New Super Luigi U Confirmed as Future DLC for New Super Mario Bros. U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Will be a "large scale" download for the Wii U title

In both the North American and European Nintendo Direct broadcasts, Satoru Iwata appeared — wearing a snazzy green hat — to declare this the "Year of Luigi". After Mario has hogged the line-up in recent years, Luigi will have a starring role in some new titles, one of which will actually be an expansive DLC offering for New Super Mario Bros. U, titled New Super Luigi U.

The "Bros." is dropped as this will be an extensive set of 80 levels — alternate versions of those found in the main game — featuring the brother and offering "a whole new level of gameplay challenge". Notably this will be a single download — not broken up into small chunks of DLC — and Satoru Iwata didn't give a set date, only that it would arrive this year. It's not clear whether multiplayer is included, nor was any hint given at the potential price, but it was promised that it would be a substantial addition to the launch day platformer.

If you download it you'll apparently be able to freely jump between the Luigi and normal game stages. What do you think of this upcoming expansion via DLC, and what sort of pricing do you expect to be applied? Let us know in the comments below.

Related Games

Knux

Knux said:

Nice to see Luigi getting some more love. I still need to buy NSMBU and a Wii U first.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

This is a really nice idea. I wonder if we could get Peach DLC too.... :D

Void

Void said:

I'm happy about this.

While my wallet shivers in the corner.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Thats more like the DLC I like, unlike just small patches of levels/maps that rack up in price as you get more to get "everything" from the game.

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

Sounds great! :D
I still haven't beaten the main game, so I'll have plenty to do this year.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I don’t know if all of the DLC levels are going to be just remixes, though, because one showed Luigi in a completely different desert level with what appeared to be a massive dinosaur skeleton.

This was pretty surprising and certainly nothing like I thought NSMBU DLC would be. It’s actually a second Story Mode and might have an alternate plot as a result. That’s very neat.

Svengoolie

Svengoolie said:

Are you sure he meant that the levels themselves are different, or did he just mean that the game would play a lot differently because of how Luigi controls? Like in Mario Galaxy after collecting all the stars.

Xilef

Xilef said:

I was just expecting some more challenge levels or something, but this is awesome! Need to 100% the game before the DLC arives.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome! Hopefully it isn't too steep a price though... What being an entire game's worth of content, afterall. I did feel NSMBU felt kinda lacking in the length department & this will go a long way to fixing that. Awesome!

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

I suspect that we'll see some Dry Bowser action in this. He seems to have taken a role as Luigi's nemesis.

GamerFromJump

GamerFromJump said:

I hope he plays differently, rathe than being a Mario reskin.

I'd like to see the return of SMB2's divergent characters. That was fun.

rjejr

rjejr said:

This really got my attention today as it seemed so not like Nintendo and for the better.

I think the price will be dependent on whether this is simply DLC add-on extra levels within the game or more of a separate game. Probably $15 for levels but $30 if it plays more like a whole new game.

elekid

elekid said:

This sounds very interesting and substantial compared to a lot of other DLC.

I love the Year of Luigi idea

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

This will be my first ever dlc! I hope its Lost Levels hard. Yes you heard me!

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

At 80 levels I'd expect it to be half the price of the original game but $20 US would be a great price point.

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

This is the way DLC should be! Keep people from trading in a game they've long since beaten by giving em a large chunk of something new. Love it!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

If the DLC ain't free, it's not for me.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Now THIS is how I always wanted DLC for Mario to be. A lot of new content instead of just a small set of three stages. Love this idea and I'll definitely support it.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@stevenm Yep, in Europe too. I was watching the EU broadcast myself, and it seems that the Iwata/Luigi section was shown on both sides of the pond.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

It would of been cooler if they announced/release it next month to go with the whole month of St Patrick's day green theme ;)

Regardless I still got to beat my copy of the game. 3 months and I'm still at the 2nd world. Darn Tecmo Koei games been hogging my Wii U spotlight.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

@bluecat Me too!

