SteamWorld Dig Is Burrowing Its Way To The 3DS eShop This Year

Posted by Damien McFerran

"Not another 3D effect showcase nor a cheap port", according to the developer

Swedish studio Image & Form has announced SteamWorld Dig, a new title for the 3DS eShop which is expected to launch later this year.

Set in the same post-apocalyptic world as SteamWorld: Tower Defense, the game will be a "hardcore platform mining adventure" with "beautiful, high-res graphics with dynamic lights and multiple parallaxed background layers". Image & Form is also proudly stating that it's "not another 3D effect showcase nor a cheap port; we’re making an Actual Game".

It certainly looks attractive, and it's nice to see more 3DS eShop exclusives on the horizon. Will you be investing in this once it launches?

[via steamworldgames.com]

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Hmm interesting, I've allways been a fan of mining games, but I've never bought one, I wonder what a non-flash one would play like?

Captain_Bagel

Captain_Bagel said:

I'll probably get this, it's a pretty unique genre and I've been waiting for a 3DS game with a graphical style like this (most other games are 8 bit or 3D models).

gurtifus

gurtifus said:

That's what we expect for our Nintendo hardware : fresh gaming ! So you're welcome "Image & Form" !

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Looks cool, but I need to see some gameplay to make any sort of sound judgements about the game.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

"not another 3D effect showcase nor a cheap port; we’re making an Actual Game". O.K. I'm now interested.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

I'm interested, but I have to see what else this game has to offer before I'm concrete about a purchase.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

"not another 3D effect showcase nor a cheap port; we’re making an Actual Game".
Are they suggesting that there have been a lot of games that fall into those categories? I can probably think of many games in the cheap port category, but I can't think of many I would classify as being just a 3D effects showcase.

Klinny

Klinny said:

I really like the look of this game so far. Very interested to see more!

NImH

NImH said:

I'm game. At this point, I will be financially supporting Nintendo exclusively for gaming, and I love their current indie-friendly image.
I got ur back Ninty.