Pixelscopic Hopes To Bring The Zelda-Inspired Delver's Drop To A Nintendo System

Posted by Damien McFerran

"Our inspirations come primarily from the Super Nintendo Era, though we're pulling from a lot of other sources as well."

Delver's Drop is the kind of game you'd get if you combined The Legend of Zelda: Link To The Past with Demon's Souls and added in a pinch of Diablo — and it could be coming to a Nintendo console in 2014, if all goes according to plan.

We've been speaking exclusively with Pixelscopic's Ryan Baker about the possibility of the title making its way to either the Wii U eShop or 3DS eShop. "Our inspirations come primarily from the Super Nintendo Era, though we're pulling from a lot of other sources as well," he told us.

To better illustrate which games have influenced the design of the game, Baker has created the following diagram. The names of some of the titles should get retro fans positively salivating:

Delver's Drop is currently on Kickstarter and has already met its target goal of $75,000. In fact, it has managed to secure almost twice that amount - and at the time of writing, still has a few hours left.

Baker also confirmed that his company has spoken with Nintendo in the past about becoming an approved developer, but was also keen to point out that at present its focus remains on getting the game finished on its current platforms — PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android and Ouya:

We're fans of the Wii U and 3DS, but we have not decided on a console between the three big platform holders. We will most likely decide this based on how well it does after the PC/Mac/Linux release, and continued fan requests for console. Honestly, we'd love to support all of them, but that would likely be a 6+ month endeavour to add to our tech and support these systems. We had made a Kickstarter stretch goal for the console port, but it looks like that will not be met by the end of our campaign. But as with all other unmet stretch goals, we will consider developing them later if the game is successful and we have continued fan interest.

As you can see from the screenshots and trailer, Delver's Drop is looking absolutely fantastic. Described by Pixelscopic as a fast-paced action RPG with an emphasis on realistic physics and random dungeons, the game places the player in the role of a Delver, an unfortunate soul imprisoned by cruel forces and selected to descend into the bowels of "The Drop" — a dungeon with a mind of its own — with the promise of loot and freedom. Most don't survive, and turn into sinister "Undelver Wights" — zombie-like warriors which possess the same items and skills as the original Delver, making things even harder for the next player who enters The Drop.

Dying in the game causes you to lose all of the items you've collected, and also randomises the dungeon so your next attempt is fresh and new. Boss characters and logic puzzles add to the challenge, and you'll be able to play co-operatively with other players, too. One of the stretch goals for the game (which has now been met) is a 4-player competitive Deathmatch Mode described by Pixelscopic as a fusion of Super Smash Bros. and The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords. Please, just take our money now.

Needless to say, we'll be keeping in touch with Pixelscopic and tracking the progress of Delver's Drop. Hopefully the PC and mobile versions will be such a success that the Wii U (and possibly 3DS) editions become a reality, too. There's a few hours left on that Kickstarter, so remember to pledge your support — it might help get this amazing-looking game to a Nintendo system next year!

Knux

Knux said:

The ever-increasing amount of Kickstarter projects are beginning to concern me. I'm not exactly crazy about putting money down on games that I've never played. Hopefully, this Kickstarter craze will die down soon.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

@mariobro4 I know what you mean! There have been far too many lately.

This game does look interesting though. I just wonder how many of these kickstarter games will actually turn out good.

Nareva

Nareva said:

I'm not sure about the whole Kickstarter craze, but the game looks great.

LDXD

LDXD said:

Delvers drop does looks good if it makes its way too the Wii u I'll get it. Just wish there was more like a huge over world or something :/

Looking at that diagram I see one game that I would absolutely love to see make a comeback and that's crystalis

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Looks intriguing but I hope it is not TOO hard since those types of games turn me off.

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

This looks rather awesome! Would love to see this on the 3ds with some added depth from the 3d :)

edhe

edhe said:

The more the merrier.

However, I can't help but roll my eyes whenever I hear the words "Retro", Indie" and "Zelda Inspired" together in the same article. It seems to me that declaring that your game is inspired by Zelda is a convenient crutch for some developers.

I'm sure it would be great though.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

@edhe: Agreed. In fact, something about this game gives me the feeling it isn't going to be all that great.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Looks like a good game but I REALLY don't like the art style, those lighting effects and boring dungeon like patterns are killing my eyes.

Icefreak45

Icefreak45 said:

It's funny, I saw this on kickstarter when i was going to donate to Another Castle's kickstarter and almost did but thought it would be amazing on the wii U or 3ds. I almost went so far as to recommend to them to seek out Nintendo and strike up some kind of deal XD.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

So many Kickstarter campaigns! At least people seem really enthusiatic about bringing their games to Nintendo's consoles! :)

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

@Knux It's not like the kickstarters campaign are made by companies like Activision or EA, stop being such a jerk. And it's NOT like you need to give them any money, I just hope you don't buy the game if it ends up coming to the 3DS/Wii U, it's just "another Kickstarter game", after all.

The game looks good, but...the controls seem to be a little slippery, I really hope your character's not "moving on ice" during the whole game, physics don't work like that lol

DudeSean

DudeSean said:

Zelda 2 is in the "Puzzle" category and not the "Combat Focused" category. That is a fail.

DudeSean

DudeSean said:

@kkslider5552000 Seriously, why bring up Call of Duty? You know full well that every Nintendo title (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.) don't require kickstarter campaigns to get made, so why bring up CoD?

