TT Fusion: LEGO City: Undercover Will Be "The Best Game on the Wii U"

Posted by Andy Green

May be a bit biased...

Wii U owners haven't had a whole lot of new releases in recent weeks - the delay of Rayman Legends hasn't helped matters - but LEGO City: Undercover will be arriving in a few short weeks, which is definitely something to look forward to.

Loz Doyle, the game's executive producer, recently spoke to NOW Gamer, where he revealed he believes LEGO City: Undercover will help boost Wii U sales.

I hope other developers don’t mind me saying this, but this is the best game on the Wii U at the moment.

It’s got real long term appeal, I don’t see it getting old for the life of the Wii U so I hope it will be a huge success.

Naturally, there's always going to be the worry that it will swan off to another console after a while, in the same way that titles such as Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge have done. However, Doyle doesn't see that happening with LEGO City: Undercover, because he doesn't think it could have been done on anything other than Wii U:

I can’t imagine the game working on any other system. We’d always wanted to do a LEGO City game, and we’d always wanted to work with Nintendo. The LEGO and Nintendo brands are a very natural fit, I think anyone would agree.

When we were first shown an early version of the Wii U, we knew they Lego City Undercover was the perfect match for the console. The available RAM on board meant we could create the city we wanted to, and the GamePad just opened up so many gameplay opportunities. We had to reign in the design team because they were coming up with so many uses for it.

It appears TT Fusion has really put the GamePad front-and-centre for LEGO City: Undercover. In an interview with us last month lead designer Lee Barber said he doesn't believe the game could function without it as "it’s pretty much central and a core element of the game".

LEGO City: Undercover will be released on 18th and 28th March in North America and Europe respectively. Check out our first impressions for more details on the game.

Do you think it has what it takes to be the best game on Wii U? Let us know your thoughts on the matter in the comments below.

[via nowgamer.com]

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

While it might not be the best game on the console, it looks really good. It's also one of the reasons I got the Wii U in the first place, Pikmin 3 being the other reason.

darkgamer001

darkgamer001 said:

Tbf, he said it will be "...the best game on the Wii U AT THE MOMENT". Debatable, but it's not as far fetched as the title may suggest at first glance

jon_simmons

jon_simmons said:

Still debating on this or need for speed. I know I want both. But which to get first?

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

I will probably get it when it is on sale. Monster Hunter is on the top of my to buy list together with luigi's mansion.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

For a second I thought it said LC: U is/will be the best Wii U game period. Thank goodness they didn't, since there is a slew of other titles waiting in the wings that'll completely blow this out of the water in due time...

Bumpon

Bumpon said:

Well, if the game fills my expectations, i guess it'll be the BEST GAME AT THE MOMENT FOR ME ON THE WII U. Guess everyone has to find out by themselves.

Ryno

Ryno said:

If this is the best game on the Wii U then I am selling my Wii U. Let's be real here, this game is not selling systems. People are not waiting to spend $300-$350 for a console and then an additional $50 to play LEGO anything.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

My smaller brother is definitely picking this one up (yay my wallet!), I for one really hope they release either Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101 before April 23, when I return from my vacation to the US.

fluggy

fluggy said:

Looks good but still hate those random Lego chips littering every bloody screen. The thought of having to collect those in every area of the game bores me to tears. Hated it in previous Lego games and hate it more in this. You don't see that crap in GTA!!!

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I have hope for this game to turn out well. We shall see in the coming weeks.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

No, absolutely not. Lego started to bore me a while ago. People say they are different enough but they feel similar enough to so they bore me greatly. I've played Lego: SW 1-2, Lego: IJ 2, Lego Batman, and Lego Harry Potter. They really feel similar and samey to me with different themes. I also don't see how COD ad stuff are brought for yearly releases when there are 2-3 Lego games a year. They have even had three announced Lego and unreleased Lego games at one point.

eirikr

eirikr said:

It will be the best game this month. When Pikmin 3 comes out nobody will care about Lego thing. It can't fight against a Zelda or a new Mario so please relax.

Ras

Ras said:

We WANT good third-party games, so let's hope he's right. Besides, it's nice to see someone that enthusiastic about their project. If I have the dough, I plan to download when it comes out (though I'll miss out on the Lego preorder figure).

There may be a good chance this will stay Nintendo-only, since Nin is publishing.

BTW, I haven't been that fond of the other Lego games, either, but this looks different.

Hairmanban19

Hairmanban19 said:

With Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate coming out soon this will not be even close to the best game on WiiU!

ohhaime

ohhaime said:

I think he meant to say "Best game until Monster Hunter is released the next day."

Neram

Neram said:

It will go multiplatform, this is a Lego game, Lego games are on everything. I don't mind though, I'll most likely be picking this up anyway. It looks pretty good, consistent with other Lego games, yet something new at the same time. There's not a whole lot in the near future for Wii U, so this is something at least.

