Pokémon Rumble U Trailer Shows NFC in Action

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Details of first set of figurines included

Announced in Coro Coro magazine in February, Pokémon Scramble U, commonly being called Pokémon Rumble U in the West, arrives as a download-only Wii U title on 24th April for 1800 Yen, which at the time of writing equates to just over $18/€14/£12; it continues on from Pokémon Rumble on WiiWare and Pokémon Rumble Blast on 3DS.

With the Wii U platform we can expect plenty of manic action on the screen at once, but as we've previously reported it'll also be the first game to use the GamePad's NFC functionality; rather predictably this'll involve selling small toys to bring characters into the game, rather than eShop card scanning or a free option. It's hardly a surprising move in light of the phenomenal success of the Skylanders series, and the potential for the 'mon franchise to seize the "collect 'em all" trend.

Some details have emerged now on the official site, for one thing confirming that the first "set" of figurines will include the following popular characters - Bulbasaur, Pikachu, Torchic, Piplup, Lucario and Victini. The figures that are scanned into the game can be boosted using in-game currency and can be moved around different Wii U systems by simply scanning them on a GamePad, while retaining stats. So far, so Skylanders, though a welcome extra for those with very young gamers who are interested is that attacks can apparently be made by just using the GamePad's touch screen.

The figures will cost eager fans 200 Yen (approx. £1.40 / €1.60 / $2), and it'll be interesting to see how popular they become. You can see the game in action in the trailer below, so let us know what you think.

[via serebii.net]

Volmun

Volmun said:

Cool im glad we get to see the NFC in use id love a Flygon Figer lol

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

I want to know what it means by 'free'. Is it like Pokemon Stadium, or is it more like a demo?

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

If I ever get this game, I may need to buy the Bulbasaur figure. Because I freaking love Bulbasaur.

At least they give the option to get Pokemon like you did before I assuming from the trailer. Maybe the figures are more powerful or have exclusive moves?

BenAV

BenAV said:

I really enjoyed both Pokemon Rumble games, but if I have to buy figurines to get the most out of this then I'll probably pass.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

Hmm. Ill probably only get my favorites then. $2 really isnt a bad price point. I thought it would b more.

LunaticPandora

LunaticPandora said:

i bet japan sells the figures in gashapon machines, explaining their price. well how are we meant to buy them then?

robbleshague

robbleshague said:

The polygonal toys are quite nifty looking.

The game itself reminds me of the Pikmin portion of Nintendoland, which is nice.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Strange selection of Pokèmon. Not a single one from the 2nd generation either.

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

@RudyBelmont
i personally think its going to be free to download and play. you just have to pay for the figures. at least i hope so, it seems the most fair way to use nfc to me.

Kohaku

Kohaku said:

@Big_L91

You have to pay for the game also but you can see these Pokémon as the one you normally got with the passwords. And these Pokémon are trainable what in Rumble is impossible. As far as I understand can you now play the whole game with Pikachu while in Rumble you had to change everytime you entered a new area.

SteveW

SteveW said:

I love Skylanders and Pokemon but this is not going to work, if this were a real Pokemon game then sure, I would definitely be sucked into the whole idea, but this is going to be another lame console effort that they have been giving us for years, and it's not going to be worth buying figures for... I just do not understand why they can't deliver a real Pokemon RPG like they do with on the handhelds.

seronja

seronja said:

i will stick to skylanders when it comes to toys, because skylanders is a better game then this anyway.

Late

Late said:

@Big_L91: It says in the article that the game costs 1800 Yen. The game doesn't seem to require you to buy figures. At least the video shows getting Pokémon the same way as before in previous Rumble. Figures are special versions of normal Pokémon since you can train them and store information on them.

Araknie

Araknie said:

Look at the video if you don't you didn't know that you have Pokèmon in the games even if you don't buy the figures.
Figures are just like Shiny version of 'em, they can be more powerful but you still have the normal version of the Pokèmon in the game.

People saying that this is worse than skylanders skipped part or the whole article.

This way better than skylanders and disney infinity, becuase you have the pokèmons in the game, the figures are just a plus.
That's how it's done!

snoox

snoox said:

Wow, gameplay is not what I expected, looks rather terrible IMO ^.^

nomeacuerdo

nomeacuerdo said:

This IS a Yen machine, I think it will sell well on Japan. Outside not so much.

