Criterion: Support Need For Speed: Most Wanted And DLC Could Happen

Posted by Damien McFerran

"It's as simple as that"

At the weekend we reported on the rather depressing news that the Wii U version of Need for Speed: Most Wanted may be missing out on DLC support. Unsurprisingly, that caused quite a bit of ill-feeling, with many Nintendo fans taking to Twitter to voice their concern to Criterion's staff.

One staff member who has been getting his fair share of pleading tweets is Criterion's Creative Director Alex Ward. He was asked on the popular social networking site about the chances of DLC:

So there you have it — support the game and there's a chance that DLC will make it to the Wii U. Makes sense, really; there's little point in EA and Criterion spending time (and consequently money) on porting the DLC over if the game hasn't sold well enough in the first place.

[via twitter.com]

Grubdog

Grubdog said:

Shouldn't THEY be convincing us to buy the game, not the other way around? This is an abusive relationship I'm not getting involved in.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm going to be downloading this game as soon as its available on the eShop, I hope they bring the DLC over but the game is amazing as it is now anyway (exactly as it should be imo, DLC only being additional & not a critical piece of the game) so I'll still be enjoying a great game either way.

DePapier

DePapier said:

Somebody noticed it before in the previous post's comments. I'm glad the updated article is here.

Lin1876

Lin1876 said:

I haven't played a Need for Speed game in years (Shift is the last one I remember), but Criterion's Buronout Paradise was awesome, so I'm certainly going to have a long look at this.

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

It seems fair to me, they've definitely got a point.
What I found pretty unfair, on the other hand, is the full price, which is likely to be.
You know, it happens that a Wii U owner is a PS3 owner or 360, or both, and could buy the game at a lower price, and the Wii U version should be 29,99, simple as that.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

I hate racing games (excluding top-down racing games), but loved the original Burnout. Is this game for me?

SpaceApe

SpaceApe said:

Not understanding why devs are dissing the Wii U for dlc and every other console gets support with no questions asked.Are people seriously concerned because Wii U sales are tanking bad ?

nilcam

nilcam said:

@SpaceApe I think a large part of it is that there are tons more PS3s and 360s out there. Those systems have been around for, what, 7 years or so.

I bought the game yesterday and love it. I plan on checking out the Co-Driver mode with my wife tonight. I also have the PS3 version and the Wii U version looks much better.

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

@L-Lawliet
No I don't, would you tell me please?
I do know how third parties support works on Nintendo home consoles though, especially EA.
They port Mass Effect 3 while PS3 and 360 users get Mass Effect Trilogy, then the pointless Wii U port performs poor sales, and they say Nintendo fans are not keen to buy AAA third parties games.
The same old story.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

It sounds like gamers are harrassing the wrong people to me.
It's the publishers that green light any dlc not the developers.
No doubt Criterion would like bring dlc to NFS, they like the WiiU, its EA that doesn't thier publisher. However if NFS ws to sell really well then even EA might have to relent and alow Criterion to bring dlc to NFS.

I am personally putting Good 3rd party titles before first party games at the moment when it comes to buying games, Nintendo will be releasing games what ever happens but 3rd party publishers are looking for reasons to abandon the WiiU and the only way to show them we want 3rd party titles is buy buying thier games.

gsnap

gsnap said:

@Grubdog Seriously.

"Buy the game, and then maybe you'll get the content we're giving to our other, favorite customers."

No, how about you promise me the content that everyone else is getting, and then maybe I'll buy the game.

And don't give me that "But they're a business, blah, blah, blah.." excuse. Businesses are more successful when they try to please their customers.

ether_breather

ether_breather said:

I bought Most Wanted U yesterday. It's a polished game that takes advantage of most of the Wii U's unique features. It's totally worth the money. Buy it.

Void

Void said:

@gsnap Like @GiftedGimp said, I'm pretty sure it's EA's choice as the publisher wether or not they want to pay to put DLC on the Wii U.

