Criterion Working On "Amazing" Unannounced Racer For 2013

Posted by Damien McFerran

Could Burnout be getting a revival?

It would appear that UK studio Criterion — famous for the Burnout series and the recent Wii U classic Need For Speed: Most Wanted U — is hard at work on its next magnum opus.

Some LinkedIn snooping has revealed that the company is due to release another racer this year. Could it be Burnout? Or possibly another entry in the Need For Speed series? Or maybe an entirely new IP?

To fan the flames, Criterion's creative director Alex Ward has tweeted:

With no name and certainly no confirmation of which platforms it might come to, this mystery title is by no means a certainty for the Wii U, but seeing as Criterion has had nothing but good things to say about Nintendo's console, we'd like to think it's in with a shot.

Criterion has also stated that future Need For Speed titles will hit the Wii U at the same time as other systems — as long as they've been developed by the UK studio. Hopefully that counts for all future Criterion racers, too.

What are you hoping to see? Post a comment to tell us.

[via videogamer.com]

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

The actual launch period for a console is 12 months. The sales for wii u in its first quarter are low, but I think it will build momentum slowly all the way to this Christmas. We've seen vastly improved sales just off the back of monster hunter, a slow slew of highly quality leading into summer and some strong announcements at E3 will see some massive games ready for the back end of this year. XBox sold very very VERY little in its first twelve months then look at the numbers that went on to achieve. Amateurish sites like Wii U Daily panicking every time a game isn't coming to wii u does nothing but cast a ridiculous shadow based on nonsense on the whole thing. You don't see playstation sites reporting every game not coming to their console, "oh no!! No zombiU on playstation, playstation must be failing!!!???? Right?"
If this criterion game comes to wii u then great and it's evidence the install base is getting stronger and that need for speed had good sales figures. If it doesn't it jut isn't the right time yet. Evidence seems to show though that Most Wanted U is a high quality game that sold well and was made by a company that like working with wii u and have a drive to continue doing so. But only time will tell. Hopefully there'll be a Burnout U and it will as, if not more, awesome than need for speed.

Zyph

Zyph said:

Unless EA barged-in again and won't let the title come to Wii U

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm going to guess its a new Burnout game. It has been 2 years since the last one, Burnout Crash & 5 years since the last "proper" Burnout game, Burnout Paradise (though Most Wanted U definitely feels like Burnout Paradise 2).

Heck I don't know if I'd even buy another racing game this year unless its released near Christmas. I'm totally covered for racing games just between Sonic Racing Transformed & Need for Speed: Most Wanted U. It'd feel weird to buy another Need for Speed so soon after Most Wanted U but that's just me.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

'Wii U classic Need For Speed: Most Wanted U'.

That's the most ridiculous and premature hyperbole I've heard in quite a while. I expect better of NL.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

I sure hope its Burnout, I played Burnout 3 like a mad man on the Xbox, I was ranked in the top 15 on the Xbox live leader boards. One of the best racing / car crashing games ever.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Don't Need for Speed games usually release in November? If so it's probably that. I'm certainly excited for another Criterion game, I loved NFS:MWU! But my Wii U is being overrun by racing games, with Sonic Racing, Most Wanted, a new racer and Mario Kart all games I'll (hopefully) have by the end of the year.

Late

Late said:

My brother has an original XBOX, Burnout 3: Takedown and Burnout Revenge. Both are really great games and I'd love to see Burnout on Wii U.

ANGRYBALDMAN666

ANGRYBALDMAN666 said:

May be this could mean a Burnout for the 3DS it would work with the 3D I was wishing for a SplitSecond for the 3DS but after Disney closed BlackRock Studios this could be our only hope for a good new racing game

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

News Sites and Gamers alike have headlined that EA no longer supporting WiiU.
But did anyone actually read the full interview with Moore?
What he actually said is 'We Currently have no plans for WiiU'
Notice he said 'Currently' fact is EA would be foolish to write of WiiU this early into its lifespan, they still support the much,much worse selling Vita.
Yeah, at the Moment the currently announced games are not comming to WiiU, but titles other un-announced titles might.
EA have partnered with MS so are putting a lot of effort there and are trying to get a foothold on Ps4, obviously they will still support ps3/360 due to its userbase, and because of the smaller userbase WiiU development has been put on hold.

