Ubisoft: Female Protagonists in Main Assassin's Creed Titles "Wouldn't Be Surprising"

Posted by Andy Green

Could Assassin's Creed V star a leading lady?

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag has been officially revealed - we now know it'll be hitting North American shores on 29th October before setting sail for Europe for a 1st November release. The next instalment in the series will have you take control of Edward Kenway, the father of Haytham Kenway from the previous game.

Of the four mainstream Assassin's Creed titles, all of the protagonists - Altaïr, Ezio, Connor and now Edward - have been male.

In a recent interview with IGN, Black Flag's director Ashraf Ismail revealed Ubisoft have flirted with the idea of using a female lead, but he said Assassin's Creed III and IV had their stories set in stone long ago:

Really early on, we decided to tell the story of the Kenways. So we already had in place the idea to tell Edward, Haytham, and Connor.

As for the future, it appears Ubisoft is open to a female protagonist starring, with Ismail saying:

I would say it wouldn't be surprising to see a female assassin coming up in a mainline Assassin's Creed. But for us, for Assassin's Creed IV, it was always Edward.

I actually don't know what the brand team is working on for the next few games. But the concept of a female assassin, I can tell you it's not a no-no, it's not something we're trying to avoid at all.

The only leading lady ever to grace the Assassin's Creed series was Aveline de Grandpré in the PlayStation Vita exclusive Assassin's Creed III: Liberation.

What are your thoughts on these comments from Ubisoft? Would you like to see a lead female assassin in the future? Let us know in the comments below.

[via uk.ign.com]

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

We need more female protagonist in general. I'm all for it, go ahead Ubisoft. Though I imagine some people will be unhappy with the decision.

MrKenta

MrKenta said:

Female protagonist in the present going through the memories of a male ancestor. Or vice-versa.
I'd like to see how they'd handle that.

TheXboxHero

TheXboxHero said:

I would prefer male over female. It seems to me that Males take a better role at assassins than females.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I wouldn't mind having a female protagonist, but isn't the story of Assassin's Creed is that two groups are warring and some guy sleeps in a machine and relives his ancestors lives? I might go crazy just from waking up in some other time as my great-great-great-grandfather, but waking up as my great-great-great-grandmother would just push me over the edge. Just a thought.

Bankai

Bankai said:

@SkywardLink98 Your ancestors are both male and female...

It's not like there isn't precedent for this. AC3: Liberation on the Vita starred Aveline, who is a woman. And more interesting than that Connor dude.

Good stuff Ubisoft. Give us another strong female character, please.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@Bankai Well yes, I was just pointing out, that waking up as someone else could drive anyone insane, but at least having the same gender gives you some constant, despite how small. I have nothing against a female protagonist, I'm just saying they'd need to swap out who's going in the animus or it could be kinda awkward.

Neram

Neram said:

Maybe Assassin's Creed VI, or VII, perhaps VIII or XIII will star a female protagonist!? At the rate these games are being pumped out, it wouldn't be surprising if it did get to that point.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I don't play Assassins creed because its M but I don't like this idea. If I'm playing as an Assassin then I would like to be a male. I also feel like a female Assassins Creed protagonist wouldn't have the awesome that one of the male ones have just by walking in their hooded cloak as Avaline showed us. Also before you call me sexist I wasn't bothered at all by playing as a female in metroid and Mirrors Edge.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

I don't mind playing as a female character in video games, but it has to be the right type of game or it becomes difficult for me to "imagine" myself as that character. Since I am a guy myself.

Bankai

Bankai said:

Guys. Female assassins have existed as long as male assassins.

Look up "kunoichi" - female ninja.

There is nothing, whatsoever, in the skillset of an assassin that females are not capable of doing just as well as men.

Can we please stop with the casual sexism here or I'll start hitting that report button. I find this line of conversation offensive and ignorant.

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@Banki
I have to agree. It seems more like women would better fit the role of assassin. They are smaller, more flexible, and can move quieter than men...and all those things are key to assassins.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

@15
Yeah guys, you need to go into full hardcore sexism! Not that casual angry bird sexism! Hate women while pwning n00bs in Starcraft 2 and Call of Duty! YEAH!

i'm sorry that joke was just there

Bankai

Bankai said:

@17 "casual" as in implicit, rather than explicit, and conversational rather than a direct agenda.

Honestly. The clarifications you make me do. D:

XXIV

XXIV said:

Hopefully they are working on a new AC title for the 3DS (yes, I realize Lost Legacy is gone, but we can still hope) and it will feature a female protagonist. Maybe a kunoichi?

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

as a guy im all for a female main assasin on consoles, it would be a nice change of pace for once we are equals afterall and no different from each other apart from a few obvious abilities, so bring it on i say.

BossBattles

BossBattles said:

People are obsessed with this gender stuff. None of it has to do with equality.