Problem: I traded in my copy of NSMBU for a giftcard for RaymanLegends literally THE DAY BEFORE they announced its delay. Now I'm P!$$3D!

JettiBlue

JettiBlue said:

Hm, isnt that what Mario 3D Land had, just for free in the game? Alternate versions of levels with some new ones...

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

As no price was mentioned or even hinted at It could possibly be free. However given the scale of it, I'd expect around £15 to be charged for it, which is reasonable!

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Isn't anyone concerned for the lack of ''Bros.''? It sure sounds like this wont be playable with multiple players!

tddct89

tddct89 said:

@XCWarriorXCWarrior said:
"If the DLC ain't free, it's not for me."

If this is your view on DLC then I imagine you've missed out on a lot of great DLC in your lifetime because I've rarely gotten good free DLC.

"If it's truly 80 levels, then it's a full game. I can't see that being the case."

I don't understand how someone could watch the Nintendo Direct or read the news about it and still somehow not see that yes, it is 80 new and/or remixed levels just like they said. But oh well, if paid isn't for you that's your loss, I'll still be getting this. I actually said to someone today if they released part 2 with the same engine and just a new set of levels I'd run out and buy it. So this is great news for most people.

tddct89

tddct89 said:

@Moshugan not really, I'm not a fan of the multiplayer, its frustrating and all the fun is gone if you play with just one person that doesn't know how to play well. But if you like the multiplayer and it is removed from this DLC then I do feel your pain, it sucks being excluded or missing out on stuff like this.

Henmii

Henmii said:

It depends of the price! If it's 80 levels it never can be cheap, especially since we are talking about Nintendo! But if it's not to expensive, it might be fun!

PeachMelba

PeachMelba said:

I think it's great and exactly what I had hoped for - build on the engine, and add big chunks of content. I'm not a huge Luigi fan, but I hope it does well so we get a Peach pack!!!

Emaan

Emaan said:

This is the kind of DLC I like to see. Definitely will be getting this when it ever comes out. Love this idea of the year of Luigi :3

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I still don't think i can ever justify paying more than 20€ for a download.
If there's a multiplayer mode maybe Mario should not be a playable character. If there's none it will be interesting to see if the levels are more taylor-made to a single player experience.

Sun

Sun said:

Less than 10€ of course. The same levels with minor changes don't deserve any more.

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

I just wonder if the changes in the levels are relevant enough. I hope they are. This has huge potential if done right.

Xcape_DuCkMAN_X

Xcape_DuCkMAN_X said:

Mario and myself are older brothers to taller baby bris. Mine is starting a new life as a father/husband!!! And Nintendo just declared "Year of Luigi"!!! I love when gouger bros. get their time to shine!!!!!

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

@Peach64

Getting to play as peach would be the dream, but I'm not holding my breath for princess peach DLC. This game is being made by the same people that lazily gave us two Toads as playable characters twice for NSMB Wii and NSMB Wii U, also the same people that nerfed Luigi extra jump ability so he plays exactly like Mario. Having each Mario character having a different ability would seriously add replay value to the New Super Mario games.

I personally would not allow Masataka Takemoto to direct any more Mario games.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

Really excited for this!! Feels like its going to be kinda like "The Lost Levels" meaning its "super hard mode!" :D i kinda expect this to be no more than $50...

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

@Xilef Totally agree with u. Im in the same boat. i got to world 6/rock candy mines a few weeks ago. I gotta get the 100% before this DLC! Im liking this challenge!!

SMW

SMW said:

Now THIS is how DLC should be. Not one or three levels, but the ENTIRE game worth of new levels! I was skeptical about how they'd handle DLC for this game, but they are definitely delivering the goods!

Megajack

Megajack said:

I was thinking about getting Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed on COD:BO2 as my Wii U game for when I get it... but this DLC may have changed my mind to getting NSMBU.