Fan Feedback Prompted Capcom's Resident Evil: Revelations HD Development

Posted by Andy Green

Giving the fans what they want

Resident Evil: Revelations has been out on 3DS for just over a year, and soon we'll be able to play it in full HD as the game is now in development for Wii U, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Many people have wondered why Capcom made the decision to make the switch to home consoles, and whether or not this was all part of the master plan to begin with.

Tsukasa Takenaka, producer of the HD versions of Resident Evil: Revelations, recently told Joystiq at a Capcom event that there was never any plan to bring the game to the home console market; the team was too focused on the 3DS at the time, with Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D also being developed.

When we worked on the 3DS version, we were completely targeting the 3DS. We didn't start in HD, scale down, and now we're scaling up – we worked to the exact 3DS specs,

At the time there was no plan for consoles – the console version was only decided after the 3DS launch and after we received fan and critic feedback on the game.

Takenaka said once the 3DS game was out, Capcom received fan feedback from those who wanted to play the game in HD and those who couldn't play it due to their lack of 3DS ownership. Capcom had a look at the feedback, crunched some numbers and decided to release a HD multiplatform version of the game.

The project was not a simple port, however, as the developers had to completely re-work the character models and add more effects that home consoles can handle, such as lighting filters. Takenaka believes that because Resident Evil: Revelations HD has been built largely from scratch, it will be viewed as "a whole new version".

Capcom has had little to say about the sales performance of Resident Evil: Revelations on the 3DS, but Takenaka refuted claims the publisher was attempting to make up for any perceived disappointment.

We find that the reception from fans and critics was very positive and we were very happy with the sales given the 3DS market at the time of its release. It isn't anything to do with us trying to salvage any kind of lost opportunity; quite the contrary.

Resident Evil: Revelations HD is scheduled for release in May. The Wii U version can be played on the GamePad alone, for those who still want a bit of portability.

[via joystiq.com]

Related Games

AceTrainerBean

AceTrainerBean said:

I loved it on the 3DS and played it multiple times and completed hell more I think ill get it for wii u even though a part of me wishes it stayed a 3DS exclusive

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Still need to get the 3DS version, any other versions are still under consideration, but for me right now: 3DS version is a must get!

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

Interesting that they rollover for fans when it comes to resident evil but will give them the finger in regards to mega man.

DePapier

DePapier said:

I'm not a fan, but if you listen to them you might as well bring those Wiimote controls!!

Shrapmo

Shrapmo said:

Good game, I will buy it again for the Wii U just so I can ogle Jill's bum in HD. Sigh I'm a pervert.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

My answer would of been "Then buy a 3DS if you would like to play it."

Ryno

Ryno said:

Wish there would have been more fan feedback for pointer control support.

Exile20

Exile20 said:

Sorry but I don't think they should have ported it to the other consoles. It should have stayed an exclusive.

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

@Exile20

Stuff goes where it makes money. Exclusives need to go away. We're all gamers not spoilt kids. Why can't everyone enjoy it?

PK_Wonder

PK_Wonder said:

Has Capcom revealed the details of Co-op Raid Mode for this? For me, that was the real highlight on 3DS.

kentray1985

kentray1985 said:

I know alot of people who wanted to play Resident evil revelations and couldn't because they didn't have a 3ds so them bringing it to home consoles reworked in hd and added content is fantastic news and is the smartest move capcom has made in a long time and everyone should support it especially if they don't want to see more action RE games (RE6) lol!!!

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

@NImH

Better graphics, sound, controls, possibility of voice chat and more content. No, I can totally see your point.

NiBar

NiBar said:

Wiimote support please , Wiimote support please , Wiimote support please. Give us Wiimote fans what we want and we will buy your game. It is that simply..

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

That is bogus to me, and double bogus seeing from where it is coming from. So now Capcom listens to fan feedback? They are soo good, thinking of those millions of dollars, er, gamers who could not play the game.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Interesting to hear they had to completly remade almost everything,
Sounds a bit like the remake of Wind Waker, an HD version that is more than just "rescale and resell".

Neram

Neram said:

Nah I'm not going to get this, I already own the game, there was no lack of 3DS ownership going on here. The whole "we did it for the fans" excuse seems to be very common lately. If your fans cared enough to play your game, they would have bought a 3DS, just like they had to buy other platforms to play your other games.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

I know I'll still end up buying this regardless if the wii remote isn't supported because it is after all Resident Evil. But damn....this is going to feel like such a huge step back compared to RE4: Wii Edition.

