Retro Classics Harvest Moon And Legend Of The River King Coming To 3DS Virtual Console

Posted by Damien McFerran

Farming and fishing

Nintendo has confirmed that two beloved Game Boy Color classics are heading to the 3DS Virtual Console.

Harvest Moon and The Legend of the River King — both from Natsume — will be available on the 3DS eShop in the near future.

Highly-regarded titles from yesteryear, the games focus on farming and fishing respectively, with a heavy does of RPG-style adventure thrown in for good measure.

Will you be picking either of these vintage gems up once they become available? As ever, you can let us know by leaving a comment.

Related Games

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Nintendo don't like giving us old handheld games. They think we want old NES games we already own on our Wii.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

I'm not really much of a fan of these two games like everyone else is. But to me, this is kind of like what Nintendo pulled with Sonic Blast and Sonic Labyrinth from the GAME GEAR. Promising them for Nintendo's 8-Bit Summer last year, then lying to ppl by not releasing them after including them in the ad. It's good to see some confirmation for Harvest Moon GBC and Legend Of The River King.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

The sad part is that he said they would release "in the coming months." It's two lousy games! Just plop them on the eShop and be done with it, fools!

SLiM

SLiM said:

I fondly remember punching snakes and bears in Legend of the River King.

antipop621

antipop621 said:

I recently played River King on DS. Such a cute and fun game, I'm probably gonna grab the classic one.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

Come on Nintendo, I have been saving for Harvest Moon since last year, release them already!

KoiTenchi

KoiTenchi said:

Could these actually be coming out today?

I've yet to see the eshop releases for today yet. It IS Thursday after all. : )

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I'll grab these, but I really hope they find a way to give us Harvest Moon 64. It's my favorite in the main series.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

I thought we already had Harvest Moon (GBC) in the eshop. I guess I was wrong.

bluecat

bluecat said:

I already have River King on my GBC but I'd snatch up Harvest Moon if they'd ever put it up on the eShop...

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Neat! Looking forward to it.

@TwilightV I read somewhere that they ran into...issues, and they won't be able to bring HM64 to VC. :( I'm hoping I have the wrong info, though...

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

So is River King like a Fishing RPG-lite? Or something? A neat little pick-up-and-play fishing sim could be a great classic download. (Game Boy) Color me interested.

TheIlluminat

TheIlluminat said:

Both! I like such games. They are the best way to make me happy when I am disappointed or angry.

RR529

RR529 said:

I'm not too interested in HM, but I'll probably download Legend of the River King.

russellohh

russellohh said:

@HeroOfCybertron Nope,completely different. One of the GB ones, possssibly this one but I'm not sure, you couldn't get married or go to town. Holidays and villagers came to your town, but there was no marriage. Still fun, and worth a download.

Dr-Rockzo

Dr-Rockzo said:

I still own a copy of Harvest Moon for the gameboy. I Believe im on year five or six. so many hours i spent on that game. Im definitely picking it up.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

@CanisWolfred - You are correct, Natsume has stated they had issues emulating Harvest Moon 64. But that was a couple of years ago, maybe the Wii U has better N64 emulators this time around?

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

YES, FINALLY. I've known about this for months and will definitely be picking up both (considering A New Beginning is my most-played game on my 3DS XL w/ over 300hrs). Now where's our Shantae????

-Crystalline-

-Crystalline- said:

I read "The Legend Of..." and got all excited D: When are the oracle games coming, Nintendo? God damn it.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

Forget emulation, what we need is a (good non-reimaginative) remake/HD port of 64.

For the 3DS, it would be like a dream come true.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

This is good new, but fortunately I still have most games in the series already. I've been wanting to try the River King games though so theres that.

Taya

Taya said:

We already knew this. Every week I hope they release one of them and then I'm disappointed when they don't. I guess this is just reminding us that it's still happening?

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Nope. Give me Kirby 2, Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Tilt 'n' Tumble, Mega Man II-V, Super Mario Deluxe and Shantae, Nintendo.

GloryQuestor

GloryQuestor said:

I'm definitely getting both of these. I played both of them on the original hardware, and still have a soft spot in my heart for both of these.

(btw, those who are dismissing The Legend of the River King would be remiss to do so. Fighting creatures to use them as bait for fishing is a fun twist and the fishing mechanic in the game never got boring.)

TourianTourist

TourianTourist said:

I had Harvest Moon on the GBC... and I wonder about the VC release. The original version had a weird sleep feature, where the game kept "running" even if the GameBoy is off or the gamepak is out. When you returned, you got certain stuff done. It would potentially kill your gamepak's battery, but it was required to get the upgrades for sickle and hoe. I guess this won't work on the 3DS, so will there be a way to get the upgraded tools from the dwarfs?

Fammy

Fammy said:

I'll be getting HM GB hands down, but I've always wanted to play a River King game, so I might be picking that up as well. I can't wait for these two... or are they already released?