Nintendo of America Reorganising its Operations

Posted by Andy Green

New York employees heading to Redmond

Nintendo is reorganising its operations in North America by moving some of its employees from the Park Avenue offices in New York to those in Redmond, Washington. A much smaller office will soon open up in New York, where a few staff will remain.

For those of you who are worried, the Nintendo World Store isn't going anywhere - cue sigh of relief.

In a statement given to Kotaku, Nintendo of America spokesman Charlie Scibetta said:

Nintendo is keeping a facility and operations in New York. The Direct Consumer Communications (DCC) team is moving to Redmond headquarters to merge with our Network Business Department (NBD) to provide better digital offerings and services for consumers. Other Nintendo staff unrelated to DCC will remain in New York in a new office location close to the Nintendo World Store.

Many of Nintendo's games are translated and localised in Redmond. The New York setup was responsible for the Club Nintendo rewards scheme - this will now be done in Redmond.

[via kotaku.com]

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

My dream is to someday visit the Nintendo Store in New York. All of the Nintendo merchandise is just mind blowing. Not to mention the fact that Nintendo showcases many of their new games there.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

@Pikminsi Its a wonderful place over by Rockefeller Center. They've got lots of merch based on Nintendo's IPs including clothes, toys, accessories, cards and candy. They have 3DS's and Wii U's everywhere with some of the most popular games for people to play. The first floor is more Pokemon & 3DS focused while everything else is on the second floor. They also have a small "museum" on the second floor showing off various Nintendo items donated from fans like Consoles, Games, Toys, Nintendo Power Issues, Console accessories & attachments and more. Every time I go there I find myself playing games with other people and answering people's questions like I work there.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

It really don't effect me since I don't live there but nintendo world is a nice looking place from what it looks like in the vids.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I hope to someday visit the Nintendo World Store. That place is to me what the idea of going to Disney World for the first time is for kids.

EdJericho

EdJericho said:

I went to Nintendo World once and it honestly wasn't anything special, in fact I was pretty disappointed since I expected so much more out of it.

SpaceApe

SpaceApe said:

Reorganization is a sure bet they are losing money because of the lack of Wii U sales.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@SpaceApe
How? They're just moving networking people around. It's not major restructuring like the one Sega underwent recently.

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

Honestly I don't know why hasn't Nintendo at least offer some of the merchandise in the store online... Or even mimic the Disney store model a bit? ..

Tony_342

Tony_342 said:

"The Direct Consumer Communications team is moving to Redmond headquarters to merge with our Network Business Department to provide better digital offerings and services for consumers." ... "Nintendo of America said the restructuring will have no impact on consumers whatsoever."

So, they will provide better service for consumers without having any impact on consumers. Interesting.

(Yeah, I know what they meant. I just thought it was funny.)

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Strongo9 wrote:

Nintendo, why do you have to be based in Washington? Keep the job opportunities in the city!

Uh, you do know that Redmond is a city, right?:P
I certainly hope those guys don't mind the rain, cause it gets pretty darn wet down here.

SMW

SMW said:

Sweet. I always preferred NOA being in Redmond. Both NY and Washington are far from me, but I would rather visit Redmond. (Or get my dream job at Nintendo. :P)

dazzleshell

dazzleshell said:

i went to Nintendo World in 2007 just as mario galaxy launched. Bought some merchandise but it was over priced. It was on my New York to do list of course.
There wasnt much in the store to be honest.

When i have a cup of tea it has to be in my huge nintendo world mug.

russellohh

russellohh said:

@Pikminsi Its cute and fun! Its maybe half or a third the size of a normal toys r us. There are a lot of action figures and stuffed toys there you can't get anywhere else, as well as a few museum pieces. If you're in NYC, its right by Broadway and Times Square, so its easy to get to. Worth a trip if you're in the area- I passed it several times on my way to a Broadway show. It is a little disappointing- You see everything there is to see in 5-10 minutes, depending if you poke through every single rack or not.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

The Nintendo World store is great for streetpass - I picked up a whole bunch of people while I was there last year during a trip to New York. While checking out thier little museum, I also saw the legendary Gameboy that was damaged during a bombing in the Gulf War yet still works.

Gilius

Gilius said:

Nintendo world has beautiful architecture from inside and out. I never been there but, my friend has bought things and took pics there. There's a burnt Game boy color they have on a stand. It was bombed in the Gulf war and owned by one of our troops in America. I was astound by this.
Untitled

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

@Dpullam Yea mine too, though I think I would probably lose control of how much I actually want to spend and end up with an empty wallet!