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

Of course it will be. WiiU isn't exactly drowing in the AAAs right now is it? I for one am really looking forward to getting this.

@Neram
I'm not so sure. Chase has a gadget based on the gamepad and Nintendo are publishers here right?

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I don't know about "best" (at least not once Pikmin 3 comes out), but there definitely seems to be a lot of potential for it. I mean, the addictiveness and collection-heavy gameplay in an open-world environment? Could turn out pretty darn awesome.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

This is one pf the rare Lego games(if any) on a console that are actually based off of a Lego franchise.
It's always good to be proud of your work.

AaronB

AaronB said:

It does look pretty great, and I have it on preorder. Really hope it's not another "Aliens: Colonial Marines" type of fiasco - but with Nintendo publishing it themselves I think that's really unlikely.

BossBattles

BossBattles said:

It looks like a really fun game. i'll be supporting these guys and buying the game day one. my Wii U needs some lovin'.

strongest_link

strongest_link said:

It may very well be the best exclusive on the Wii U. It's hard to imagine that it will go down as a better game than Arkham City.

blackjim

blackjim said:

Well, I'm glad they're confident! I really do hope it rocks!

@Jaz007 This game will be totally different than the other games. Have you even seen the gameplay?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@Philip_J_Reed mine too.

I hope that when the game comes out & I play it, I'll agree with him. & I hope this game becomes evergreen like the Mario games are, we'll see I guess.

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

I understand disagreeing, or looking forward to another title more, but I think it's funny how many people seem to be taking the developer supporting their game personally. It's almost like there's a fanboy schism into subfanboy cliques. I was always going to get a Wii U, no later than Watch(_)Dogs or Mario Kart, whichever came first, but this is the game that got me to get mine now, rather than waiting, so whoever said that this game wouldn't move systems (I don't even care enough to scroll up and look) has at least one counterexample to his (or her) claim.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

This Lego game is gonna make all the kiddies want a Wii U. Still fun for adults, too, but no kid is gonna ignore this game when it shows up on shelves. If the parents are smart, they'll buy it off the eShop so the disc doesn't become nonexistent altogether.
Everybody knows who Batman and all those other heroes are, but no one knows who the heck Chase McCain is.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

THE best game on Wii U? Ha! No. Yes, I haven't played it, but judging what I've seen, definitely not the Wii U's best. ONE of the best? There ya go.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

It will probably be good but I know for a fact it wont be the best game. For one thing the Wii U is still young and for another MHU is coming out the next day. I am willing to bet that MHU will be the number one selling Wii U game this month.

seronja

seronja said:

lol, this year watch dogs is comming for wii u, i'm pretty sure that will be the best game for wii u, for a long time =)

mch

mch said:

I assume so. At least for a little while, cause there is good stuff coming!

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Considering they are saying "at the moment" he might have a shot if this is refering to new Wii releases as opposed to ports. Can't wait to read some reviews for this game!

manic221

manic221 said:

had on Pre-order since the WIi U launch date was announced looking forward to this game.

odd69

odd69 said:

I wont pay 59.99 for a lego game, release it at 29.99 then ill buy it day one, actually might wait till this hits the bargin bin

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

I can actually see this being the best Wii U game for a long while yet.
I seriously can't wait for this,

cdude

cdude said:

Can everyone stop with the system seller crap? No one knows who buys what or why. If things like that could be predicted, the vita wouldnt have spent the last year in the slums it has and almost every console that comes out would see 20 million sales the day if release.

Well done exclusives always matter. Theres no such thing as a fantastic or, very well put together title thats not worth taking into consideration. I see no difference in the gameplay experience lego city is supposed to offer gamers and those that are alleged to be offeted in pikmin, mario 3d or zelda.

The only difference is that lego city isnt, by itself, an established franchise, but neither was killzone. Franchises gotta start somewhere, you know, and as far as starts go, lego city looks to be off to a great one.

If the charming cartoon quality of this particular title is offputting to you, you may find that youre in the wrong boat.

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

I don't know about all that. The Lego series of games are funny and entertaining to play for a while but soon lose steam. I mean I'm sure it's a good game but there are more games already out with better game play and engrossing stories. If you are a Lego fan this statement could be true but as for me I will wait for Watchdogs.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I definitely will be buying this one day one and I can't wait. Will it be the best? I dunno, ZombiU was damn impressive and I love NintendoLand and Batman. Still it's already got me into buying it and if it's as good as they reckon, I'll be glad to have spent the money! I can believe them that it'll be the best but only until Pikmin3 is released!

MrOwnership

MrOwnership said:

It will be the best game for a solid 24 hours. Then Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate will come out and be the best game for several months.