Super Metroid is 19 Years Old Today

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A defining game of the 16-bit era

We couldn't forget this anniversary now, could we? 19 years ago Super Metroid was released in Japan, though it was in later Western releases that it truly found an adoring audience. While not the first game in the series, it's arguably the most commonly cited and recognisable adventure starring Samus Aran.

Whether it was the immersive, challenging world and gameplay, the iconic design or that music, this is a title that is one of the defining high-points of the Super NES; a console some believe may be the best of all time, let's not forget. Even casting rose-tinted retro glasses aside, this is still a game that stands up today, and we're pretty sure it'll shift a lot of downloads when it arrives on the Wii U Virtual Console for 30 cents/pence in North America and PAL regions in May.

So, hats off to Samus Aran and, of course, those talented game designers that made this game happen. Let us know about your memories of Super Metroid, past and present, in the comments below.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Agreed, this is an immediate download as soon as it hits the eShop.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

I will be thrilled to celebrate by getting it on Wii U VC, and playing through it for the umpteenth time. :) They just don't make games like they used to. Oh, what I'd do to get my hands on a new 2D 3DS or Wii U Metroid of Super Metroid's caliber!!!

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

I unfortunately haven't had an opportunity to play it yet, but I'm going to get it on Wii U for 30 cents for sure.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

I want Metroid: Zero Mission as soon as GBA VC hits. Much better game IMO (or at least aged better)

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

That means...it'll be 20 years old next years?

OMG YES!!
That means Retro IS working on a new Metroid game! ...Sigh, I guess no Star Fox game from Retro...

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Recently played through this as my kids watched and my 3-year-old son nearly flipped during the final battle. Such a classic.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Ah, Super Metroid, my Favorite Nintendo game of all time, my favorite non-JRPG of all time and finally my 5th favorite game of all time overall.

Say Nintendo, why don't you try making a metroid game in this style again? I need something to fill my Metroidvania quota now that Castlevania isn't doing that anymore either.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Such a wonderfully marvelous game this is! One of my favorites on the SNES. Happy 19th birthday, Super Metroid!!! :)

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I didnt play this game until after super smash bros came out, and samus was my best character. My best friend had super metroid, and it was his favorite game. I told him i'd never played it, and that weekend he spent the night at my place and brought his cartridge over. We played til the early hours in the morning to beat it, and had a blast. I then convinced my parents to let me buy the game on ebay, and in the final year of the N64 era, i spent my time replaying super metroid on the SNES. I still have the game at my parents' house, but i cant wait to download it on Wii U. It's in my top 5 games of all time.

Jgam

Jgam said:

the first game i had finished is now 19.....going to play this again in my old snes

slim420

slim420 said:

me and my buddy used to stay up all night playing the snes.this was one of those games,next to donkey kong,battletoads,miss those days.happy bday super metriod

Zeldalover

Zeldalover said:

Nothing can top this kind of quality. Period. It is the epitome of the 16-bit awesomeness. Happy Birthday Super Metroid!

Omega

Omega said:

Where is the super dad that hacks this game to transform the heroine to a hero for his three years old son?
Untitled

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

It was 19 years ago today
Super Metroid taught the world to play
It has never once gone out of style
But there's not been 1 for a while
So may we introduce to you
The game you've longed for all those years
Retro's sequel Super Metroid U

seronja

seronja said:

it's because of super metroid that my favourite nintendo franchise is metroid, and what i would like to see in the next few years is this: 2D metroid on the wii u and 3DS e-shop, 2.5D metroid for 3DS and a 3D metroid for wii u. Not asking much but it would make me and many others very happy, if nintendo could pull this off =) happy birthday super metroid, see you in may for 30 cents =D

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Still one of my favorite games of all times. I can't even remember how many playthroughs I have done on the SNES, VC and soon Wii U VC.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I'm one if those who hadn't played Metroid at all... My first was Metroid Prime, and I didn't get that until halfway through the Wii's life. My first 2D Metroid was Metroid when the Ambassadors got their free games. I enjoyed it, but I didn't truly love the style. Then we got Metroid Fusion. Oh my gosh...! I can't wait to get the "best" Metroid game! I hope we get a Metroid or Metroid Prime on 3DS and Wii U.

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

Haha, I wasn't even aware of that! The funny thing is that I am going to record the final episode of my Super Metroid Let's Play today. Talk about coincidence :P

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

No new 2d Metroid on the Wii U please, but I would love on on the 3ds.
I've never played this game, will certainly change that in May, but I have listened to several CD's worth of remixes of the soundtrack and that's reason enough to be psyched!

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

Will definitely be the best deal at $0.30 I really wish Metroid would have gotten a respectful anniversary that the others did :/

LinkaHolic

LinkaHolic said:

Best Metroid title of them all..I'm totally hoping we get it on the 3DS also.. Maybe next year when it turns 20, we will get the awesome, birthday coolness!

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

@HawkeyeWii Still another year till its 20 so I'm sure it will get the anniversary it deserves.It's likely that's what Retro's working on and I would guess we'll eventually see it at E3.Only 1 problem with that,we might have to wait another year to play it!

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Like many of you, I vividly remember playing this with a buddy back in '94. My friends and I mainly played multiplayer games (Kart, Street Fighter) but for some reason this totally hooked me in. Going through the final sequence for the first time is still my single favorite gaming experience, 19 years later.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

Oh yeah! One of the best Metroid titles got a birthday! Happy birthday Samus! Good-looking cake by the way. I can't to play this again when it comes to the Wii U eshop this May!

Nekketsu3D

Nekketsu3D said:

19 years of one of my favorite franchises and I'm still waiting an ad for Nintendo 3DS

madaxel

madaxel said:

If I have to pick one, to me Super Metroid is #1 best game of all time. Not only because of the brilliant atmosphere of exploration, the great VG music and joy of item collection (especially the hidden ones). But mostly because it manages to drop the player from the seat multiple times. I still remember encountering Kraid for the first time - 2 screen tall bosses were something that was never seen before in video games. But the best moment of the game is the ending. I will never forget the impact it had on me.

I think games nowadays could learn a lot from Super Metroid - it doesnt take a complicated plot with variety of characters to create great drama.