Criterion Has No Immediate Plans For More Need For Speed

Posted by Lee Meyer

Burnt out?

Criterion Games' Creative Director Alex Ward has taken to Twitter to debunk recent rumors about a Need For Speed reboot. In a series of tweets, Ward explained that Criterion wanted to take a break from the Need For Speed series, and racing games in general.

Ward did, however, leave the door open for future developments:

Need For Speed: Most Wanted debuted to critical acclaim on the Wii U in March. While the series has been represented on Nintendo consoles before, Criterion gave the Wii U port special treatment, including replacing the 360/PS3 assets with higher-resolution PC textures and incorporating the DLC from other platforms playable from the start.

Are you disappointed that Criterion won't be working on another Need For Speed game in the immediate future? Let us know in the comments section.

[via allgamesbeta.com, gonintendo.com]

ChrisT99

ChrisT99 said:

This should hopefully give me a chance to buy Most Wanted in 6 months or so when I have the money to spend.

I had a dream once that I was at GameStop and they had the game used for $0.07... If only it hadn't been a dream that'd be a sweet deal, and also the first time seeing a big game for less than a dollar.

TheXboxHero

TheXboxHero said:

Not possible. Ward was still planning on bring NFS to the Wii U still. Maybe this is only a couple year break or something.

tovare

tovare said:

No problem, NFS Most Wanted is excellent and with more than enough challenges.

Looking forward to a new racer on the "Nintendo Wii 2 U" in 6 years :-)

JSuede

JSuede said:

I wonder if EA has anything to do with this. Criterion said they planned to release every future NFS game at the same time on Wii U, and now we hear that they aren't planning to make any NFS games.

This would allow EA to continue their blackout of Wii U software, while still keeping Criterion true to their word. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to be perfectly honest. Hopefully they push to release whatever game they will be working on for the Wii U as well.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

@JSuede Really? Man, people need to lay off the conspiracy theories. EA don't hate the Wii U, they just know nothing on it is going to sell well enough to make a profit until at least the end of the year.

In response to the news item about his tweet the other day, I said I really didn't think they'd be doing another NFS this year. I'm sure someone might, but EA likes to spread the series around different devs so you get different games like Shift. I'm sure Criterion wouldn't want to be stuck doing NFS every year either.

So I'm really hoping it's an FPS. Not Black 2, it has so little brand awareness there's almost no point it using the name. Just go with something new.

nik1470

nik1470 said:

Not NFS, not burnout and not Black this has been confirmed. I'm struggling to think of a bad game this studio has made and they are supportive of the WiiU so nothing but good news here.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Hmmmm... A new IP from Criterion then? Not a racing game? Hmmmm... I'll look forward to more from them in the future then.

JSuede

JSuede said:

@Peach64 June 30th last year, EA said that "[The Wii U] is the first next-generation platform that is going to be out to market." said that they were excited to develop for it and claimed there was an "unprecedented partnership" at E3 2011.

Why would they then cannibalize the sales of ME3 with the Trilogy and give no DLC support to the Wii U version? Release a gimped Madden and FIFA? Claim less than a year later that the "Next generation is yet to come" and they are "focusing their efforts elsewhere"? Not bringing NHL14, probably not FIFA 14, Battlefield 4, Crysis 3 (it was ready to be released)....for no logical reason?

They plan to bring Battlefield 4 to consoles that don't have a single unit sold and will have less than the Wii U when you combine them at launch. How is that less of a risk financially than the Wii U?

Criterion has full control of NFS by the way.