Disney's Planes Jetting Onto All Nintendo Platforms This Year

Posted by Damien McFerran

Wii U, Wii, 3DS and DS editions coming in August

Disney Interactive Studios has revealed that Disney's Planes — which is based on the forthcoming CGI film — will be hitting all Nintendo platforms later in 2013.

Wii U, Wii, 3DS and DS versions are in development, with August 6th being the take-off date in North America — just a few days before the film’s August 9th theatrical debut.

Here's a snippet from the press release:

From above the world of “Cars,” “Disney’s Planes” video game takes players on a high-flying, action-packed, fun-filled adventure with Dusty, a big-hearted, speed-loving crop duster who is voiced by actor and comedian Dane Cook. Players will take to the skies with Dusty and other characters, including Ishani, voiced by actress Priyanka Chopra; Echo, voiced by actor Anthony Edwards; and Bravo, voiced by actor Val Kilmer, as they embark on global missions, air races and grand adventures around the world.

In “Disney’s Planes” video game, players travel through breathtaking environments and play as one of 10 cast of characters on console and one of 6 cast of characters on handheld in either single-player, on all platforms or race against one another in two-player drop-in and drop-out gameplay on console. Players will roll, turn and loop their way through mission-based objectives in exciting modes of play including a narrative based Story mode and a score-based mini-game that challenges the player’s precision flying skills called Balloon Pop. The exploratory Free Flight mode and racing based Air Rallies mode are exclusive to the consoles and the objective achieving Challenge mode is only offered via the handheld platforms.

Do you have high hopes for this video game adaptation? Post a comment to let us know.

Related Games

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Probably will be a good movie, but game adaptations of this sort usually end up being mediocre or just plane bad. ;)

lividd3ad

lividd3ad said:

@Five-seveN I don't even see it being a good movie at this rate; Cars 2 was pretty awful and even the companies behind it don't seem to have much faith - Pixar's got nothing to do with it and it was originally going to be direct-to-DVD.

Wildvine53

Wildvine53 said:

Weird, I thought DIsney was moving away from these individual releases and bringing them into Disney Infinity.

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

@lividd3ad: How was Cars 2 awful? It had Michael Kane in (aka Batman's servant :P) and explosions, and weapons (it had a James Bond like theme). What more do you want? Don't get me wrong, there are better Pixar films like Monsters Inc, but Cars 2 wasn't terrible.

Now Planes, well it sounds like it's going to be PLAIN boring! XD Seriously know, it could be good. Who knows?

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@LuigiMan200 Yes I originally said "Sort of like that pun I did there" but then removed that part.

I definitely didn't like the first cars, but I didn't see the second. After doing two of those, however, doing one about planes doesn't seem very original to me. It might be good though. I try not to condemn this sort of thing before I see it.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

@lividd3ad Cars 2 was great. It wasn't the best of Pixar's output, but it was great that they tried something different than what they normally do.

lividd3ad

lividd3ad said:

@RadioShadow @Jukilum Okay, maybe I'd say "awful" by Pixar standards. It fell very short of the usual high quality. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it but perhaps "awful" was slightly too harsh a word.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I have to agree that Cars 2 just wasnt as good as Cars, of course I didnt like Brave either. The last good Pixar movie IMO was Up.

As far as game goes the Cars games were decent games so I might check this one out even if I just rent it.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

@lividd3ad Actually, when a movie starts out as a direct-to-DVD release and is changed to a theatrical release, that generally means that there is a ton of faith in the movie. The same thing happened with Toy Story 2.

Regarding your most recent statement: fair enough. I enjoyed it though. More than Brave which, while still being a very good movie, had a lot of humor that felt more like an older Dreamworks movie.

e6666

e6666 said:

I don't think it's shovelware. It's childish etc but this is actually a great sign for the whole thing.. you want companies to think "this is expensive to make... let's sell it on where most parents and children will go shopping" - it's brilliant for Nintendo - it's like the best Wii days like that - you also get SMG and Skyward and Xenoblade etc. It can all live together.

K1LLEGAL

K1LLEGAL said:

It is quite funny though to see "TITLE X is skipping the Wii U, TITLE Y is skipping the Wii U" followed by "Disney's Planes Jetting Onto All Nintendo Platforms This Year". Some things never change.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@K1LLEGAL Mainly because most of the people that want Pixar movie based games are probably smaller children who have a Nintendo console. I doubt this title would make much headway on the PS3 or Xbox 360.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I'm usually up on these things but I have never even heard of this movie until now. And it's out in August you say? I'm guessing it isn't going to be that good and it is going to be advertised as such, like a lame kids movie that no adult will go see w/o a child. I mean, I knew about the Monsters Inc sequel for years, and "Finding Dory" is coming out, maybe 2015, but this? I haven't even seen a single toy for it nor has it been in a McDonalds Happy Meal.

