Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse Looks Set For Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Sources point to a release of the 1990 original

When Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion was described as a sequel to SEGA Mega Drive / Genesis classic Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, there were plenty of retro gamers that got rather excited; in the opinion of various critics the 3DS title failed to live up to that billing. Castle of Illusion is an iconic 16-bit platformer with loyal fans, and yet it never arrived on the Wii Virtual Console to satisfy a new audience.

Yet now, it seems, it looks like it may be on the cards for Wii U. In late February it received a classification in Brazil for a release on Wii U, Xbox 360, PS3 and PS Vita, with the production date of 1990 suggesting a port. It's now being reported on our sister site purexbox.com (via VG Leaks) that the digital cover art for the Xbox 360 version has been leaked. Naturally these things can be mocked up, but at the very least it acts as possible reinforcement of the previously identified Brazilian classification.

SEGA hasn't made any statements about this potential release, and we can only speculate on whether it'd be on the Virtual Console or whether it would be a polished "HD" re-release. Either way, we'd certainly fancy playing this one again; it's not too fanciful, as we do have DuckTales Remastered on the way.

Do any of you remember playing this back in the day, and would you be excited to own it on Wii U? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

[via purexbox.com, vgleaks.com]

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

hm, not that its exactly the same thing, but the recent mickey game for 3DS was very disappointing compared to the positive previews that abounded before it's release so i'm not sure what to think about this game.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Didn't Disney say they weren't interested in bringing the original retro versions of their games to systems and would rather have them remastered?

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

Well, that's some awesome news! What will 2013 come up with next!?

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

I'm all for seeing Castle Of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse on the Wii U VC , but whatever happened to the GAME GEAR version for the 3DS VC ? It would be a bit better if we got both on their respective platforms when the time comes for this digital copy of the game to show up on the Wii U VC.

paburrows

paburrows said:

Thats awesome! I got both Epic Mickey games last Christmas and like them better then most of the games I got then, I really don't get the dislike. Kind of sad about there not being a 3rd one since the ending set up somethings with the Petes.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

I kind of prefer the 8-bit version, though. Not that I'd complain about getting a retro Disney game released.

Ras

Ras said:

I might have rented this, but I'm more familiar with Quackshot. I would buy VC releases of these games, though the multisystem thing rules out VC. I guess it would come down to price.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Ah, Mickey Mouse's first MegaDrive/Genesis game, Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse is a very fun game, and one of my top favorite Disney games starring Disney's mouse (alongside The Great Circus Mystery starring Mickey & Minnie and Mickey & Donald: Magical Adventure 3) :) I like that new cover

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Castle of Illusion Remastered: Starring Mickey Mouse?

I would definitely be all for it considering I never got to play the original and I've heard nothing but praise for it. The question is who is making it?

Swithom

Swithom said:

if this is true I hope it does well..
Personally the sequel World of Illusion was one of my favorite games on the Mega Drive, it was one of the few me and my brother played through again and again and again together.

But both pale in comparison to Quackshot :)

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Interesting... I've been hearing lots of stuff about Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse after that Power of Illusion fiasco. (awesome game but it was WAY too short). Now that this original game could get a repackaging on all consoles, Is it going to be an HD buffer or an original? Will the WiiU version be a Virtual console download or eshop download?

craigbigedd

craigbigedd said:

This was superb when launched on the sega mega drive bought it on Japanese import for Christmas loved it:)

accc

accc said:

If it comes to the Wii U virtual console then I hope they put it on the Wii VC as well, since who knows if or when I'll ever get a Wii U. Not to mention that classic 2D games look and play a million times better on CRT SDTVs (like the one I have my Wii hooked up to) than they do on LCD HDTVs (which are pretty much required for using a Wii U).

millarrp

millarrp said:

this is the type of stuff I imagined on the vitrual console when it was first announced on the Wii, but I wouldn't complain if it was an HD remake either. If this is true I'm glad that Disney has finally started opening up its catalog of games....

