Buddy & Me Wii U eShop Version Added As Kickstarter Stretch Goal

Posted by Damien McFerran

Needs to hit $55,000 funding target

If you cast your mind back a couple of weeks, you'll recall that we were the first site to break the news about Buddy & Me, a title from Sunbreak Games — a studio founded by former Metroid Prime developer Jason Behr.

Behr revealed at the time that a Wii U eShop edition of the game was a possibility, but wasn't officially on the cards. However, he has since gotten in touch to inform us that as a result of the intense amount of interest he and his company have received in the game, they've added a Wii U eShop version as a stretch goal.

$55,000 is the target for that particular reward — the funding currently stands at $14,150 with a week remaining. The base goal is $40,000, so there's clearly a long way to go at this stage.

This is what Jason had to say on the official Kickstarter page for the project:

A wise man once said, “don’t ever forget where you came from.” For the past few weeks, I’ve received a flood of questions and comments from journalists and Nintendo fans from the Metroid Prime days, asking whether or not we would consider a Nintendo version. The game’s characters and play would be a great fit in the Nintendo world, and the touch-screen gameplay would lend itself well to the Wii U’s unique controller. But most importantly, I’ve felt really touched at how enthusiastic and appreciative these loyal fans have been to reach out, to talk about how much those games meant to them, and remind me of some of the most inspiring and influential times of my career. Guys and gals, this one’s for you: We’ve added Wii U eShop support as an official Stretch Goal, at the $55,000 funding mark!

The challenging part is that our engine doesn't run directly on Wii U. It will take some time (estimated at least a month) to port the game over, plus costs for development kits, minor art adjustments, new assets, and more. It wouldn't be released until some time after the initial iOS and Android versions. But with your support, we can do it!

Will this news convince you to pledge your support? Even a small amount could be enough to achieve the stretch goal, if enough people support this venture. Let us know if you're one of those people by posting a comment.

[via kickstarter.com]

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

It reminds me of A Boy and His Blob. A young boy goes on a great adventure about exploration with his best friend

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

love what these guys have going on. Its too bad they didnt tap nintendo fans with that goal when they first talked to NL as precious time was lost. they got a long way to go but I will now consider backing for the Wii U instalment sake.

AceTrainerBean

AceTrainerBean said:

I would get it for the wii u! I really like these guys they seem to really care about what there doing and the game has a very charming look to it I hope it is a success

Morph

Morph said:

The cynic in me says they knew they wouldnt reach the goal in time so they add wii u in at the end to get the pledges up. Problem is all those nintendo fans could pledge and it miss the wii u goal, yet they still have enough for the other platforms

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

It's a nice idea, but the game looks unoriginal and the style & theme is something I've seen a million times before.

KAHN

KAHN said:

it doesn't look like it'll reach the kickstarter goal :/ which is sad, because i got really interested.

thesnowdog

thesnowdog said:

Nowt wrong with mobile games on the Wii U for one important reason - proper buttons and analog sticks. Wii U SKUs will always be superior.

Zendisney

Zendisney said:

So excited about this game. It reminds me of all the wonderful things that you dream about; not only as a child... This game is dreamy to me because I am a huge anime/manga fan. I love the creators story in the video. I will be a beta tester if you want, I am a 46 year old gamer with a lot of creativity, energy, and enthusiasm!

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

Reminds me of the Rayman series... using Nature as the muse, while giving an ethereal identity to the characters...

I like the theme, but I'm not fond of on-rails games. (With a few exceptions, like Star Fox.)

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

The at style looks nice, but I've always found that the endless runner genre only holds my attention for a few hours before becoming a snore-fest.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

I like the idea, but this looks like another forgettable flash platformer that has no real identity as far as gameplay is concerned. Super Mario, Mega Man, Castlevania, Contra, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Starfy, Mega Man Zero, Klonoa ect ect, all have their own original play style that completely stands out from one another.But you rarely see this in modern platformers. Many borrow heavily from older franchises and make tiny little tweaks of their own.

Here we are 28 years later after the launch of the NES and the genre is still going strong(minus the N64 & GCN era) You can only do so much...it takes true talent and creativity to break the mold and deliver an experience that plays like no other. I'm now on my 12th console, i and just can't settle for most fo these unoriginal 2D platformers that don't do anything to redisign or change the face of the genre itself.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Ugh, less than a week to go and Buddy and Me haven't hit the halfway point yet. Though the only thing I'm worried about to be honest is Bloom: Memories.