Four Classics Available Now in the Latest Club Nintendo Rewards

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Check your coin balance, North America

Every month Nintendo of America unveils its latest Club Nintendo offers, giving members a chance to exchange hard-earned coins for download codes. Often the games available are hit and miss, but this month seems to offer a strong line-up to suit various tastes. The following are all available until 7th April.

3D Classics: Kid Icarus — 150 Coins
Starship Defense — 150 Coins
Super Punch Out!! — 150 Coins
Mario Tennis — 150 Coins

As always, the free codes can only be redeemed on a Wii U, Wii or 3DS — Starship Defense, despite being DSiWare, must be redeemed on the 3DS eShop.

So, will any of these deprive you of some coins? Let us know in the poll and comments below.

Which reward will you download first? (200 votes)

3D Classics: Kid Icarus

32%

Starship Defense

Super Punch Out!!

Mario Tennis

I'll pick up more than one

Nothing for me this month

43%

Please login to vote in this poll.

[via club.nintendo.com]

Related Games

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

I'm thinking about getting Kid Icarus 3D
One of the only NES classics I haven't played.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

I have literally thousands of coins, but I prefer having original game carts than VC and my System Memory is already full of DSiWare (I hate moving them to SD). I would get Kid Icarus because of the 3D effect, but I have it already, I preordered Uprising.

ScreamoPichu

ScreamoPichu said:

I realized this last month of rewards, I was going to get Paper Mario, then I realized I couldn't play it. I said, "I'll play with my GameCube controll- wait....." I can't play it on my Wii U unless I have a Classic/Pro Wii Controller. Which I don't have. And I plan on getting a Wii U Pro Controller, but that won't fix the problem, either...

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Already have these games. Also, give us some new reward games, Nintendo. These recycled games are starting to get tedious the 2nd time around. Please don't tell me you plan on putting them up a 3rd time a few months from now......

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

I got Starship Defense last time it came around and think it is hands down the best DSiWare title I've ever gotten*, couldn't be more pleased with that pick-up. If you like Tower Defense I strongly recommend it. It's original...and brutally hard, but if you learn what does and doesn't work it's very rewarding to beat!

This time I picked up Pit. Hoping the new control scheme and 3D will make it fun again after all these years :).

*Excepting my own DSiWare titles of course! I don't think it's fair to compare something I made b/c I'm just a little biased! (Airport Mania ftw!)

rayword45

rayword45 said:

Why is Starship Defense always the one chosen for release? The other Q-Games titles need exposure too (Trajectile, X-Scape). As a trilogy of stylized games, they're the best damn games the DSiWare shop has to offer (Cave Story is outclassed by the 3DS update, and loses points for being released too many damn times)

andbap

andbap said:

The european rewards program is so pointless... The closest we can get is "nintendo points cards" that can only be used on the Wii an DSi, completely useless for the most recent generation of nintendo consoles. What the hell, nintendo?

MeWario

MeWario said:

I'm so sick of Nintendo AU. We still get tea towels and stickers! And they cost thousands of coins to get. you guys are so lucky!!!

Squid

Squid said:

Oh boy, I only have enough for one of these. I don't know which to pick... D:

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

I was waiting for that "free" Kid Icarus. I picked it up yesterday, I'm just waiting on Kirby to get the last classic that I have mild interest in.

TheRavingTimes

TheRavingTimes said:

I would much prefer a solid object oppose to something that I can get for a game but at an overpriced deal. Better yet, why not just release original titles like Tingle Balloon Fight.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I decided to get Kid Icarus since I've been wanting it for quite a while now. I also didn't really want to pay for it so this was just the opportunity that I needed.

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

im probably going to go with kid icarus though mario tennis is also very tempting

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

I picked up Kid Icarus since I have been waiting months for this game to be offered for free.

ueI

ueI said:

Finally! I've been waiting for that 3D classic. I can't believe they're actually repeating some of these.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I snatched up Super Punch Out!! as soon as I saw the update and I'm just a couple of surveys away from 3D Classics Kid Icarus.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

I'm guessing the Nintendo Life team hasn't realised this, but in the NA Club Nintendo section for redeeming Super Punch Out!!, and excerpt from the Nintendo Life review is featured:

"Nintendo Life says: Super Punch-Out!! is a great sequel (to Punch-Out!!). It really only improves on what was already there, being careful not to screw anything up. If you liked the NES game you can do absolutely no wrong in downloading this.”

KiwiPanda

KiwiPanda said:

I'll pick up Tennis and I already downloaded as well as played Kid Icarus. So much better than Of Myths and Monsters :D

Shane904

Shane904 said:

Both good DS/3DS downloads. I already have them both (preorder for KI, and CN last time for Starship Defense). Not as much of a Wii player so I'll pass on the Wii one's. Might have got Tennis if it included the GB link unlockables.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Kid Icarus looks good. Having a blast playing Paper Mario right now. Its funny b/c my wife keeps saying "I remember this part", only we've never played it, that was "Thousand Year Door". In her defense they are VERY similar.

123akis

123akis said:

im in england, just wondering.... how many coins do you get on the american club nintendo for a 3ds game and wii u game? in europe we use stars, we get 250 stars for 3ds games, i got 250 for NintendoLand (wii u)

animegrl93

animegrl93 said:

I'm 50 coins away from reaching platinum but it looks like I won't be able to. My mom won't let me buy anymore games. :(
I wanted to reach platinum really bad.