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

@Knux It's probably unlikely for Kickstarter to die down. Sure the number of projects that has been announced has been overwhelming as of late. But concerning kickstarter itself does not seem like doom and gloom. If you don't wanna support the projects that's fine.
B.T.W: The kickstarter projects do allow to give you free games if you plop down enough money.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@DudeSean the way I took it was AAA titles he did say cod and the like but that's just how I see it.

@Knux Anyway its obvious that there is a market for these type of old school games and I personally look forward to this one in particular, it's not like anyone is forcing you to buy or support it so I don't see what the problem is.

@Anyone can someone explain to me what kick starter actually is? It seems to me like green light on steam but I seen in the comments that the games maybe free when released? Are they going to be full games or more like phone games filled with micro transactions?

DudeSean

DudeSean said:

@LDXD 1. I think he was using CoD as an evil corporate game compared to fun loving indie games. 2. Do some research on kickstarter yourself. You're already on the internet. It's not that hard to find out.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

When big publishers decide which games we can and can't play, people complain.

When a service like Kickstarter comes along and empowers gamers to pick the games they want to see get made, people complain.

You really can't win.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

@LDXD Basically kickstarter is a website that has projects that are need of money and get help from the backers (i.e you/any person that has signed to kickstarter) to make it live. As for the games; which game that'll be designed for the platform depends on the game/developers willpower/money that is backed. Here's the website for more info kickstarter.com

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

This looks to good to be true. If the randomization doesn't get in the way of greatness it surely looks like a game that'd be amazing on the Wii U.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@DudeSean 1.good answer you could have just answered the question instead of typing a bunch of nonsense, of course if you don't know yourself i can understand 2. Not all indie games are fun loving guess you haven't played binding of Isaac

@Mariobro4 thanks yeah I was looking into it yesterday just recently started hearing about it.

@Damo yup lol I don't get it

DudeSean

DudeSean said:

@LXDX lol. Catch a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for life. No, I haven't played it, but I wasn't saying that all indie games are fun loving. But if you don't get what I was saying, then nevermind.

swordx

swordx said:

I'll be buying Ouya if this doesn't reach a Nintendo console. This looks amazing!

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

Settle down people! Knux stated a perfectly valid reason not to back Kickstarter projects (not wanting to pay for something that does not yet exist) and he's not the only person I've heard that opinion from.

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

@Jukilum Except he said he doesn't feel like "putting money on games he hasn't played". Even though that's what a lot of people did with Resident Evil 6, DMC, Aliens...
Only difference? Those people paid $60 for those crappy games (DMC being kind of an exception), you could pay like $15 and still get most Kickstart'd games for "free" later on...

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Jukilum not backing it is one thing but wanting it to die down or go away is something else it's not like you're forced to support this. If it wasn't for green light and kick starter we wouldn't see many if any of these games

@Melkaticox exactly

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

@LDXD @Melkaticox
Point taken. I personally am not against Kickstarter. The vitriol against Knux seems a little much though.

On another note, this game doesn't look that great to me. The competetive mode sounds appealing though.

I have supported a Kickstarter game project, but I would be reluctant to do so on another. The developers kept delaying the game until they eventually just said that they aren't going to announce any more release dates and just release it when it is done. That's the problem for me. Once you've supported something, there is no guarantee it will be delivered in a reasonable amount of time.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Looks great, but a bit slippery (like Alttp). It reminds me of Four swords adventures: Alttp with a lick of paint! Very nice!

Hetsumani

Hetsumani said:

I never liked top-down view games, side-scrolling were my thing back in the 8 and 16 bit era. So I think I'll pass on this one.

doctor_doak

doctor_doak said:

Been keeping an eye on this one, and it's definately got potential.. though obviously still a work in progress. If they can deliver what they're promising it would be a great addition to the wii u library..

One I really hope makes it's way to the Wii U shop eventually is Spelunky HD..

BennyFresh

BennyFresh said:

@Knux Kickstarter projects have produced some really awesome stuff recently. I can see why you wouldn't want to back them yourself, but if other people want to risk there money to get a neat looking game made then they should go ahead. Obviously not all of them will be great, but you don't have to buy them.

thames6376

thames6376 said:

@Knux How can you say that about kickstarter.com it's the best thing that ever happened to gaming. No more stupid publishers and games are cheaper. Plus they custom design the games for the fans. Wow and for what a lousy $20 dollars, such a risk besides you get the game when it's done. So your not really donating money. Give me a break dude.

Knux

Knux said:

@thames6376: So you joined just to make that lame comment? I guess I really must have stirred up your soul. ;)

Anyway, to put it rather bluntly, I don't care for Kickstarter. It started off as something good, but developers have become way too reliant on it. Kickstarter has the right to exist, but developers have turned it into something that I'm not really fond of.

I'm twenty-two years old by the way, so anyone insulting my age are wasting their time. I don't like putting down money for games that may NOT turn out good regardless of funding. Developers might not give a sh*t about the quality of their games after they've received their ''funding''.

I'll pay for Kickstarter games, once they are out and reviewed if there is one that I'm interested in. But I'm not going to pay money for the development of a game that I might dislike or hate. It's essentially gambling that I can avoid.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

@Damo
Somebody somewhere will always find fault with something. The internet just makes it easier to hear the complaints. Too bad people don't spend time complaining about stuff that matters.