Curious about what Capcom is going to do with the GamePad's screen and gyro controls. Item Inventory and Map are going to be no brainers. but i'd like to use it for the Genesis Scanner, Gyro/pointer/screen controls for the Sniper gun(ala' ZombiU) and maybe shaking it to fend of enemies? :p

Ryon

Ryon said:

I think the entire thing is Bogus, Capcom is a company you just can not trust, no matter the franchise.

I own the 3DS version, I LOVED it. Seeing it in HD will be nice, But I really do NOT want to shell out more cash to the same company that breaks its promises. To a game I already beat. I dont play online so I'm not losing anything.

HiroshiYamauchi

HiroshiYamauchi said:

Try again Capcom. They're just releasing this game again because THEY KNOW that they've made the only decent Resident Evil game in almost a decade for a console that has games with cheaper retail prices and a smaller installed base than most home consoles, that's why they wanna expand the platforms for this game, just like they did with Resident Evil 4.

MadJay1664

MadJay1664 said:

Would be good if they did what monster hunter did and let you transfer your save data to your 3ds so you can carry on while you're out.

Setrodox

Setrodox said:

I was going to pick this up on the 3DS, but then I played the demo and realized that RE really needs to be on a big screen. I'll keep an eye out on this new release.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

@Neram
I agree, if I wanted a game that badly then I'd buy the system it was on (I bought a PS3 pretty much just for DCU Online).

Funny how they'll 'give the fans what they want' when it's 360/PS3 owners, but always used to ignore the seemingly more vocal Wii owners when they wanted games.

I doubt I'll buy Revelations on console as I already have it for the 3DS, but I'll certainly recommend it to all my non 3DS owning friends as it is a great game and one of the best in the series for a long time.

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

IF..... i des=cide to get this, it will ONLY be the WiiU version.
I'm nearing the end of RAID mode, finllay.
Though before I actually move on to the next stage, I make sure I get the Trinity Bonus and an "S" score.

I also, have never played it online or co-op

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

because resident evil 6 was $h*t

you handed over the duties to a smaller dev to make a 3ds game and was expecting it to be an average game for a nintendo handheld.

and then when your big dev, big budget resident evil 6 turned out to be a pile of poop and your LOYAL fans were not satisfied, and the dinky little RE: revelations turned out to be the best resi game scince RE4, y'all couldn't believe it.

So you $h*t yourselves and decided to bring revelations to the HD consoles in the hope that you will win back your fans.

and It will probably work because revelations is awesome

ChibiJib

ChibiJib said:

A couple people ask for a HD version of a 3DS game, on completely different consoles which needs higher resolution assets and will have less owners (compared to the potential 3DS owners)? Capcom accepts.

More than 100,000 people ask to continue the development of a 3DS game in which they already have the assets and code for, SPECIALIZED for the 3DS and fans willing to help with the development? Capcom declines.

Seriously Capcom, WTF?!

Sun

Sun said:

NL: Are you looking forward to the HD version of Resident Evil: Revelations, or do you think it's more suited to the 3DS? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

A horror game is always more suitable for home consoles, that's why I'm going to buy REvelations a second time.

EdwardCORE

EdwardCORE said:

I think this is a great thing to see games like this coming to home consoles and it proves how well done the 3DS was to generate this much interest for a portable game. This game is technically flawless and deserves to be part of the "main" series, not a spin off. Capcom did well treating this like it should and if they have used the same recipe in RE6, the game could have done a lot better. Playing Revelations was like playing a true sequel to RE2, and people saying throughout the game "it's Racoon City all over again!" only added to that feeling. Hats off to Capcom for realizing the importance of this game and for taking it seriously with the 3DS. And the version I'll get will be the Wii U's version, so I can replicate the experience I had on the 3DS with a second interactive screen.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Fan Feedback Prompted Capcom's Resident Evil: Revelations HD Development"

Or in other words, this is what the Resi fans said: "We want it but we don't want to buy a 3DS for it! Bring it to the PS3/Xbox360!"

A pity: Of course it should have sold on the 3DS, but it didn't!

And seeing that many Resi fans where dissapointed with Resi 6, they do want Revelations now! But not on the 3DS!