What I would like to see is this same concept implemented on a Simpsons game like Tapped Out.

ohhaime

ohhaime said:

I'm glad too see that you can still collect Pokemon the normal way without having to buy Figures. Now I can be exited about the game again. ^_^

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Just as I imagined, optional and not a requirement unlike skylanders. I was hoping they would grow with exp and not currency but no problem.

Now the question is would they would release this west side and if so, can we knowingly buy the figurines we want. I would hate to do that mystery pack buy for the ones I want, and yet sadly I would still do it.

Late

Late said:

I'm pretty sure they'll release it worldwide. Pretty much all the Pokémon games have been released worldwide, especially the recent ones, although I don't know what happened to WiiWare Mystery Dungeon. I'll buy it when it comes here. I've had fun with both previous Rumbles.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

@Late what about Pokemon Battrio? This seems the most similar it concept, since we can purchase a physical item that has a Pokemon to bring into the game.

edcomics

edcomics said:

I'm looking forward to this quite a bit.

I have to say, though, that the "collect 'em all" craze can't last for too much longer. With the Disneylanders and next Skylanders installment, and Pokelanders on top of that... To put it simply, parents are going to draw the line somewhere. That's my guess, anyway.

Still, this looks good. The HD graphics with nice shiny toy Pokemon will be fun.

TotalHenshin

TotalHenshin said:

If they're going to imitate Skylanders, they should at least have a better game to implement it with. Like a Mystery Dungeon-like game or something.

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

Then that means we could use figures for Rayman Legends like in the leaked trailer.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

If they actually release a Gardevour figure which they won't, I might buy that but I don't think I'll ever buy the game.

Savino

Savino said:

Kinda disapointing.... I was expecting a far better idea coming from nintendo...

Emaan

Emaan said:

NFC functionality looks very interesting. I'm a little curious about this statement "It's hardly a surprising move in light of the phenomenal success of the Skylanders series, and the potential for the 'mon franchise to seize the "collect 'em all" trend." I'm fairly certain the Pokemon franchise started the collect 'em all trend, in terms of video games and entertainment at least. :O

Fillytase

Fillytase said:

OMG, this is unbearably cute, and I wanted to start a collection of Pokemon figures anyway. I freaking want the Bulbasaur and Torchic <3 I'm probably definitely thinking of getting this...

Fillytase

Fillytase said:

@Epicnessofme99 I think I read somewhere that the game is going to be the equivalent of $20 USD. Still pretty reasonable imo when you consider the one for 3DS started at $35-40, and didn't support NFC.

Edit: Oh, this very post says that. But I read it somewhere else too, lol

Neram

Neram said:

I could care less about NFC, honestly. The technology itself kind of freaks me out, as it's based off of RFID, which has some serious controversy surrounding it. Even that aside, I just don't see how NFC really enhances the experience with video games. The whole Skylanders thing seemed like a complete cash-in to me, using cheaply made figures with an NFC tag built in, enabling a device to read a simple code of information which essentially just verifies you have the figure. It's a neat idea for kids or figurine collectors, but I mean really, it's just such a worthless idea to me. This is of course just my opinion.

Boofonater001

Boofonater001 said:

Cool it is going to be nice if you can save your Pokemon's data inside the Pokemon like Skylanders. It will be nice to use the NFC for pokemon for a change.:D

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

This game sounds like skylanders, but same time sounds a much easier affair to deal with economically.
The game cost much less, the figures too, and all the extras seems to do is adding to the experience a little part, not a main deal. Glad to see Nintendo didn't jump on the "skylander's boat" with a load of over 600 figures necessary to get in order to play a single game XP

CharbroiledEwok

CharbroiledEwok said:

I'll pass: the 3DS version was very disappointing, mostly because so many rare encounters had such a small chance of finding/recruiting characters. :(

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

this game looks amazing! i was wondering how they could make it even better than the 3ds and wii ones and boy are they delivering! can't wait for this to come out

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

At least they're not required to play as those characters so its not as bad as Skylanders or Disney Infinity.

rjejr

rjejr said:

My kids would make us buy a Wii U for this much more-so than any Zelda game. I hope the rest of the levels are in the game and not just the final boss parts. They should build in a vs. mode. Graphics looked really good for $20 eShop. Olimar's ship makes me really want Pikmin 3.

I don't think gamers understand the concept "target audience" when they aren't in it.