Konami Explains Why Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate Is A 3DS Exclusive

Posted by Andy Green

The 3D effect was the clincher

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate is now about a month away from hitting the shelves, and will be available exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS.

The game's producer Dave Cox has been speaking about why the game is only on Nintendo's handheld and not on Sony's portable offering, the PlayStation Vita. In an interview with Pocket Gamer, Cox said Konami did "seriously consider" making the game for the Vita as well, confirming that the handheld could have run the game without a hitch.

However, the 3DS offered the development team something the Vita couldn't:

When we saw the game on 3DS and how it looked with the 3D, it made us realise we could never replicate that on another system. We have carefully considered every angle, every shot, every vista to totally show off the 3D effect,

I'm not knocking the Vita, but if we were to develop a game on that console, we would really focus on the Vita's core strengths. The Vita game would be very different from a version for 3DS.

Cox, who has been exhausting himself with interviews recently, has already said that Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate could definitely be made into a HD version, as Konami and MercurySteam already have HD-ready assets at their disposal.

The game is tied down in an exclusivity deal with Nintendo, so if it did whip over to the home console arena the Wii U would be its likely destination.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you say Konami was correct to dismiss making the game for the Vita as well? Let us know in the comments below.

[via pocketgamer.co.uk]

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

Im gettin this, just wondering how the 3d effect is gonna look because this a 2.5D game

Marco_Rossi

Marco_Rossi said:

@xkaj0x I do! Kudos to Dave Cox for offering up this lame excuse. Though since Konami have already published PS Vita titles, I suspect he fears the their backlash, if he were to state the grim truth that the PS Vita is dead in the water.
The Vita is a fantastic piece of hardware. Beautifully made, and sporting the kind of power that I always dreamed a handheld would. Ultimately though, it is the software that makes a system. Which is why my Vita is gathering dust, whilst my lovely Pikachu 3ds I cant put down......well except for when i'm playing my wii U

Blaze

Blaze said:

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE 3D EFFECT PEOPLES! ITS NOT AS IF KONAMI ARE SELLING IT ON THE 3DS BECAUSE IT'S SOLD MORE THAN THE VITA OR ANYTHING /sarcasm

Seriously, what a lame excuse.

Oregano

Oregano said:

Except we already know the game is being ported to PS3/360/PC/WiiU so.... not really exclusive is it?

belmont

belmont said:

@Blaze I agree with you.

However after RE Revelations did not sell well on 3DS and is ported on HD consoles it crosses your mind that it would have found a more core audience on Vita. Most RE fans are on Playstation anyway. The same for MoF, it targets fan of LoS who are likely to own a Vita more than fans of metroidvania games that are likely to own a 3DS. So a release of both games to both handhelds would make more sense.

Anyway as a Castlevania fan I would prefer MoF on HD consoles or Vita. This is the only game that is not Japan only that I look forward to buy on 3DS but since it may come on PS3 I may end up not buying it.

TheXboxHero

TheXboxHero said:

Also, despite the cool game, I'm not sure if I could get it because I can only play Everyone through Teen games. :I

Inev

Inev said:

I keep going back and forth on whether I want this game or not; before the released date was pushed back to 2013, I was really excited, but now I'm definitely waiting for the demo/reviews. IGN has put up quite a few gameplay videos this week, and while the combat seems entertaining, the character models and animation leaves a lot to be desired.

It is a little strange that Nintendo was ignored for LoS 1 and 2, but then given exclusivity for this companion game. It makes sense that they didn't put this on the Vita, though; aside from the obvious factor of the laughably low install base, there would be no use for the second control stick.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

"The game is tied down in an exclusivity deal with Nintendo..."

So, what about Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge? I'm curious as to why those guys are releasing it on other systems, when it was freaking published by NIntendo on the Wii U.

Ryno

Ryno said:

^ Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge was published in the west by Nintendo. The announcement so far is Japan only for PS360

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

I really want to know what Nintendo did behind the scenes to get publishers to commit to them for big titles and exclusivity before it was even clear the 3DS was going to be such a hit. While they decided to play a wait and see approach with the Vita. Nintendo was certainly doing something right in negotiations.

belmont

belmont said:

@Ryno_Choryzo Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (PS3 & Xbox 360) will be released on 5th April 2013 across Europe.

This was a tweet earlier today from Tecmo Koei Europe.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

That is surprising news to me. Lately all I been hearing is either this game is going to be ported to ps3/vita/360 with improved features or we're not going to also release it on the wiiu/3ds because of its unque features. At least this stay with nintendo.....for now.

treeofmana

treeofmana said:

Am I missing something or would an HD release be missing 3-D? Or, I suppose it could be 3-D with glasses, right?

ilovegaming

ilovegaming said:

So the 3D was what stopped them from making a Vita version but an HD version is definitely possible? I like how the game looks, I'll probably end up getting it later and I understand that they want to be in good terms with everyone, but at least don't contradict yourselves so clearly if you want to make an excuse...

DaveC

DaveC said:

@X-Factor "just wondering how the 3d effect is gonna look because this a 2.5D game"

I would imagine the 3D will be great. Ever see Cave Story? that is 2.5D and the depth on that is fantastic. In fact these 3D side scrollers tend to really show off the 3D effect very well because of the layers of depth and the parallax effect. I would have liked a scales down version of Trine for the 3DS, that would look great as well even though it would have to have some things simplified.

TechnoEA

TechnoEA said:

I own a Vita and 3DS, so I get the best of both worlds.

This game does look interesting however.

I'm also glad for the excuse they gave, rather than just admitting they don't want to have to redo the entire game to take advantage of the Vita's system designs.

luminalace

luminalace said:

What crap...Konami always have excuses about why a game doesn't come to a particular platform..as always it's about money.

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

i don't know why people are refusing too see that this game is going to be a repetitive hack and slash that looks to have framerate issues or floaty physics. i'm guessing it will review around a mid to low 7. castlevania didn't need a reboot. castlevania didn't need quicktime events.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

So the translation really is: "the Vita hasn't sold enough yet to make it worth releasing the game on".

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

It doesn't matter what you say; if there's one thing I'll never believe coming from a publisher's mouth, it's exclusivity.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Looking forward to this game more now, it seems the developers have taken some scare with it. Hope the reviews are promising. I'll still get it as it does look quite promising now

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

Ever since CapCom's "Exclusive" 6 GameCube, I have never believed in the word Exclusive.
At least as far as Video Games go.