There's A New Turrican Game Inbound, But Super Turrican Is Off The Table

Posted by Damien McFerran

News of a new entry is sullied by the removal of the SNES version from the Virtual Console

The latest issue of German Retro Gamer magazine has revealed that a new entry in the Turrican series is on its way. Turrican Rebirth will be a 2D shooter with a heavy emphasis on customisation, allowing players to make their own weapons and stages to share with others. There's no solid word on who is developing the game yet, but apparently Black Forest Games have been contacted — they recently rebooted The Great Giana Sisters, to impressive effect. There's also no word of which platforms the game will be coming to.

As is often the case, good news is accompanied by bad. Super Turrican has been removed from the North American Wii Virtual Console, and Nintendo is apparently unaware of the reason why. Nintendo Life forum member apwoes got in touch with Nintendo to query the move:

I just called Nintendo (because I'm pretty upset, as I planned on buying it this(!) weekend), and they said that they had no internal data on the removal. They said it could simply be a "lapse" where the game is unavailable for whatever reason for a short time. But they had no idea beyond that.

The other Turrican games are unaffected, and according to Nintendo Life member Omega, Super Turrican remains available on the European Virtual Console.

[via Topic: Super Turrican Removed?, destructoid.com]

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Maybe they removed it because Rebirth contains the original game as well? And they just haven't announced that feature yet? Just a thought.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

The new game sounds cool if you can create your own levels. Hopefully they put the old one back on the VC.

And hey do a sale for all 3 games so people have incentive to buy them to try out the series. That's crazy!

edhe

edhe said:

Am I going to have to rush out and buy Super Turrican 1 & 2 now, like I did with Donkey Kong Country 1+2+3.

It's ridiculous how Nintendo of America aren't aware of why the game is no longer up. They are in charge of the online store, aren't they?

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Let's talk about the new game people, it sounds exciting! Anyone hoping for a 3DS release?

Smug43

Smug43 said:

Yes! Turrican 1 & 2 were some of the best Amiga games EVER! This is awesome news!

apowes

apowes said:

I called NoA just a single day after the removal, so that may be why they had no information. That was a few days ago, so it's possible that their system has updated since then, and they could have record of the removal now. But who knows for sure...

I was upset because of the fact that no notice is given prior to removing games. It frustrates customers, and it means that Nintendo misses out on a ton of last-minute sales that I'm sure they would receive if people knew that certain games were next on the chopping block.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Sigh

I bought Super Turrican 2 and Mega Turrican off the VC. Super Turrican was all I needed and now it's gone. Once again, a notice would have been nice.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

@apowes
I know, I'm glad that Nintendo gave us notice on the Donkey Kong Countries removal, but publishers should tell us of removal beforehand and an actual reason for their removal. Sim City was the worst, no official explanation (obviously because EA are just greedy since they own the franchise and the release of Sim City 5), but I remember the removal being very sudden...

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

It will probably be for the PC but I do hope a Wii U version is announced. A Wii U version of Great Giana Sisters would have been great, too.

MegaAdam

MegaAdam said:

Should probably go buy Super Turrican 2 and Mega Turrican now, if you want them.

apowes

apowes said:

@bulby1994
We in the USA really got shafted when it comes to the DKC trilogy. The warnings given to European Wii owners of the upcoming removals (which would be on Nov. 25) started popping up online on Nov. 16.

But here in the USA, the trilogy was silently removed that very same day, on Nov. 16 (not considering differences in time zones). So the warning given to European Wii owners did us in the USA absolutely no good, because the games were already gone.

Omega

Omega said:

I just checked the german Wii shopping channel again and both Turrican games are still there (Super Turrican and Mega Turrican). Though, I wonder why we never got Super Turrican II. Especially since it was developed by a German company.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Shame the VC never saw the C64 versions, they are what I think of, when I think of Turrican! I still have the cassette, yep, thats what we played games from back then...

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

@Omega Ha, yep me too, loading screens often had really good tunes, so the wait was ok.

I wonder if Manfred Trenz is involved in these newer versions, Turrican on C64 was a great game.

HolyBlade

HolyBlade said:

Maybe they removed it to release the much touted director's cut version of the game for VC, which they promised and never delivered.

And by that I mean, that won't happen at all and it's gone for good.

Dr_Salvador

Dr_Salvador said:

This is very exiting news! ;o) One of my alltime favourite games still is Turrican 2 on AMIGA 500! That game is awesome and not to forget the incredible music! :D

HolyBlade

HolyBlade said:

Just want to inform you guys that Super Turrican is back on VC. Indeed, it seems its removal was only temporary.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

This game (The Rebirth) better be at least as good as Gunlord. (Which is basically a Turrican clone released fairly recently for Neo Geo / Dreamcast).