Iwata's First Post On Miiverse Reconfirms Reduced Loading Times For Wii U

Posted by Orla Madden

New update will make it quicker to load and exit games

Nintendo President and CEO Satoru Iwata has taken to the Miiverse to reconfirm that the update Wii U users are receiving in April will bring with it faster loading times.

Iwata wrote:

Hello, this is Satoru Iwata of Nintendo.

As we announced in the January Nintendo Direct, we plan to release two Wii U system updates. One in spring, and one in the summer.

Today, I would like to let you know the status of these two updates.

We are planning to release the spring system update in April, which will improve the time it takes to launch software, and the time it takes to return to the Wii U Menu.

We still have tests remaining, and it will take a little more time until we can release the update. But today, we have prepared a video so you can see how the loading time will change when returning to the Wii U Menu with the system update, so please take a look if you are interested.

In the future, we would like to share announcements about Nintendo Direct events here, so we appreciate your continued attention.

And lastly, like in other Announcement Communities, please understand that while we read every comment, we are not able to reply. Thank you.

Nintendo posted the video mentioned by Iwata yesterday, which shows off the comparison between loading times, and you can really see the difference. However, it only showed the process of dropping back to the Home menu, so it's encouraging to hear from Iwata that software will also be quicker to load.

Two updates are scheduled for release, one in Spring, and the other in the Summer.

The speed comparison is pretty impressive, what are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comment section below.

[via nintendoeverything.com]

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

While the load times haven't bothered me too much, it's nice to see that they are working on fixing them.

tsm7

tsm7 said:

I'm sure this will be great when you experience it first hand. Obviously, though, I'm a bit more interested in that virtual console update.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

@ Ideal_Hero i completely agree. Ive noticed the load times but it has never kept me from playin my WiiU im glad Nintendo is workin hard to make this experience even better than it already is

@tsm7 yuppers! Where is my virtual console the suspense is killing me LOL

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Will the spring update also speed up the opening of the miiverse and profile? (To attempt to connect to the internet), because those are the loading times that have really frustrated me. Once the updates are out, I'll begin to recommend the Wii U to friends.

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

I love when they own up to the 'good enough' they aimed for was too low and improve things.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

I still can't believe this is Nintendo. They've certainly shown their determination and willingness to create a service that delivers on the expectations of their customers.

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

It's really nice to see the improvement over the loading times but those never really bothered me, so what I'm really interested in, is for when the release of the Virtual Console?

adrenochrome

adrenochrome said:

very good news, ~30secs to wait to acces settings is unacceptable

another good improvement would be to add an option to : switch off at end of download while screen blanking on gamepad, currently you cant do both at the same time

ho.. and allow auto-download of game updates instead of forcing us to start them manually and wait

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Wildfire If I remember right, it comes out with the Summer Patch though they already had some titles up for early purchase such as Punch Out, F-Zero and Balloon Fight for 99 cents through a monthly promotion.

@SpaceApe I really hope you aren't trying to start a flame war.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Hopefully the one in Summer will increase speed further and will fix the overscan issues.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Ps3 has overscan, But is sorted by all games having a screen adjust option in game. I know not all games on WiiU have the option at the moment but would of thought it will become a standard option.

As for slow load times, sometimes It's been a pain but not console experience destroying but we're in the age of firmware updates and game patches so like the Xbox360, Ps3, Wii, PsVita and 3ds the console's release with a operational OS but one that will be improved added to in time once the system is out in the wild and the console manufacturers can see what the public like/dislike and want from the OS.

The Ps4, Nextbox's OS will be the same.

Pikminboy

Pikminboy said:

Personnaly never noticed the loading times were high
but this will definitely please all the impatient kids :)

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I'm hoping the Summer update reorganizes some of the interface. Jumping between friends and miiverse and other places is more convoluted than it could be. Plus, the faster one can get into and out of miiverse the better.