You Can Now Control Your PC With Your Wii U GamePad

Posted by Damien McFerran

UPDATE: Actually, it's the Pro Controller, not the GamePad

Update: As several helpful readers have pointed out, this hack is actually for the Wii U Pro Controller and not the GamePad — although someone is working on it. Apologies for any misunderstanding or disappointment caused.

Those bedroom coders. Is there anything they can't do? Take the Wii U GamePad, for example — there's now a Windows-based application which allows you to use the GamePad to control your PC.

It's not an entirely straightforward process and you may need to tinker around with the Bluetooth drivers on your computer, but it does work.

Another catch is that currently it's only possible to map keyboard keys to the various inputs on the controller — so the analogue sticks won't work properly. However, where there's a will, there's a way, and another coder is working on an app which makes the PC think the Wii U GamePad is an Xbox 360 controller, which should ensure analogue support.

Is this something you're personally interested in, or will you be keeping your GamePad exclusively for its intended purpose — interacting with the Wii U itself?

[via gonintendo.com, gbatemp.net]

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

The question is though, can I access my PC from the bathroom with this?

Squashie

Squashie said:

I'll probably give it a go once, but I can't see myself using it practically. Much like when the ability came about to use the Wii Remote with the PC.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Can the PC stream video to the Gamepad? Otherwise, I might as well be using a Pro controller to navigate. Maybe a mouse driver could be tacked onto the analog sticks as well?

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

wow ive been thinking how great this would be the last few days ill defiantly be looking into this.

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

If it could actually stream my desktop to the screen I might use it, but without the screen in use it's just a comically large controller. I'll stick with my Classic Controller USB adapter for now.

Yoshis95

Yoshis95 said:

im not much of one for hombrew games but homebrew apps kick butt, this looks promising

Juampi

Juampi said:

The Pro Controller. Not the Gamepad.

By the way, it works wonderfully under Linux, too.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I'll probably use the GamePad with the Wii U exclusively still, but I have a few other controllers I operate my PC with.

SneakyStyle

SneakyStyle said:

I havn't tried it yet, but for those of you who missed it you can stream .mp4's to your WiiU browser prety easily, give it a google. I have my 2TB HD with a lot of movies on it streaming to my WiiU's browser 24/7, great for watching stuff with the family.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@Nintenzo We got the wrong end of the stick. The stick has now been used to beat the offending person (me) over the head.

Story updated!

GamecubeMan

GamecubeMan said:

The Pro Controller already caught my attention. It seems useful with all these new functions I keep hearing about. :O

Nintendaholic

Nintendaholic said:

@phoenixology it does work on mac. thats been out for a while. im really happy to hear this as i was just trying to figure out if i could do this literally two days ago

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

Meh. My Wii U's browser already is really fast, I don't need to control my PC with my GamePad.

Although, this has reminded me it may be a good idea to buy a Pro Controller.

MasterWario

MasterWario said:

This could be very beneficial to me since I don't want to go out and buy an Xbox controller to play Steam games. Once I get my hands on a pro-controller I should try this out.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

@dragon_rider In the literal sense Macs fall into that category, but modern usage of the word generally applies to a computer running Windows.

Although Macs can do that just fine as well.

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

oh man that sucks!! do you reckon someone will get round to makeing it possible with the pad?

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

Eventually we will get the full controller. The thing that has always bugged me about the wiimote on PC is that no one bothered to write proper drivers. You can use glovepie which is great if you need come custom setup but for just using my Tatsunoku stick or classic controller it's an extra few steps. It's much better on Mac or under Dolphin (which just detects it and works). The Pro controlelr is interesting because it is standalone and doesn't attach to a wiimote.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Not really interested in using this myself, but this would be nice for anyone who prefers the Wii U gamepad or classic controller over the Xbox or dualshock style ones.

TheRegginator

TheRegginator said:

I was hoping that would happen eventually. I currently have wired 360 controller that I use with my PC, but I would much prefer to use the pro controller.

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

Yes, a driver that lets the PC see a WiiU Pro controller as an Xbox 360 controller would be awesome!!

Also, I've used glovepie before, and it works quite well, but getting the controllers to pair can be a real pain.

Poketendo

Poketendo said:

I didn't bother doing it with the regular WiiMote and I'm not gonna bother doing it with the GamePad OR Pro Controller.

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

just think tho if we can stream the desktop to the touch screen and use the gamepad as a controller we could play pc games on the gamepad!!!!

Weebz

Weebz said:

@Strongo9
"I was hoping that would happen eventually. I currently have a wired 360 controller that I use with my PC, but I would much prefer to use the [Wii U] Pro controller."

***cough-cough***
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Weebz

Weebz said:

@Big_L91

"Just think tho if we can stream the desktop to the touch screen and use the gamepad as a controller we could play pc games on the gamepad!!!!"

If any group of custom controller adapter manufacturers could make that happen, it would probably be Mayflash. I mean, I'd like to see them try (though I'd imagine that bit about getting the PC video content cloned to the Gamepad's LCD would be the hardest part). Getting the Wii U Pro controller to work as a Direct Input usb Human Interface Device is cool enough, for now.

gralco

gralco said:

@Juampi can you please explain how you were able to use the controller in linux? I'd really like to do this.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I can't get the thing to work... I might just deal with the 360 Gamepad after I get one that's wired. I wanted to use the Pro Controller because I like the feel better, but a controller is a controller.

I can't stand the keyboard and mouse layout though. Too many buttons and every game I have (except older ones) tries to use the entire keyboard... I move with WASD, Game. Don't try to make me run by hitting L while looking with the Mouse.