Iwata Reveals More Details On New Super Luigi U

Posted by Lee Meyer

No bros allowed

Satoru Iwata revealed more details about New Super Luigi U, the upcoming downloadable expansion for New Super Mario Bros. U, during today's Nintendo Direct presentation. First revealed in February as part of Nintendo's Year of Luigi, New Super Luigi U takes the "Bros." out of the equation, giving Mario's clumsy green brother the spotlight.

While the world map will remain the same, all 82 stages have been redesigned to take advantage of Luigi's unique abilities. Luigi will be able to jump higher than Mario, but may have trouble stopping after a dash. Many of the stages will start the timer on 100 seconds and challenge Luigi with several obstacles. Iwata noted that these shorter, more frantic stages are designed to encourage multiple playthroughs.

New Super Luigi U is one of many games being released during the Year of Luigi, along with Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, Mario Golf: World Tour, and a new Mario Party title for the 3DS. New Super Luigi U is slated to be released this summer in the US and Europe, with a Winter window for Australia and New Zealand.

Are you excited for New Super Luigi U? What other "Year of Luigi" games are you looking forward to? Let us know in the comments section.

[via nintendo.com]

kobe1724

kobe1724 said:

I love how they brought back Luigi's unique traits in this; in NSMBWii and NSMBU, even when you play him, he is the exact same as Mario (as are the Toads/Miis). I'm definitely getting this, although I hope it isn't too expensive.

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

I really like how they removed the "bros." from the name to say "mario has to share his main series with the younger brother while luigi gets the spotlight just for himself on both main and secondary series! GO LUIGI!"
and GO LUIGI!

malown

malown said:

Definitely gonna get this one. Today was really a great day for nintendo-fans :)

BradPJ

BradPJ said:

Feel quite inclined to get New Super Mario Bros U just so I can get this DLC. The New Super Mario Bros series has began to bore me as of late so I haven't picked this up yet, however the DLC looks different enough for me to enjoy (in the sense of very fast levels).

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

My only complainment is that they didn´t bother to make a new world map. Now we know where the secret exits are. Although, that isn´t entirely bad thing, it´s better when they tell from which level to look for them, like in Super Mario World.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@NintendoNaut Over 80 entirely new and complete stages ? What did you expect from a DLC ? Something like this would be a full new game. This DLC is more of a "challenge mode". The stages are shorter, time limit is set to 100 time units and Luigis controlls are slightly harder and more slippery.
It is still a huge feed that thei did with it, since proper level design is one of the hardest aspects of making a platformer.

@BradPJ NSMB bore me to tears, believe me. I didnt even finish any of the previous installments, but blasted through the WiiU version ;) Its really awesome and a lot of fun. And the implementation of the MiiVerse motivates a lot.

rjejr

rjejr said:

For the people who played the original - is 100 seconds going to be an issue?

I have no desire to play the same level 18 times b/c time keeps running out while Luigi is mid flight on his way to the final flag. I really have never understood why a platformer even needs a timer except for a speed run after beating the level normally. If this whole game is meant to be a speed run then count us out.

gefflt

gefflt said:

1. Are the levels completely new?
2. Do all the levels start with 100 seconds? I know it says "many" in the article but I believe I heard "all" when I was watching the NA Nintendo Direct.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I don't know if these levels are really remixes. Some of them seem completely new to me, mainly the one with the giant dinosaur skeleton and the sky level with the rainbow structure. This does seem like it's going to be harder than the main game.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Goody goody! I hope another DLC will make the Toads and Miis playable by Player 1 in the Main Game or NSLU, though no new levels.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

I guess it'll be like the lock-on feature for Sonic & Knuckles in which Knuckles saw a different version of the same levels than Sonic or Tails did.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Bit weird that the levels need changing if the character dynamics have been changed. Wouldn't doing the same level with a different character BE the challenge? I unlocked Luigi in Mario galaxy and the best thing about it was the same level played differently with his faster,slippery style!

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

time limit levels suck man.... same goes for that in the 3DS version "extra levels" which arent really extra levels since they are timed and not are not part of another world in the game either, which is also lame.
give us a new land to conquer, new levels, new bosses and enemies, not just a damn re-skin with somewhat altered controls.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

They're brand new levels. None of the levels shown in the direct are in NSMBU.

I would say they're more focused and challenging stages probably more based around SMB3 stage length. I doubt the time limit will be much of a factor. Looking at the footage it seems like the challenge is in the obstacles.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I purchased New Super Mario Bros. U at launch in my moment of weakness in wanting to see a Nintendo game in 1080p. I did not enjoy the game, and will not buy the DLC.

For people who like the game, this looks like nice DLC.

Danieats

Danieats said:

They've always been called mario bros so is mario there second name as well so his name is mario mario so what is there second name ?

iphys

iphys said:

What I really want to know is whether the price will be reasonable or not. If the stages are only 100 seconds long, and I'm guessing those are faster than real life seconds, then it's probably barely better than an hour of content. I hope the difficulty will hide that at least, and make it more exciting than the way Mario games are made these days.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@Luffymcduck: Sure, we'll know where the exits are on the map - so we don't have to think "which levels have the secret exits". But if the levels are new (and judging by the Nintendo Direct, they look radically different), wouldn't that mean new exits to be found within the levels?

@rjejr: "If this whole game is meant to be a speed run, then count us out."
Speak for yourself, man! Some people like to feel the rush as they race against the clock! I know I do, anyway.

Personally, I can't wait to get this DLC. Especially with new level design and Luigi's old-school traits. What I'm wondering though, is what's his objective? Is he rescuing Peach from Bowser too? Or is Daisy going to be the damsel for Dry Bowser to capture?

Emaan

Emaan said:

Since this will likely be my only Wii U thing to play before it hits the late summer, I'm really looking forward to this :3

MadJay1664

MadJay1664 said:

This is gonna be proper good I can't wait! What I really wanna see though is another game as good as Super Mario 64.

Kirbic

Kirbic said:

While I'm not keen on speeding through a level with 100 seconds to do so, the fact that Luigi has his unique traits and the sheer amount of levels makes this DLC a must-have for me! :D

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

It looks good... but I hope it's reasonably priced. Anything over $15.00 is going to be pushing it a bit...

LordessMeep

LordessMeep said:

The 'New Super Luigi (not bros) U' title is a nice touch. I was expecting a reskin with this DLC but different control style sounds good. 100 second limit seems pretty challenging, especially with the way Luigi controls. The only limiter would be the pricing.. under $15 maybe?

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

@andreoni79 Has Nintendo ever re-released a game that is a better version then the first version (not counting greatest hits unless they added stuff too that version).on the same system?

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

As anyone who remembers my posts will know, I sold my NSMBU so I had the money to buy Rayman. Unfortunately that was also the same day they decided to announce the delay! Well I think I'll rebuy NSMBU now and skip Rayman for a few years.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Hey if it'll give me another reason to pop in my copy of New Super Mario Bros. U that I've rarely played since completing the game to its fullest, count me in! I like the idea of a reduced time limit and redesigned levels. Maybe not all-new, but still a new way to replay the game, and I like that!

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I may get this, if I get a WU, & NSMBU. Looks like it might be a fair amount of dlc, provided the price is also fairly matched to the amount of content, or rather the change in on-disc content, for those levels.

valcoholic

valcoholic said:

I hate time limits and setting the difficulty by less time.... I think I'll hate that too. Still I may get this just because it's fun. Let's wait and see.