Its worth remembering EA stopped supporting the Original Xbox, this was due to EA wanting to charge for online service through thier servers. Microsoft refused so EA spat out their dummy... simular to how they have with Nintendo telling them no to running Nintendo Neywork via Origin.
Of cousrse, a year or so later EA changed their mind and started publishing on the Xbox again.
Same thing will happen on WiiU, probably sooner than Later EA will be announcing WiiU games, So there is a possibility of Criterions next racer turning up on WiiU.

twistedbee

twistedbee said:

I loved Burnout Paradise, so naturally I'll cross my finger for Burnout Paradise 2... Or some analog in its place. Some with alot of wrecks, explosions and jumps.

Oh yeah, Most Wanted U is rad.

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

@Damo

You called a game thats been out for maybe three weeks and has likely sold less than 50,000 copies a "classic".

He was merely pointing out how that was a cringe-worthy statement.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

@AbeVigoda well said man, classics have to prove themselves over time.....this has not. It's just the first half decent racing game on the Wii u....if this is classic material we should be worried!!

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@Damo
As Abevigoda explained.

Nothing can or should be considered a classic within weeks of its release. I haven't played the game so I can't say whether or not I like it but that's irrelevant.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I think it will be Need for Speed considering they have been releasing yearly for a bit now.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'd like to see them do another FPS. Black was a great game, but they released it the wrong time. The end of a generation is not the time for new IPs, they should have pushed it onto 360 and PS3 instead. I actually hoped they'd end up alternating between Black and Burnout, to avoid the inevitable series fatigue that would come of yearly Burnout iterations, but it wasn't to be.

I'm almost certain it's not the next Need for Speed though. EA like to change up the teams for that. Maybe they've found someone to do another Shift game.

NinGamer85

NinGamer85 said:

@ULTRA-64 If you haven't played it this game is awesome. Too new to be called classic but easily the best looking on the console and extremely fun to play. Easily the best racing experience on a console in a while and considering the last few nfs games...this one stands out and will be a classic for the console.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@cornishlee The game has been out on other formats since last year. It was great on those, and the Wii U has the definitive version.

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

@Damo

Haha I was taking the piss, mate. Wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

I'm actually surprised you didn't consider that post 'legendary' or 'one for the history books'.

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

Anyways, I must go now. Need to get back to playing the game changing Zombi-U, then the ground breaking Tank! Tank! Tank!

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@Damo
You're subtly changing the emphasis on what you wrote there but a year is still too soon. I recognise that video games remain a young medium and we can't use the 'fifty year rule' common when discussing books or even the 'thirty year rule' currently favoured by film and music critics but a year is no time at all.

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

Seems like more and more articles are based on 'a neighbor of an un-named video game developer exec over heard said guy talking in his sleep about (insert game name)...discuss'.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

@ANGRYBALDMAN666 Oh man I didn't think about a Burnout game on the 3DS, If done well imagine the explosion and metal debris popping out of the 3D screen OMG! also let's hope the game is more in line with Burnout 3 Takedown or Burnout Revenge :D

The Burnout games on the PSP were good also, so the Burnout series should do great on the Nintendo 3DS.

ANGRYBALDMAN666

ANGRYBALDMAN666 said:

@Meaty-cheeky Yes I played the PSP Burnout loved it but the DS one well we will not talk about that one they and BlackRock did a SplitSecond on the PSP which work very well. I just look at the games that are missing off the 3DS and it makes me sad why Nintendo do not push more I do not know.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I'd love to see a new Burnout game! I'm not a fan of racing games in general but there's just something about smashing non-descript cars into barriers and walls etc. I'd def pick up a new Burnout game for the WiiU! Imagine the use of missiles or side-spikes etc, all at the touch of a gamepad, MUAHAHAHAAA!

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

Hopefully Wii U gets it and Criterion handles it! Although I feel the current game Most Wanted U is really Burnout in disguise, I will always welcome Criterion racers in any shape or form.