSIDE_BOY I've always wondered, what can the Question actually do in a fight? It seems like all he's good for is looking for conspiracies and hiding his own face.