Local Multiplayer Confirmed For Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

Posted by Andy Green

There'll also be some downloadable dungeons

The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series is venturing onto the 3DS in March with Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. Nintendo has announced some interesting news about the upcoming release, including the fact that for the first time ever, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon will have a multiplayer mode.

Naturally there's still single-player dungeon exploration found in the game called Hero Mode, but we now know it will also feature local multiplayer for up to four players in Companion Mode. It's all about being cooperative with each other as you work together with your Poképals, exploring and progressing through expansive dungeons. Interestingly the experience you gain and items that you find in Companion Mode transfer over to Hero Mode, which should prove quite handy.

This iteration of the series will also be the first to receive the DLC treatment, with extra dungeons being offered on the day of launch. There will be four Mystery Dungeons available to download on launch day from the 3DS eShop, one of which will be available for free for a limited time - up until 30th April. The new dungeons offer new items to find and some new Pokémon to hang out with. Nintendo has said there will be more content coming through on a regular basis.

StreetPass isn't being neglected either, as players will be able to use the feature to help out other adventurers by tagging them and reviving their fallen 'mon using Reviver Seeds - a neat little addition should you meet any dungeon explorers on your travels.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity launches on 24th March. Will you be catching yourself a copy? Check out the trailer below and let us know what you think to it in the comments section.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Local Multiplayer is fantastic, but well know what people really want is online multiplayer. Of course I'm getting Gates to Infinity, I've played all the previous Pokemon Mystery Dungeons because it's a Pokemon game with a good story, even if the game mechanics are hit and miss.

Void

Void said:

I haven't played a Mystery Dungeon game before, but I think I'll try this one out.

gekslupis

gekslupis said:

I was curious if dlc was going to be a preorder bonus at some places and now my question is answered.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

"Confirmed for"? The game has been out in Japan since November. Its features weren't in question :P

ueI

ueI said:

The streetpass doesn't sound like it will be very useful.

Silvervisiona

Silvervisiona said:

Day 1 DLC comes courtesy of the already released Japanese content which means they are already (for the most part) developed. So, it makes sense that they should be readily available day 1. The initial pack being free is at least a nice gesture.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@Geonjaha It's free for a limited time. A preorder bonus really, and it launched in Japan WITHOUT the DLC as far as I know, so it's only day one here because all they had to do was translate it.

Windy

Windy said:

Local wifi is so useful. I guess Nintendo or other developers just cant do a decent online Co-op

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

Finally some good news because I'm a big fan of the Mystery Dungeon series. Sucks to hear that it'll only be local multiplayer though, an online option would have made it taste even sweeter.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I hate DLC. You know what I had more than DLC? Day 1 DLC.

Boo-urns Nintendo. Boo-urns.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

Definitely getting this! It's nice about the DLC stuff. It reminds me of when Dead Or Alive Dimensions came out for the 3DS.... For a year, there was DLC costumes for all the fighters [Some more than others] in DOAD. Good deal indeed.

doctor_doak

doctor_doak said:

Day 1 dlc is hideous. Look, If it's available DAY 1, then its content that should be included in the game itself. DLC is supposed to be content created AFTER launch.

GOUGEGOUGEGOUGEGOUGEGOUGEGOUGEGOUGE!!!!

ALWAYS GO FOR THE EYES!!! :)

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

I wonder if the storyline will have as much intrigue as the previous installments (minus the WiiWare one). Explorers of Time and Darkness caught me a little off guard with how dark it got at a couple of points. Excited for StreetPass and SpotPass features! :)

Kohaku

Kohaku said:

A release date for Europe would be nice. But when it comes after april there will be more delay because I don't think they release this together with Animal Crossing.

Sylvester

Sylvester said:

Free dungeons to April 30th huh. But how will it be in Europe and the UK when the game will be released at may 17th? I like to play more dungeons and buy extra dungeons for free would be very awesome. So how about that?