2D Metroidvania Title Chasm "A Good Fit" For Nintendo Consoles, Says Developer

Posted by Damien McFerran

Could we see this pixel-heavy adventure on the 3DS or Wii U?

Kickstarter is rapidly becoming the go-to place when it comes to genuinely exciting game development; we've already seen the success story that is Shovel Knight, and there are other interesting examples — such as Buddy & Me and Delver's Drop — waiting in the wings.

You can now add Discord Games' Chasm to that list, too. This pixel-rich 2D "Metroidvania" style adventure is currently in development for PC, Mac and Linux, but there's hope that it could come to other platforms, too.

We got in touch with Producer James Petruzzi, and he was cautiously optimistic about the chances of this gorgeous-looking title hitting either the Wii U or 3DS eShops:

We've definitely been considering Nintendo platforms — they seem like a good home for Chasm. The difficulty more lies in getting the game ported, we'd have to hire someone that knows the platforms obviously. We're still very early in development, so estimating those costs right now is near impossible.

Chasm's target is a lofty $150,000, but it has already raised a third of that total and still has 26 days remaining, so things are looking good. Hopefully it will achieve its goal and that will enable Discord Games to produce other ports. Can you imagine playing this on your 3DS or Wii U?

[via kickstarter.com]

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

Well it's great that all these devs are excited about bringing their games to WiiU or 3DS, but are any of them actually going to do it?

MAB

MAB said:

Looks like a cool Amiga type platformer Bitmap Bros style... Sweet!

NintendoPro64

NintendoPro64 said:

Good fit for Nintendo consoles? Not surprising really, considering how Nintendo practically SAVED the platformer last gen!

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

It looks very nice. If all these games reach WiiU it is going to be a retro console xD. Let's hope these aren't the only ones in it though.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

I recognise the art from a fellow Pixel Joint'er.
You can check out some of the other art he does here. I think we can rest assured the game's at least going to look great. :P

Azikira

Azikira said:

Well, it LOOKS interesting enough. I think my Kickstarter funds have been used up for the month, though.

skjia

skjia said:

@NintendoPro64
Yeah seriously. Before NSMB 2D platformers were all but extinct. Now they're everywhere. I'm almost tired of them. Almost. lol.
Love the art work in this game. Hope to see it come to Wii U or 3DS.

Windy

Windy said:

This game looks phenominal if it was to get a 3dizing for 3DS I would definately buy. Im loving the 2d platformers which get the 3dizing. This game seriously just looks so much better than cave story. I hope it makes it. GO DISCORD! GO DISCORD! GO DISCORD!

MetalKingShield

MetalKingShield said:

It actually looks like one of the nicest 2D games I've seen, thanks to the quality of the sprites. I would definitely buy this for the 3DS.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Dunno about that "procedural generation" thing for the dungeons. The thing that makes Metroid and Metroidvania so good is the well-made levels! Randomize that and you've blown the whole thing.

Neram

Neram said:

The game looks pretty good, actually. I don't like the randomly generated dungeon thing though.

NintendoPro64

NintendoPro64 said:

@skjia
Yeah. Hey Nintendo! After you make the next 3D Mario, how about making 3D Kirby, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi games as well as buying back Banjo Kazooie? I think 3D platformers have been screaming for a saving long enough. :P

NintendoPro64

NintendoPro64 said:

@WhiteTrashGuy
Actually, judging by the look of it, it seems more like a 2.5D platformer like Kirby 64 :(. But that's probably for the better as a new 3D Mario is on the way and we don't need them competing with each other.

Oh, and thanks for welcoming me! :)

ueI

ueI said:

As soon as I found out about this game yesterday, I knew it would only be a matter of time before it appeared on this site.

TheRegginator

TheRegginator said:

It's nice to see games like this and Shovel Knight being made. I was worried that the genre was becoming less popular.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Yet another sidescroller and yet again download-only. Because you know: You are a nutter if you want to buy a sidescroller at retail, for 50 bucks! Nooooo, you only do that for shooters and other violence fests (sarcasm, sarcasm)!!

But to be honest, this one looks also awesome!