Yacht Club Games Is Hoping To Bring Shovel Knight To The Wii U And 3DS

Posted by Damien McFerran

"May remind you of Mega Man, Castlevania, or Dark Souls!"

Yacht Club Games — the new studio formed by ex-WayForward staff members — has revealed its first project via a Kickstarter campaign.

Shovel Knight is a 2D platforming epic which calls to mind the 8-bit NES era, and is described by the developer as "a hot mashup of new and old that may remind you of Mega Man, Castlevania, or Dark Souls".

Here's some more info, taken from the Kickstarter page:

Shovel Knight is a sweeping classic action adventure game with awesome gameplay, memorable characters, and an 8-bit retro aesthetic. It's a hot mashup of new and old that may remind you of Mega Man, Castlevania, or Dark Souls! You play as the eponymous Shovel Knight, a small knight with a huge quest. Shovel Knight has come to this valley with two goals: to defeat the evil Enchantress and save his lost beloved. He wields a ShovelBlade: a multipurpose weapon whose techniques have now been lost to the ages. Always honest and helpful, Shovel Knight is a shining example of the code of Shovelry: Slash Mercilessly and Dig Tirelessly!

But, between Shovel Knight and his beloved stands a cadre of villainous knights. These terrible foes, known as The Order of No Quarter, have been dispatched to prevent Shovel Knight from reaching the Enchantress, and will pursue their mission at any cost.

If you love games with perfect platforming, beautiful art, infectious music, crazy bosses, and real heart… Shovel Knight is for you!

Yacht Club Games is looking to secure $75,000 to create the game, of which it currently has just over $7,000 with 29 days to go. Although the game is coming to the PC at present, the developers have confirmed that they also hope to bring it to the 3DS and Wii U.

Will you be investing some cash to see that Shovel Knight gets made? Let us know by posting a comment.

[via kickstarter.com]

neumaus

neumaus said:

I'm just going to ask it-- what's up with the sudden surge of retro-trying-to-copy-old-classics-games?
I think it's a bad time for all these kickstarters- I mean, the market is already so saturated.

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

This looks fantastic. Pledged already.

@neumaus There's a lot of retro games coming out, but most are not very good. This looks incredibly polished and well designed.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

This looks incredible. But, with Mighty Switch Force still not on the Australian e-shop, I'm reluctant to contribute to a kickstarter for a game I may never see Downunder.

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

This looks fantastic! Like @THE-WOLF, I'd donate in a heartbeat if I knew for sure it was coming to Wii U... but I probably will anyway. Their Kickstarter says they'll be showing a demo level at PAX East so I'm definitely going to make getting to that demo a priority next weekend.

Cesco

Cesco said:

Much more than Castlevania or Mega man, it reminds me DUCK TALES... look at how the hero is jumping from brick to brick by using his showel as a pogo stick... just like Uncle Scrooge in the old Capcom NES game.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Yeah I'm getting that duck tails feel as well but the character reminds me more of ghosts and goblins. The way he moves and looks!

SqueakyTheBone

SqueakyTheBone said:

Although sometimes I can't help but feel that all these retro inspired indie games are kind of over saturated, I won't deny that I really like the looks of this one. I'll definitely keep an eye on it!

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

If an eShop download were a possible reward I'd have already backed this. But I don't have a PC, and I'm just selfish enough to refuse to back a game I might never be able to play.

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

This looks awesome! Thou with no understanding that it will for sure make it to the 3ds Eshop, no pledge from me sadly

Windy

Windy said:

If I donated to kickstarter and was able to secure the download on the Eshop I would do it. But I really wouldn't want to play that on PC

Kosher-X

Kosher-X said:

How about a Mac version also? Plus, I'm not even sure if they'll get it on Nintendo systems. Who knows?

Mode7

Mode7 said:

If these guys sold one of their yachts they'd already have the money.

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

I would certainly buy this on the 3DS eShop, if it did get made. Looks a lovely little gem.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Looks awesome, feels like a retro arcade style action side-scroller. This feels like a must-buy game for me.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

The Duck Tales influence makes me interested! I'm a WayForward fan so I'd buy this on either Wii U or 3DS.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

1. That is an awesome title.
2. That might be one of the best newer 8-bit songs I've heard. Gets me pumped! Yeah!
3. I love how every other kickstarter describes their game as "a mix of all the games you played as a kid....and Dark Souls!" They know their audience.

eduardopaulo

eduardopaulo said:

I really hope this one comes to the 3DS. It's very interesting indeed, but there are not enough details and I prefer to read reviews first. Having said that, I sense I'll love it if I ever get to play it.

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

Hey that's great news! I really like the looks (and sounds!!) of this and I'd love to play it on the Wii U!

ogo79

ogo79 said:

pretty cool, if they have to choose, skip 3ds and bring it to a home console.

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

...For a moment, I thought the title was "Shovelware Knight"

Looks cool. Hope it comes to the U.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Yes, I'm lovin' ALL the inspirations for this game :)

I agree with above poster, I too though it said "Shovelware Knight" :D

ogo79

ogo79 said:

you know, it kinda looks like little samson and kickmaster for nes as well
UntitledUntitledUntitledUntitled
is this a bad thing?, no it isnt.

Emaan

Emaan said:

This looks so impressive! Hopefully this gets enough support to make it to the 3DS and Wii U.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Little Samson is one of the best NES games, I definitely see a similarity there.

... I really wish Little Samson was on the VC.

slidecage

slidecage said:

why will i not buy this... cause im sure the price will be 9.99 or even 19.99

i would at 5 but not a penny more

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

Not bad not bad at all........looks like is gonna this game is super hard to! Which is great way to many games hold your hand these days.

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

Hmmm..... It's goal is $75,000, it has $17,051 in donations, and there are 29 days 'till the end of the kickstarter. It'll make it.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Just a reminder guys, this game is going to be shown off in Nintendo Force. Which means it probably is coming to the Wii-U and/or 3DS.

skjia

skjia said:

"Prepare to taste justice, Shovel Justice!" Awesome. Awesome to the max.

oh and @tom_q: Totally!

CharbroiledEwok

CharbroiledEwok said:

TBH, I'd rather have it on the Wii U: (1) The Wii U needs to disprove the naysayers and become a comfortable home for indie titles, and (2) The Wii U needs to bulk up its library, anyway...

jack-slick

jack-slick said:

Anything that's like dark souls is going to be a good game I'd buy this if I was given the chance!