No Off-Screen Play For Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate On Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

It's vital to maintain the two-screen experience, says Capcom

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate producer Ryozo Tsujimoto has revealed that the Wii U version of the game will not support off-TV play.

Speaking to Joystiq, Tsujimoto explained that the reasoning behind the move was to maintain the all-important two-screen experience:

We don't have that feature within Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate – really, the way that we approach making the title for the Wii U was that we wanted to make the Wii U GamePad subscreen a compliment to the main screen. So instead of making the screens replaceable or being able to switch them, we really wanted to make sure that players are utilizing both real estate of the screens, in conjunction with each other.

Were you hoping to do some off-TV monster slaying this March? Let us know if this will impact your purchasing choice by leaving a comment below.

[via joystiq.com]

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

I already heard about this a while ago, and it doesn't bother me. I haven't bought my WiiU for off screen play, since I have my own TV. It could be a let down for others tho.

seronja

seronja said:

i don't mind for not having the off screen play, i play my wii-u on tv ONLY!

luminalace

luminalace said:

If it's a game that really does need to two screens to be it's best then by all means, it should be that way.

AhabSpampurse

AhabSpampurse said:

It's not a deal breaker but it would have been nice. As a father of four you have no idea how much of a godsend off screen play is for me...

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

I always thought that off-screen play is a dangerous feature as making the game playable also on a single screen implements not making mechanics that work only with 2 screens.

Of course is great the feature is used when the gamepad is left with a little role during TV-playing, but glad to hear some developpers prefer to focus on having 2 screens instead than make sure the game can be played also on a single one :)

Then again... MH always been a single-screen serie, so now I'm so curious to know how much the 2 screens play influence the gameplay.

LexKitteh

LexKitteh said:

It makes sense, since theyre also trying to sell a handheld version, and emphasize being able to transfer data between them. Then people may not buy the 3DS version. Im getting both! :D

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

The off-tv feature is awesome, a lot of times I turn on the Wii U without even bother about the tv, and troll my wife who can keep on watching her stuff, that is MY ultimate feature and, to be honest, this hurts me a bit.

Haywired

Haywired said:

"We made it so that you can customize the Wii U GamePad screen to how you want to play, so actually if you don't want to put anything on that second screen, you don't have to". So, in that case...

Regardless, off-screen play is not really an issue for me as my console is in my room anyway. At least everyone will get the proper experience this time, rather than Classic Controller-less people having to endure the clunky Wii Remote scheme...

Araknie

Araknie said:

Since Monster Hunter is always been a single screen kinda thing, this could be an hint at how will work Monster Hunter 4.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

In a way, the 3DS version is what you'll need for "off-screen" play and you get dual screens to boot!

erv

erv said:

It's a missed opportunity.

Offscreen play for a game this time consuming would make it very living room friendly. And with the wiiU version the only one out there to actually allow online play, a 3ds is not an option.

Not to mention that black ops 2, for instance, is a lot of fun because it allows two players at the same time playing the game to go online. That's actually what I wanted to see.

I'm still buying it of course, and it'll be a lot of fun, but I do think it'd be better to have offscreen play implemented for this game.

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

Yeah, this is really old news. Over this already. It would have been a nice feature, but then again if you really need to play portable, just get the 3DS version.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

If you want to move it away from the Tv they've done that whole thing with the 3ds connectivity, it makes far more sense to utilise the second screen for something else.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Good choice imo. Having the option to play on the gamepad only means stripping the game of all gamepad features when playing off TV. If they are integrated into the core gameplay, you would basicly need to make two "versions" of the game, one with gamepad functions for TV mode and one without for off TV mode.

1ron_man

1ron_man said:

are you all delusional? the whole point of the WiiU is the gamepad function. This should be mandatory function of all games on the WiiU. . its not hard to make two modes. COD does and its a bigger game than MHU in content and size. Im huge fan of MHU but this is very dispointing. it wouldve made sense if the 3DS version can go online. in MH3 we didnt need a second screen and people did fine. dont get me wrong having second screen function is nice but it would be nicer if i can take the game to any room or if someone wants to watch TV. i can keep playing. I really hope they change their mind and allow it. its not wrong asking for full functionality of system i spend good money.

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

@1ron_man
No, Its not the whole point. Its one option, of many and not innovative at all. The whole point of the second screen is to add functionality.
I prefer to use the touch screen for quick access to my bag like when I need a dung bomb for the Rathalos chewing my stomach.

1ron_man

1ron_man said:

@Jellitoe
yes, its is. yes that funcationality is great and i would use it when I'm playing on the TV but having the option to take it off screen is one of the biggest sell for me to buy the WiiU and now the greatest game to come out doesnt utilize this function is dumb.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

No biggie, my 3ds will function as off-screen play, plus I play my games off tv like 20% of the time. Can't let that 47" hd go to waste.

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

I can agree with this. 2nd screen would be crucial fot inventory so to suddenly have it handled a different way would throw it all off.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

For those people who want off-screen play, buy the 3DS version along with the Wii U version. Cause your save file syncs up. Boom, problem solved.

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

I always hated the menu layout on Wii. This makes much more sense having space dedicated for all your gear etc.

1ron_man

1ron_man said:

@Five-seveN
i agree with you to certain degree and ZombiU is a perfect example so it makes sense not using off tv play but i would think MH would use this feature. For example, someone wanting to watch TV while your playing or you need to run to the bathroom. you can keep the action going. all im saying this can be feature for this game anyone thinks otherwise either never played the game or dont understand the full potential of the off tv play. Call me crazy but if the feature is there why not use it. to add this is high grinding game so it makes alot sense to have this feature. like i said before if they made the 3ds online too then i would say the off tv play is not needed...

to add, im getting both versions...im just excited that the game is coming to NA. although its dispointing i wouldve been nice feature to have

DreaddJester

DreaddJester said:

Personally I do think it's Capcom trying to make money. There's no real reason they couldn't have made slight modifications let you use off TV play on the Wii U. Just as there's no real reason they couldn't have added online play for the 3DS. I love Monster Hunter and I will be getting the 3DS version but in my mind shame on Capcom for trying to get people to buy 2 versions of the same game just to have the functionality it should have had in one.

Seems nearly every game company has annoying things it does to it's customers in the name of greed.

zionich

zionich said:

While this is a bit of a bummer, I'll have 3ds version also. So no big deal.

Kirin2013

Kirin2013 said:

I dont care I am in this for the HD on my big tv anyways, although i do think they were thinking the 3ds sales would decrease if they put this in so otherwords they were not thinking of us only sales.

Sun

Sun said:

@Kirin2013 I think they just wanted to optimized the home experience taking into account that there is portable version available at the same time. It makes sense to me.

1ron_man

1ron_man said:

@hairmanban19
your wrong, im referring to COD (BLOPS) have DLCs and milliion ways to customize your gun and settings. I'm talking to size of the game. MH in data is much smaller but in content there is alot. but if you really look at the MH the sub species are just different color and they only need to make few changes. this keeps MH size low. As far, COD you can add more data with DLCs so overall its larger data size game.