Wind Waker Lookalike A Hat In Time Could Be Coming To The Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Should be an easy Cel

Indie title A Hat In Time could be coming to the Wii U, according to its developer Jonas Kærlev, also known as Mecha the Slag.

The game is a homage to the N64 adventures of old, such as Donkey Kong 64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day. It's currently slated for a release on PC and Mac, and is expected to provide around five hours of play. Given the short nature of the experience, we're guessing that if it is bound for Nintendo's new console, it will be headed for the Wii U eShop.

Speaking to Nintendo Everything, Kærlev said:

Without making any promises, I think it will be likely that the game ends up on the Wii U. I have been in touch with a publisher that is interested in putting it on that console, and I’d be more than interested in seeing that happen!

You can check out the game's cel-shaded visuals — which make it look a lot like The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker — by feasting your eyes on the video below. More videos are available here.

[via nintendoeverything.com, gonintendo.com]

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Hell Yeah!!
definetly approve of this!! 3D platformers are my fav genre, bring it on!!

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

A publisher interested on putting it on the Wii U, hmm?

Ugh, the only name that springs to my mind is nicalis. Someone, please tell me that there is someone else, so I can have at least a little hope of this making it to europe.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Super Mario Sunshine!! wa-Hooooo!

Sorry I forgot the name of the island.

Gilius

Gilius said:

Have to tell my friend to get this! This is real exciting to see. Though, I am looking at Wind Waker. I've been hearing rumors of its re-make HD release coming. But, Looking at this character, I have a feeling she'll be in the next Super Smash Bros.

edcomics

edcomics said:

Looks interesting. I agree the camera is nuts, and I hope that's only for demo purposes. There seem to be a lot of rough edges, but it's a good start.

Though it does resemble WindWaker in style, I wouldn't quite call that cel shading. It's an interesting style, though.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Looks like nice, simple fun :D Great music, love the art style & the ability to both swim & dive are awesome additions :D Too bad its so short but at least that means the price may be low & if its fun I can always just wonder around or play it again to add more game hours.

SuperconsoleAdmin

Superconsole said:

Not sure on the demo at all, but art style is cool enough. Hopefully the more we see more better it will get!

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

@Nano
Rumor? Nintendo announced Wind Waker HD, so I'd say it's not a rumor... :-)

@SilverLightning
Haha. Yeah, she does! She kept reminding me of someone, but I couldn't figure out who!

OT: I'm definitely intrigued by this short demo. The style has me interested. The art direction is cool. It has a comic book feeling with the way the text looks, but it's not over-the-top in that aspect like some games I've seen (though that's not necessarily a bad thing).

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

So much charm there, i think i'm in love. Gotta watch the other videos though since this one doesn't seem to show a lot of gameplay.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

This game looks fun. Calling it a Wind waker lookalike because it features cell-shading and a short protagonist is a bit of a stretch. The art style and design aren't like Wind waker at all. Love the dive jump! Looking forward to this game.

Syntax

Syntax said:

looks like a mix of wind waker and sunshine to me.
did anyone notice the river is running uphill?

pullemback

pullemback said:

PLEASE tell me I am not the only one who notices the paper mario music right at the beginning. It CAN'T be just me.

ChuJelly

ChuJelly said:

Okay.... what in the world!? They copied sounds from Nintendo games!
The first few second of music is Paper Mario: TTYD chapter start music, and the sounds that play when you advance dialogue (1:01) are the same sounds that play in Skyward Sword!

gsnap

gsnap said:

an N64 style platformer that looks like windwaker.......

This would have to be a pretty horrible, buggy, 1 out of 10 game for me to not absolutely love it.

skjia

skjia said:

@evildead97
I'm pretty sure they're playing on a pc with a mouse controlling the camera so I'm sure it wouldn't be like that on a console.

Looks cool though. I miss the 3D platformer genre. There have been very few of late.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Looks awesome! A pity that it is only 5 hours long!

Anyway, it does remind me more of Super Mario sunshine then Windwaker! I see some Windwaker in it, but it's not quite the same cel-shading style!

As for the "ripped off" sounds and music: Either it was the uploaders personal choice, or they are just place-holders! If you watch a few more videos, you'll notice more Nintendo music and sound-effects! This can never be the official soundtrack!

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

I don't like hearing that it'll only be about 5 hours. I can see a full fledged adventure in this charming little game.

JakobG

JakobG said:

I'm actually working on concept art and textures for this game, and there's definitely a lot of cool stuff in store. If you're interested in the game, I'd highly recommend supporting it on Steam Greenlight and checking out Mecha's YouTube channel for WIP videos.

Grodus

Grodus said:

Time for a new chapter in TTYD! No, Super Mario Sunshine time... I mean, Wind Wak... Um, something along those lines...

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

eugh I was interested until I heard Mecha was behind this game.

looks pretty and all, but I think I'm gonna pass.