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Purexbox? Did not know you guys had an Xbox site. I need to check it out. Anyways, it would be nice to play this Mickey game again.

Henmii

Henmii said:

If it's the original I might download it! If it's a remake I might still download it depending on how it looks! The Ducktales remake looks great!

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

@accc Well ideally Nintendo wants to give you reasons to purchase a Wii U instead of sticking with a Wii forever. So I don't expect them to plan on supporting the Wii much longer. That's sort of how the industry works.

macker33

macker33 said:

I remember when this was considered a triple A title, Will definately play it again.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I enjoyed Power of Illusion not sure why it got the low ratings it did but whatever.

As for this piece of news that is interesting and if it does come out than I would pick it up since I dont have it on Genesis.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Not sure if this really counts as "News" since it's still up in the air...

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I have heard from quite a few people that this game is pretty good. I would certainly like to play it on Wii U if these rumors turn out to be true.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

I would rather see Quackshots. I always thought that game was better than Castle of Illusion. Plus, I'm just not a fan of Mickey Mouse....

antonvaltaz

antonvaltaz said:

I only ever played the Master System version of this, which was a completely different game, despite having the same name (I only discovered in the last couple of years that this was even released on the Mega Drive!).

If it's as good as that was, then this is very good news! :-)

AhabSpampurse

AhabSpampurse said:

Played the megadrive game and also had the master system version. Loved this game, the music was awesome.

nik1470

nik1470 said:

Yes, yes, yes! Love this! still own the cart but would buy it for the save points.

cyberman67

cyberman67 said:

I ownd this game for my Mega Drive. It is a nice jump and run, with charming graphics, not to easy, not to hard. Next to "Aladdin", "Quackshot" and "World of Illusion" fondly remembered for its quality and replay-value. A lot of licensed Disney games during the 8/16-bit era were really well crafted, compared to a lot of crap we get today.
I am looking forward to a re-release on virtual console and as a remake. As for "Ducktales", which i could never play. I think, one is never to old for a funny, entertaining jump'n'run 😄

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

I spent a long time thinking about this at the time. I remember reviews were great but I was put off by the Mickey Mouse IP. Now, though, I'd snap it up.

Frapp

Frapp said:

The game I bought a MegaDrive for. If it's given an uplift, I hope the original graphics would still be available as an option, because I don't think they can be improved. 60Hz is all I'd want to see. Marvellous game with a glorious soundtrack.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I called it as soon as Power Of Illusion came out but to see it become a reality will be awesome! Also to get the sequel, World Of Illusion! EEP! Can't wait :) I feel like a kid again...

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

This was a wonderful game back in the day with great graphics and sound, although it was a rather short lived experience. i would gladly d/l a copy if it came out on one of the VC services.
However, Sega have have gone very quiet in their support of the 3DS VC (outside of Japan) so i'm not getting my hopes up.
I wasn't very keen on the 3DS update, I played the demo and thought the platfroming was quite good, but the drawing mechanic and lengthy cut-scenes really killed the pacing of the game.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

never played this. and i personally loved the power of illusions game. no problem with the drawing mechanic since that's part of an epic mickey game. going to have to find my game case so I can play some Power Of Illusions.

shake_zula

shake_zula said:

Literally screamed when I read this. If the Wii U version is scrapped for any reason I will sell the console, no joke

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

A true Megadrive classic that still sits near the top of my stack of 16-bit games, and yes, Quackshot is also excellent, so be good to see that one too... I don’t have a Wii U, so I'm hoping for a PSN version.

MetalKingShield

MetalKingShield said:

The only problem with Power of Illusion was having to do so much painting and thinning on the touch screen. Well, I say "only" - it stopped me from buying the game, but I'd give Castle of Illusion another whirl.

element187

element187 said:

I know the Wii U needs games, but this one? ehh Monster Hunter 3 will be fine until the next round of Nintendo first party titles arrive.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I'll have to keep an eye on this. Never played this, but I've played some other classic Disney 2D platformers (like Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow and Toy Story), and I've thoroughly enjoyed them.