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

Ah man, I got Kid Icarus Classics with Uprising because I bought it when it came out, otherwise that would be a cool thing to spend some NClub coins on. As for the others, naturally they are all games that I wouldn't really even want if they were completely free. That seems to be par for the course with the NClub downloadable games. They only seem to offer things that everyone already has or more commonly, games that nobody wants.
It's pretty much Nintendo saying "we don't care about these games at all so do whatever you like".
They really need to offer either exclusive games or dlc, or make a direct coin-to-nclub-points conversion and let you pay for anything that you want on eShop with your club coins (or stars). There is some great stuff on the eShop that I would LOVE to spend my hard-earned coins on.
But this is Nintendo we're talking about, and they never give people what they want or even do things that are perfectly sensible.

The list of club rewards seriously needs to be revised in general. They have had the same handful of things on there for ages and ages and it never ever changes. It doesn't take long before your coins end up just sitting there forever because there isn't anything to spend them on.
I mean come on, I'm really going to waste coins on a mario notebook, or shoe laces, or a teensy weensy little washcloth? How many mario DS pouches can one man really need? I've already bought two just to spend some coins.
The 3DS game case with changeable covers was cool (and I'm glad that I snagged one) but most of the time it isn't available.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

^Starship Defense and Super Punch-Out are both great titles. I don't delve into VC much, but Starship Defense is a one-of-a-kind experience.

Dodger

Dodger said:

I want a punch-out game sometime, but I think I'll pick up Mario Tennis.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@DePapier 150 coins isn't 150 stars. From what I understand, 10 coins is equal to 50 stars unless there was an update recently. Anyway, 150 coins is roughly 3 retail games, or $150 so it's not quite as good a deal as 150 stars :(

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

I got Paper Mario last month, so I'm out of coins. All the same, I'd go with Kid Icarus if I didn't already have it and I had coins.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

Got the Kid Icarus and seems actually fun. worth a bunch of coins I got for buying stuff I wanted anyway, lol. That Starship Defense looks great but hate the memory limitations of DSI ware. For shame. Yes I know they can be put on my SD card, but no thanks.

nomeacuerdo

nomeacuerdo said:

I don't know if I should download Kid Icarus, looks tempting! They should release Majora's Mask, but I know that is too much to ask u_u

LegendaryQ

LegendaryQ said:

Grabbed Starship Defense first time around. Will grab Kid Icarus if I can make the room on my SD card. The fact that I managed to fit Fire Emblem without actually removing anything on the standard 2gb card is a feat in itself.

JLSniper

JLSniper said:

mmm not interested in the wii ones until there specifically for wii u... and not interested in the others

ted-k

ted-k said:

@nomeacuerdo
Apparently Majora's Mask was already offered but I missed it. Since a bunch of games have been offered more than once I'm hoping it shows up again. But I'm tempted to get Mario Tennis, which would use up most of my coins.

To the people complaining that 150 coins for a VC game is not a good deal, I say it's a nice little bonus just for buying Nintendo stuff you presumably wanted anyway. I got Paper Mario last month and really enjoyed it. Although I agree it would be nice to be able to spend the coins on anything you want from the wii shop/eshop.

Koapa

Koapa said:

Another US advantage.
Europe is worse or what? Here are only a few "Nintendo things" exchangeable. :-(

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

I already got 3d Classics: Kid Icarus with Uprising, and I have to say, it's amazing (especially the music towards the end), albeit with a somewhat warped and reversed difficulty curve.
One of the Punch-Out titles is about to go on sale on the WiiU VC (for 30¢), so I think I'll wait for that.
As for the other stuff, I've already passed it up once, so yea . . . , but great selection this time around

sens123

sens123 said:

Does anyone know how many blocks of memory Kid Icarus takes up? My SD card is nearly full from downloading Fire Emblem and I need to know if it can hold it.

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

I spent all my coins on both Game and Watch Collections :P They're going to be worth a fortune, I'm telling you!!
I never buy games with my coins, because I try to save them for material stuff.

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

I already have "Super Punch-Out" on Wii, but I'd highly recommend it to those who don't have it yet. (Even to those who don't like fighting games. They'll probably enjoy the simpler controls to.)
Shame I only have 100 coins... I'd love to get Mario Tennis.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

I got Kid Icarus! Downloading as I type this. I never got to play the original as a toddler (back when I had an NES) so it'll be great to be able to play it on the 3DS. And if Mutant Mudds teaches anything, it's that sprites look AWESOME with the 3D Effect! :B

Ben_Rage_V2

Ben_Rage_V2 said:

I just downloaded Kid Icarus, because it's one of those rare NES game I never got around to playing. At first I really enjoyed it, well for about twenty minutes. The game is more punishing then Demon Souls. I had nearly 1000 hearts through patient and diligent thinking while navigating level two. And I died and lost it all. And it is way too easy to die. If you fall of the screen, that's an instant death even if there is a platform right below. Gaming conventions like this don't translate to our modern day. It's more frustrating then fun and I am supremely disappointed. There are plenty of NES games that are still fun today, this is not one of them.