Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya's New Title, Gero Blaster, Looks Set for 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Nicalis seems to be stepping in once again

Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya is quite a favourite among some gamers, particularly those with a taste for retro-styled graphics. Best known for Cave Story and for his origins developing games as PC shareware, new releases from the one-man developer have been less forthcoming. Fans with a 3DS in North America have had the opportunity to try another of his older titles recently, of course, with Ikachan's arrival.

Amaya has unveiled a new title, however, Gero Blaster. A side-scrolling shooter with clear graphical and gameplay inspirations from his most famous title, you play as Kaeru, a gun-toting frog, on the search for his kidnapped girlfriend. Announced at BitSummit in Japan for a May release, it's not clear whether that's its scheduled arrival in Amaya's homeland or in a number of territories. Oh, and it's officially an iOS game right now.

But, of course, Twitter goes into gear, and a speculative tweet prompted Nicalis man Tyrone Rodriguez to giveaway the fact that, unless something goes wrong, his team is working to bring the title to 3DS.

You can check out some screenshots below. Let us know whether a brand new action shooter from Amaya is high on your wishlist.

[via destructoid.com, polygon.com]

ParSnake

ParSnake said:

Wow! Another original Pixel game? That's great! I hope this means Rockfish is coming out soon. It's one of my most anticipated games!

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Interesting. That frog and the cat in the 5th screenshot are characters from a series of short comic strips Pixel made in 2002.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Sometimes a retro graphic style looks charming. Other times it just looks lazy. This is one of those times.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

This game actually looks pretty cool. Hopefully it turns out good. I doubt they can recreate the success of Cave Story but at least this game has a chance of being good even though it probably won't be a cult classic. We shall see.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

I have to agree with Geonjaha this looks incredibly lazy. There isn't half the charm that was in Cave Story. The main character doesn't stand out except for the fact that he's bright and green. The enemies have more expression than the frog. Also there is a certain lack of detail that was seen in Cave Story. Hopefully this gets a lot more work. It looks almost worse than Ikachan in visuals.

Windy

Windy said:

I'm Still on my Boycott from buying any Nicalis games until Europe see's a release of Cave Story. So come on Nicalis Release Cave Story to Europe so I can Buy Ikachan and this game.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

This is pretty neat. The original beta for Cave Story had a frog as one of four or five playable characters.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I remember in a 2010 Nintendo Power interview, Pixel stated he wanted to make a new iOS game. Glad he finally made it.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

@Geonjaha @Radbot42
Presumably, this game will not take five years to develop, like Cave Story did. If that's the case, I personally don't mind if it doesn't quite reach the same graphical heights. ;)

lebad

lebad said:

good news BUT where is Cave story + for European 3DS eshop ????????? I'm sad I can see that games like VVVVVV are here in europe without being translated SO what about cave story + I don't think that it is a translation problem we can play with english subtitles!!! What is the problem please Tyrone Rodriguez give us some information or maybe NL has a response for us?

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

@Linkuini - You don't need five years of game development time in order to create a graphic style that's better than that. To be honest a decent pixel artist could make that stuff up in an afternoons work.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Not too shabby looking, though I am not too big a fan of Pixel's games. But I have nothing against them either.

Squashie

Squashie said:

The graphics look gorgeous, however, Nicalis games like this haven't had much luck in the past making it to Europe. Which is a real shame. Hopefully, we get it though!