New Competition To Celebrate Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan Demo Now Open

Posted by Andy Green

Heaps of goodies to win

There's not long to wait now until the sublime looking Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan is finally released for the 3DS in North America. The game will be available on 26th February in both physical and downloadable formats.

Speaking of downloadable formats, as we mentioned in our weekly downloads round-up, North American 3DS owners can now venture into the eShop and unearth a demo of the upcoming release. It's quite an expansive one too, allowing players to get a good feel for the opening gameplay areas. You get to play the introduction; the first mini dungeon, Old Forest Mine; the first skyship area, Windy Plains; and some of the first main dungeon in the game, the Lush Woodlands.

Possibly the most interesting thing about this demo is that all the progress you make can be transferred to the full game upon purchasing it. This means you won't have to go though all the early stages of the game all over again.

Atlus, the game's developer, is releasing a few QR codes into the wild for you to find that will allow you to get hold of rare in-game items. We'd tell you where they are going to be, but why spoil the fun in looking?

The developer is also holding a screenshot capture contest which players can enter for the chance to win one of three Ultimate Adventurer's Prize Packs.

To initiate the contest, players must download the Etrian Odyssey IV demo from the Nintendo eShop and access their Guild Cards. In case you're wondering, the Guild Card contains player details such as guild and skyship names, current party, game stats, and all the medals you've earned. To enter, you have to follow Atlus on Twitter and then tweet or retweet the message below along with a screenshot of your Guild Card.

The packs are certainly worth winning, each one contains a copy of Etrian Odyssey, Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Laagard and Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City, all for the Nintendo DS. On top of that there is even an exclusive QR Code for a rare item in Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan.

Those gamers who've thought ahead and pre-ordered a physical copy of the game will receive a limited edition art book and music CD - while stocks last. So many goodies.

We still have no word on a European release for Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan. For now North America will have all the fun.

What are your thoughts on this, North America? Surely this is worth downloading? Let us know how you get on with it in the comments section below.

TheXboxHero

TheXboxHero said:

No offense, but I did not really have any fun with this game. It seemed restricting for me, but please dont criticise me.

duskao

duskao said:

couldn't get into it. Of course i didn't play with sound, i'll prob give it another shot when i'm more in the mood.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

@ngamer155
No offense, but saying not to be criticise, makes me want to criticise you even more!But luckily for you this isn't my type of RPG, too colorful and happy looking.Main reason why I couldn't get into those Tales games.

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

Yeah, I can see where some would enjoy this type of gameplay, but it came of as near-archaic for me. I don't mind a lot of depth and management, but it's gotta be presented a little better than this game seems to do it. When it comes down to it, it really did just get very boring very quickly. But cheers to anyone who can get into it. I'm glad they're letting everyone try it out.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

I just played the demo and loved it. It was my first EO game, but I used to play old dungeon crawls like Eye of the Beholder on the PC and this is pretty similar. The music is one my favorite parts, so good.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Played the demo and it plays like orcs and elves (had the game but sold it) it was fun but I doubt that I would buy it, but if I some how won the contest then I own/play it.

MYNISTA

MYNISTA said:

Currently playing the demo. I feel like I'm trying to not like it...but it feels as if I'm being pulled in...I think I like it...almost...we will see...

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@ngamer155 Hm...now I'm even more confused. Movement I can get, because it's purposely restrictive (It makes it easier to draw maps. The entire point of the game would be lost without it). But attacks? How are the attacks any more restrictive than any other turn-based RPG?

1upsuper

1upsuper said:

Got it preordered. Absolutely cannot wait for this to come out. It's definitely one of the best (RPG) series still in production.

MYNISTA

MYNISTA said:

After putting more time into it...I really like this game a lot! Mon Hun 3 Ultimate is coming soon...I have a lot of gaming to do! Great game, glad I gave it a chance. I'm hooked.

Svengoolie

Svengoolie said:

Can someone explain how we would take this screenshot on the 3DS and then post it on twitter? I really want to enter but have no idea how to do that.

MYNISTA

MYNISTA said:

@Svengoolie it's done in the game after you get to a certain part. You will be able to save the Guild Card/QR code to your SD card.

ReaperX30

ReaperX30 said:

I own all three games on the DS. I still haven't finished any of them but these are awesome games. Got this one pre-ordered on Amazon.ca with all the goodies. I think I'll buy a nice bottle of wine to celebrate when I get the game. My 3DS was born for this game...ok maybe not but I was hoping for this since I bought it.

Spooky

Spooky said:

Can someone confirm for me... If Etrian Odyssey 2 and 3 are normal DS (not region locked DSi) carts? My girlfriend loves the first one and would love me forever if I imported 2 and 3 for her birthday

Spooky

Spooky said:

@WiiLovePeace You are the bringer of great news :) ...now I'll just be looking for a good importer as I'm not going down the eBay route...too many counterfeits on there for my liking

Spooky

Spooky said:

@MERG SOLD! and i'll probably sell on the original one to see a small return on some of the cost...One happy birthday girl soon :) thanks for the tip!

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

Downloaded the demo early early this morning(4:00am) and just completed most of it awhile ago(12:20pm). Yeah I spent that much time on it!! All I can say is this is a game for anyone who loves harvesting, huge dungeons/overworlds to explore, managing, allot of optional questing, planning, big stat trees, and of course Role Playing all IN ONE!!

Wow what a demo! I can only imagine how massive the game must be if the demo alone took me nearly 8 1/2 hours to explore the majority of it all!! This is definitely on my 'to buy' list right after I purchase Fire Emblem.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

I just downloaded the demo and will try it out later today. I may also try to hunt down some of the QR codes.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

I skipped out on earlier games in the series (sounded like a lot of micromanaging, even for a JRPG), but the demo has me intrigued. Outmaneuvering FOEs adds some tension to the dungeon-crawling that's missing from a lot of similar games.

Windy

Windy said:

@ngamer155 I totally understand your frustration. I had some fun with the demo. but it does feel restrictive in the way you move about. almost a claustrophobic feel. it looks great but I may cancel my pre-order on this and get Fire Emblem. I havent decided yet

Windy

Windy said:

@CanisWolfred Well your right. But I think my gaming tastes are changing as I get older. I've been playing alot of Ragnarok DS lately and just enjoying the heck out of that. It feels more open world and I guess for myself thats what im looking for. The Etrian Odyssey Demo looks great. A majority of people who play the game are going to love it