The game could be good though, I've been liking kid games lately - Skylanders, Toy Story 2, Disney Universe - playing w/ my kids of course.

Bluezealand

Bluezealand said:

@CapnPancakes
Planes is not a Pixar movie. They have nothing to do with it. It is a Disney Toon Studios production and is therefor made by the same guys responsible for the Disney DTV sequels and the Tinker Bell series.

Bluezealand

Bluezealand said:

@rjejr
Again- not a Pixar movie. Also- it was announced in the middle of 2010 (!), so I don't know how you could miss that.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Bluezealand Huh, I thought this was Pixar. Wasn't Cars?

Edit: Actually, this is going to be a trilogy of movies. They're already working on a second oddly enough.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Bluezealand I see. I've sort of lost interest in these kinds of movies though. I might like to see Monsters 2, but not so much this or Finding Dory.

lividd3ad

lividd3ad said:

@Jukilum Yeah, looking at it, they do seem to be placing a lot more faith in it than I thought, what with a trilogy planned for it.

I haven't seen Brave, though, so I can't really comment on that.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Bluezealand: They are basically the same thing since John Lasseter is the cco of both Pixar and Disney Toon Studios. Why the different names and just not merge them in one I have no idea.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

@Tasuki No, they are not the same thing. One of the provisions in the Disney Pixar merger was that Pixar got to stay their own studio seperate from the rest of Disney. And John Lasseter is CCO of pretty much all of Disney, not just the animation divisions.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Bluezealand - Thanks for the info. The fact that it's DisneyToon and not Pixar and started out as a DVD is probably why I missed it.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I have Cars 2 - 3DS & really enjoy it. So what if it's made by disney or pixar? As long as the game is good. :) You guy's who commented above can write off the movie tie in video games as shovelware if you want but some of us actually enjoy the the movie tie in games. :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

TheXboxHero

TheXboxHero said:

@Nintenzo I 1005% agree. The Wii U does NOT need that stupid shovelware, they need GOOD GAMES FROM GOOD DEVELOPERS.

Edit: I saw screenshots for the game and the Wii U edition looks absolutely beautiful. It's kinda like a Pilotwings Resort! I'm actually surprised!

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I don't like the movie already, but the game... well, I'll admit, it could be interesting. Make it a family-appropriate flying affair that's somewhat grounded in what flying games are like, and I just might check it out.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

If the movie and game is about battling Jay Jay the Jet Plane, then maybe I would consider getting this, (Glad the designs of the planes aren't like...........well).
Untitled

Just kidding...............so, I wonder what the movies gonna be like.

Henmii

Henmii said:

So it's true: After Cars we get Planes! And yet another Pixar sequel has been anounced: Finding Dory! All Pixar is doing nowadays is sequels AND cheap stuff like planes! I know it for quite some time: Pixar is dead!!

Now waiting for a new, innovative CG movie studio!

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Cars 2 wasnt bad, just way bellow the pixar standard, but that was because Disney was pushing them to do it. This ia yet another Disney push to sell tous, but it has nothing to do with Pixar anyway.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

@Henmii Yes I'm sure that Pixar's upcoming projects including "The Good Dinosaur," a movie that takes place on an Earth where dinosaurs never went extinct, "The Inside Out," a movie about what happens inside a young girl's brain, and The Untitled Pixar Movie about Dia De Los Muertos" will be completely uninnovative and derivative. /sarcasm

And Pixar isn't responsible for Planes.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

I liked Cars 2 more than the first one, I suppose because I felt the story of the first one was too cliched.
Pre Pixar, Disney have done a bunch of great movies, and after they started their association with Pixar and also after buying them out, Disney's movies started improving again (Lilo & Stitch onwards). With lasseter in charge as well, I'm sure it will be at least half decent. I've never heard of Dane Cook, but apparently Jon Cryer was going to do it but had to drop out.
I'll take the kids to go see it, but probably won't buy the game unless reviews suggest my kids, my wife or I will love it as much as we all love Lego City Undercover.

Henmii

Henmii said:

@Jukilum,

Are you pulling my leg, or are those really upcoming Pixar movies?! Well, they are still many years of (I guess). They could potentially be great. But Brave wasn't that great (fun, but not great), so we'll see! I won't hold my breath though!