Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Release Dates and Details are Pillaged

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Arriving during the triple-A silly season

So, we can legitimately reveal some key Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag details now, even though the embargo has leaked more than a ship pillaged by Blackbeard — add your own additional pirate puns here, dear readers.

For starters, the details that really matter are that the game will arrive on Wii U on 29th October in North America and 1st November in Europe. The main protagonist is Edward Kenway, the father of Haytham Kenway from the previous game, who leaves the navy to grow his hair and be a fearsome pirate; naturally he gets caught up in a battle between assassins and templars.

As you'd expect, a great deal of focus is on action out at sea, as you start with a modest ship with the goal of looting your way to a more powerful vessel; there'll also be around 50 locations to visit in this part of the game. There'll be plenty of action on solid ground, as well, with three main hub-worlds being included — Havana, Kingston, and Nassau.

While the developers have stated that this entry builds on previously established tenets and assets, this does seem like a fair diversion for the franchise; certainly thematically and, it seems, in terms of the gameplay focus. While it may be tempting to tease the pirate-theme — as we already have here on Nintendo Life — it'll be interesting to see how the premise translates into the final game. We're also quietly hoping that the GamePad touchscreen will be utilised a little more than in Assassin's Creed III, where it was used to view the map and call your horse.

It's a blockbuster release coming to Wii U, so check out the official trailer below and let us know what you think. If you want to know more from our network man at last week's press event, check out the Assassin's Creed IV reveal article at sister-site Push Square.

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

Looks quite ambitious. Though, I'm concerned to whether the hype will fall through the cracks or not. As it did with the majority of its predecessors.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Looks like I will be able to kill my virtual Portuguese ancestors somewhere in there, looking quite forward to this since I loved the naval bits of ACIII.

Araknie

Araknie said:

Way to teach Activision how to make a game for year.
I was just curios before, now i'll pick it up for sure at launch, and for Wii U. The naval parts on the Wii U in ACIII were done really good with a smart use of the GamePad.

Plus, i love pirate games, yarrrrr!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I have to wonder wether this would have been better as a new franchise. I'm really excited about it, but can these port towns offer the playfirming that AC is all about? I loved the setting for AC3 but it didn't work as an AC game. It lacked the height of the cities in the earlier games.

TheEmerlLad

TheEmerlLad said:

I keep telling myself, god this early!?

But beyond that, I will hopefully imagine this game will be fixing the bugs and glitches that ACIII provided so ruthlessly. As much as I enjoyed the fact they almost perfected the combat system, the poor graphical issues, especially towards the ps3 port(go figure), destroyed my enjoyment to the game.
It's a beautiful engine. It just needs to get it's kinks worked out. ACIV with luck, can do so. Will be getting the Wii U port for sure!

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

sigh i have so many mixed emotion about this part of me says it looks good and the other says fudge that and wait -_-

ok first did anyone notice how there trying to make him feel like its ezio? same gun type but you have2 and 2 swords as well seems cool nice combat style... what rly felt like a AC game was the ending him killing with the hidden blade then blending in...

the big question is will this be any good? and bug wise? they can make cool trailers thats for sure sems like this should of been the game that came out first though instead of AC3

capitalism

capitalism said:

Ac3 was awesome and this looks awesome. The islands and treasure hunting sound really neat and I like that they're making it even more open world.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I missed Asaassins Creed 3, my brother bought it instead, but I think I'm getting this one.

residentfire

residentfire said:

I am excited about this, I like how they chose to use Connors "Grandfather" as the protagonist. Might be some interesting background story to be seen.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

I haven't played a game in the Assassin's Creed series since the very first one, I'm just not too keen on series that come out every year since I feel that you will see more significant improvements over the course of 2 years or more. I guess at this point the series will have changed quite a bit for me at least so I am willing to give this a chance since I find sailing seas and upgrading your ship to be intriguing to me. Just have to wait for reviews to make any sort of a decision.

Matillion

Matillion said:

I really like the pirate approach, The only AC game I have is the second one though, so I don't know how much the series has changed over the years.