Nintendo to Show a Lot of Unreleased Games at the SXSW Gaming Expo

Posted by Olly Jones

Get your mitts on them before anyone else

If you're heading to the SXSW expo in Austin, Texas this weekend you may be lucky enough to grab yourself some play time with a handful of the big Wii U and 3DS releases of the year. The best part? Quite a few of these games haven't even hit the shelves yet.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf will make its North American debut as a guided demo while eShop titles Kersploosh and Game Freak's Rhythm Hunter: HarmoKnight will also be playable.

Game Freak is, of course, best known for giving us Pokémon, so we think expectations will be high for its new rhythm-based sidescroller.

You'll also be able to shake things up on on the Wii U. Players will be able to break and build their way through the streets of LEGO City Undercover, burn rubber in Need for Speed: Most Wanted U and take down titanic beasts in the hotly anticipated Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Wii U games and applications scheduled to be shown include:

Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
LEGO City Undercover
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Need for Speed Most Wanted U
Wii Street U powered by Google
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land

While the Nintendo 3DS lineup features:

Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon
Animal Crossing: New Leaf (guided demonstration)
LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
Kersploosh!
HarmoKnight
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate from Capcom
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate
Fire Emblem Awakening

The SXSW Gaming Expo runs from 8-10th March in Austin, Texas. Nintendo is at Booth 500, so don't forget to bring your 3DS for those all important StreetPass hits!

Arianabtd

Arianabtd said:

Dang it!
I would totally go to Texas if I had the chance. But alas, I cannot.

JSuede

JSuede said:

Considering Pikmin 3 and W101 don't have release dates, but are scheduled to come out sometime in the next few months.....think we'll get a release date by the end of March?

I mean, both of those were slated to be in the "launch window" of Nov-March, but were delayed for polishing purposes, surely they must be close....

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

Pretty hyped for HarmoKnight :)
Still looking forward to e3 more than anything though. It's so far away...

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

Aw, man! I'm from Austin, but I go to college in Alabama. Can't believe I'm missing this. :(

KingDunsparce

KingDunsparce said:

Wow, I read the title wrong at first glance. I skimmed the page and read "Nintendo to Show a lot of Unannounced games..." Anyways, I wish I could go but I am rather far from Texas.

C7_

C7_ said:

@MasterWario
Agreed; I've been waiting for Pikmin 3 for years and it was supposed to be a launch title, then a launch window title, and now it's an incredibly vague date range.

It was their big opening announcement at E3 last year, why do we have nothing but a demo, a trailer with footage taken from the same demo, and a trailer that shows how shiny it is but nothing about gameplay?

Really hope they show off new things there.

JSuede

JSuede said:

@ocarinadude14 Do it! Let us know if Pikmin 3 is new stuff too.

@C7_ I can't imagine it will take much longer to finish, May at the latest (currently slated for April-June). They know people want it and without anything else to really move systems (outside of Japan), investors will get antsy. Pikmin 3 looked shiny way back when....just think how good it will look after being delayed for polish purposes. o.O

They know they need to start selling the system more, so I'm thinking that W101 will have new stuff there too, rather than just that same trailer running on a loop. That would be a HUGE mistake.....they are smarter than that...they just need to use their intellect.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

Good thing I live in Austin and go to this thing every year.
Now I'm excited!

EDIT: Also, if anybody is wondering, the two characters beside Mario are from a game called "FireFall".

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

@Pixelroy
LOL, that's what I thought, too.
I think there is enough games to make up for the lack of it, though (for me at least, anyway).

BTW, If anyone passes by me at the event, my username is "Rc"

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

No Game & Wario? That doesn't make sense, but at least there's still Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Harmoknight, and Pikmin 3 are there for the lucky few.

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

man i can't wait for wonderful 101... i might be the minority here but that is the game i've been waiting for

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

Hm, looks interesting. How old do you have to be to go to this? I can't pass for 18. :|

MasterWario

MasterWario said:

@C7_ Yeah at this point I I'm not going to clamber about a release date. It feels like we'll never get a solid release date so if I can't get that then I at least want some new gameplay footage.

@JSuede You would think that if it's coming out soon they would advertise it more. Actually, it feels as if most of the games coming out this year are sort of creeping in, rather than being showered with (hype) info like Super Mario Galaxy 2 pre-launch had. Dark Moon, for example, is coming out this month and I hardly know anything about it (other than that fantastic-looking multiplayer).

Then again, perhaps I simply want to know more about games coming soon than in previous years.

JSuede

JSuede said:

@MasterWario I agree, Nintendo has a bit of a marketing problem at the moment. Though, I do feel like games don't get nearly as much advertising as movies in that you hardly see marketing for it until a week or so prior to release. I remember only seeing Dead Space 3 commercials not long before and after it released. Now, it is pretty much non-existent.

It doesn't help that pretty much every site has this weird bias against Nintendo (other than here....obviously). There are a few stories here that I haven't seen anywhere else. For instance....there were 2 indie games announced for the Wii U and 2 different devs gave Nintendo praise for how easy they are to work with....IGN had neither story, nor the one about Crysis 3 being ready to launch. Joystiq is a little better, but not much.

I kind of feel like Nintendo is doing a soft launch of the Wii U, since there were hardly any commercials around during launch and none of them really showed anything. Let the early adopters pick it up, help with tweaks, word of mouth, streamline and build the Miiverse while the library grows. Then blow the doors off at E3 and bring a deluge of games this fall.

I'd expect to see commercials/ads for Luigi's Mansion in the next couple weeks, same goes for Lego City....especially on channels with child demographics. Marketing to kids will get the parents to buy, while gamers tend to know about things ahead of time. Casuals might see an ad somewhere but neither of those games falls into the same market as something like Wii Fit, so they are less likely to care regardless.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I, like pretty much everyone else here, would love to go; but I'm afraid Texas is a far cry from Ohio. :p

chucknorrmis

chucknorrmis said:

@JSuede I thought they announced that those titles were coming out waaay after summer... I'd REALLY love for them to come out sometime extremely soon though, there's only so much internet surfing I can do on my wii u

JSuede

JSuede said:

@chucknorrmis If you're talking about W101 and Pikmin, they are currently slated for Q2 2013 which is April-June. They both were originally going to be Launch Window with Pikmin most likely appearing in March.

Coupled with Miyamoto saying that it wasn't "delayed" so much as..."sort of shifted", I feel like Pikmin is at least pretty close to releasing. To me, the "sort of shifted" means they took a look at it and said, "Can it look better?" and then it moved back for pure visual polish. A delay, to me, seems more like they took a look at it and said, "X,Y,Z issues need to be fixed before it is released. Push it back."

Best news is.....the drought will soon be at an end regardless. In 10 days, Lego City Undercover releases....40-50 hour game and apparently quite good. The next day you've got the definitive version of NFS: Most Wanted that features upgraded visuals and some pretty cool gamepad stuff. Also on the 19th, there is Monster Hunter....which people have put well over 300 hours into....it's crazy.

*this thing really needs a notification system for when someone replies.