It is a crime to highlight Danika Patrick when she hasn't won a race, simply because she is a woman.

Men are treated like 3rd rate humans, and many of you "males" love it and have bought into the lie. So sad.

BossBattles

BossBattles said:

Jonathan Holmes, from Dtoid, actually tweeted that he would let his job go, if it meant a female would take his place.

I called him out on it and he called me all kinds of horrible things.

There is a sickness in this society.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@BossBattles I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one. If women want to be equal, (they are) then we need to stop doing crap like this. Giving up your job so a woman can take your place? That's pretty stupid. They way you create equality is not by over-compensating but by simply treating everyone the same.

Bankai

Bankai said:

@BossBattles Everyone's entitled to their opinion, I guess.

It's just that anyone who thinks men are treated like third rate people has an opinion that is empirically incorrect.

And the games industry needs more women in the top jobs. Good on Holmes for making a point of it.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

@SMEXIZELDAMAN: Karai says hello... with her sword! >:3

I agree with SkywardLink98 though. We should have a female protagonist to live out those past lives. Otherwise we'd have awkward moments and the occasional poorly written sex joke. :/

WesCash

WesCash said:

As long as the main character is compelling and not one-dimensional, then it doesn't matter to me what gender they are. So many characters in video games are generic white males with zero charisma.

Grayjedi13

Grayjedi13 said:

Yes, we need more main female characters in video games. (And ones that aren't in the game just to wear skin tight "armor")

And as a side note, after reading a lot of these comments, it makes it painfully clear why there aren't more female gamers.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

to me it would be a bit weird specially like someone said a guy in the animus then turns out hes a girl wtf moment

at the same time they did say they were female assassins in AC2 and brotherhood (the statues) so idk maybe i would be curious as to how a female handles things maybe special weapons only female assassins use either way if they do pick one have it be that one female assassins from china in the embers short movie! that red and black colors on her awesome :3 other wise they might ruin it and be another connor game -_-

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@Dpullam "I wouldn't mind seeing a female protagonist in the series. In truth, I don't really care if game characters are male or female as long as they are likable and have a good story behind them." << This.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@Bankai I'm not, all I'm saying is change who's in the animus. Waking up as your great-great-grandfather would freak any guy out, but waking up as your great-great-grand*mother* would be even weirder, or maybe that's just my opinion.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@Banker-Style
I know right! XD
I'm amazed so many people here are disputing the effectiveness of female assasins. I imagine that it is one of the few professions (historically) where woman had as many oppurtunities as men, largely due to underestimation and misdirection by seduction.
I bet a female led assasin's creed game would bomb on Xbox though :P

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Do all the Assasin's Creed games have the same person using the animus?
It wouldn't hurt to alternate the games with female ancestry though right particularly if animus guy has a sister or cousin.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@Chriiis I dunno. Is Desmond Miles not the only one who goes back? Like I've said, I've never played Assassin's Creed, all I really know is that the Templars and Assassin's have been at war for ages and they trying to track down pieces of Eden so they send Desmond back. Why not just have guys go back and be guys and girls go back and be girls?

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Let me just clarify what I've been saying, as it's not quite as clear as I'd have liked. My point, simply, is that we should have 2 female protagonists. One that relives the memories, and one who the memories belong to. I am not saying, that it should have a male protagonist, or a female protagonist, just that the genders should match between the characters.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@SkywardLink98 I'm not talking about any specific series here, just in general. With a lot of series being dominated by a male character do you not think that female players feel at all awkward having to play through the eyes of a guy?

My point is that sure it'd be nice to have genders play though their own gender's eyes but, should a game not go that route, it's not going to kill you to play through the other's for once.

Girl gamer's have had to put up with it forever, so I don't get why guys are getting all bent out of shape over the vice versa every now and then.

Fillytase

Fillytase said:

I fail to see how waking up as your great-great grandfather would be any less "weird" than waking up as your great-great grandmother.

Also not liking the comments saying "female assassins are REALLY effective! They can seduce people!"... or they can use the same tactics male assassins use? Why perpetuate the notion that if women excel at anything, it has to be by using sex?

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@Chriiis I'm not saying I would be freaked out by playing the game, I'm saying Desmond would be freaked out by waking up as a girl. Sorry for the miscommunication.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@Fillytase If I understand how the Animus (and memories) work, he sees it through their eyes, and senses. It would be more awkward to suddenly be a different gender, much more so than to suddenly be a couple inches taller, or gain some weight, etc. I guess it's just me, but I like being myself, so if I have to turn into someone else I'd like them to be as close to me as possible. Maybe Desmond feels differently, but hey, again, just my opinion.

Lou

Lou said:

@Dpishere Haha, bro... You do realize that women have had to play as dudes way more often than not regardless of whether we can "imagine" ourselves as the character or not? Seriously, I think you can handle it.