So I'm not surprised at this.

angelwhispers_

angelwhispers_ said:

Interesting to note that NONE of the developers and NONE of the gameplay footage have mentioned or even complained one bit about the use of Digital Triggers. A lot of 'Gamers' chat biscuits, or are just hating for hating's sake, and it's both tiresome and pathetic. I said from the start that this wasn't the issue certain people made it out to be at all, and I've been proven right.

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

Origin is selling this direct for $29.99
NO reason not to get it at that price!!
I've had some qualms about not having DLC planned, but they went all out in supporting WiiU. This is not a quick and dirty port. It is the first 3rd party game with MiiVerse support.
I don't like the DLC thing AT ALL.
But for $30 I'll definitely support what the Dev did. EVERYONE should if they want more devs to put their hearts into a WiiU game.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@gsnap
That's not fair, think about it. If only 5000 people actually pick this game up then there isn't very much point in utilising resources to offer the DLC to a miniscule number of people the majority of whom probably wouldn't buy it anyway.

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

I'd say this is the moment.
If we want companies to take WiiU seriously we need a huge effort to support this game. Operation Rainfall big. Tell your friends on facebook. Get people to order. Show 3rd parties the WiiU has fans who will respond when they bring their A game!

This is an opportunity.
We've complained through a whole generation of Wii that 3rd parties gave us inferior crap. When they do bring us a superior version, do we support it? Or do we prove that they've been right to give us inferior ports for a generation!

I don't known if I'll love this game, I'm frustrated by the DLC, but I recognize this is the moment! Do we put up or shut up?
I for one want to send the message that when Nintendo gets a superior version of a game that has been lovingly made, that it is wanted , loved, and supported by the players!

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

Sounds like a fair cop. This is one of those games though I'll only pick up if I'm looking for a good new racing game so sorry guys. Unless anyone here wants to buy it for me and help all the NFS fans get their DLC?

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

I've got the money in my eshop account so I can download it this friday, so I hope others show their support too!

SethNintendo

SethNintendo said:

My decade long EA boycott prevents me from buying this game. I suppose I can just play Burnout 2 (GC).

VolcanoFlames

VolcanoFlames said:

Although I may not be able to buy this game, i have a request, Criterion.
Advertise the game. And maybe put in the Wii U, telling them that the Wii U, due to it's awesomeness is where you'll get the best experience.
Still going to try to get this on their Facebook page.

skjia

skjia said:

@VolcanoFlames
Seriously. I want to support this game but can't find it since stores are barely getting any copies and aren't even putting them on the shelves. Although your request should go to EA since they're the ones that handle the advertising aspect.

Razalom

Razalom said:

Dont really care for DLC myself but still going to get this game. Have it on the Vita and it was impressive enough on that machine!

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

That just makes things worse. If you want the DLC, buying the Wii U version of the game would be a gamble.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

WiiU looking good for driving genre: sonic racing, f-zero, need for speed, mariokart, project cars :) happy me.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

DLC is the last thing on my mind when purchasing a game. Just bought NFS and enjoying it! Doing my part to invest in 3rd party games, as long as they warrant a buy or peek my interest. If DLC comes then great, if not, no biggie.

Neram

Neram said:

And what if you support the game for that reason, but it still doesn't get the DLC? cue Duck Hunt dog's laugh

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

I'm going to buy NFS from the Origin store on Friday. $30 is just too good a deal to pass up.

krunchykhaos

krunchykhaos said:

I don't get why this is even an issue.... Think about this: you make a product that you want people to enjoy. You take the time to optimize it, not needing to necessarily, for a new audience and take a risk doing so. Why....on God's green earth would you take money out of your pocket to make additions that you won't profit from? Developers, and yes EA as well, are people too.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

When I went on the Origin store it had gone back up to $60, so I missed out. :(

I'd really like to get the game too, but having just bought MH3U, Lego City and wanting to get Lugi's Mansion 2 I just can't splash out another $60.

doctor_doak

doctor_doak said:

What kind of twisted world are we living in where people are begging for dlc???! Good lord. Stop encouraging them!!! :)

Old style 'Expansion Pack' content, that's created mostly after the game's shipped is ok. Everything else is just milking people who buy the games for every last cent they can.