Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D Swinging Onto 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It's a 3D Wii-make

Today's Nintendo Direct broadcasts in both Europe and North America saved a big surprise for last, with confirmation that Wii title Donkey Kong Country Returns is on its way to 3DS, not surprisingly titled Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. It's a remake, so we don't anticipate much if any new content — though there's always a chance — but for his part Nintendo of Europe boss Satoru Shibata said that the 3D "needs to be seen to be believed".

Nintendo is releasing a special video on the 3DS eShop to show off the effect, and this is exciting news for those that loved the original — we certainly did, awarding a perfect 10 in our Donkey Kong Country Returns review. Retro studios did an outstanding job bringing the series back to life, and with all of the perspective shifts and layered platforming it seems like a perfect fit for the handheld. No release window was given, unfortunately.

It may not be a new game, but it's a remake of an exceptional platformer. Are you excited about this one?

Related Games

cbkummer

cbkummer said:

No shaking a Wii remote to roll? Yes, I think I will be picking this up. Remake or not DKCR is a fantastic game that never gets old

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Not really, no. I felt this game disgraced the franchise with its time trial BS...I'm not terribly interested in giving it another go.

Knux

Knux said:

I love this game, but I already own the Wii version and this looks like a straight port...so I'll probably pass.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

why isnt the eshop updating here in germany? i wanna see that 3D video !!!

Frozenx07

Frozenx07 said:

I played it at Best Buy a while back. I wasn't that impressed. I guess it'll be better to play on the 3DS. You wouldn't need to shake to roll....... hopefully.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

This is Awesome!! I've held off playing the Wii version cuz I didn't have a wii when it released and always wanted to play it. Now I can take it to go!! Nicely done.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Seems like an odd choice for a 3D remake. Yeah there were layers but it's still a 2D game, which kind of defeats the purpose of 3D. Plus, I think it was a little more difficult than a lot of kid 3DS owners are going to like. It'ld be better if they remade Yoshi's Story in 3D if they want to remake 2D platformers. A 10 year old game needs a remake more than a 2 year old game.

Pass.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Shoot. I would've been excited about this news, but just got the Wii game yesterday. Very unlikely I'll double dip... but cool news for anyone who hasn't already played the Wii version or loved it enough to re-buy.

@rjejr
I think that 2D games that make use of layered 3D graphics look gorgeous. Often better than "real" 3D games like first- or third-person shooters. While this might not add to the actual gameplay, I bet seeing it in action will be a fun treat.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

I'll give Nintendo credit for trying to see what kind of reaction that they can try and get out of gamers by releasing a game like Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. But like I said before on the NOA Nintendo Direct page earlier this morning. I would have been more happier with like say a surprise announcement of like a Donkey Kong 64 3D in the works. Now that would have been awesome. All in all, I really can't see myself getting excited for a game I already played.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

well i'm excited....i never played the original and i'm more of a handheld player anyways so I will be definitely getting this game.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Meh.
It's a great game, but I've already played it, so gotta pass on this one.

CapnPancakes

CapnPancakes said:

This is in my top 5 games of all time so i'll definitely be picking it up. Kinda disappointed that it's not a brand new game, but i'll enjoy it nonetheless.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

As soon as I saw Reggie hint at a Donkey Kong Country 3DS, I instantly thought of “Donkey Kong Land Returns”, but I’m fine with a 3D remake. I always wondered what Donkey Kong Country Returns would look like in 3D, and seeing a 3D screenshot of the game on the 3DS a couple of years ago was impressive. It’s nice to see Nintendo reading my mind again.

Now I’m going to be imagining what the game’s action-packed scenes are going to look like in 3D, such as Sunset Shore, the giant octopus level, destroying a ship, flying a rocket barrel through a mole-infested cave, running away from spiders, and much more. Having all of that portable is more icing on the cake, and it’ll be interesting to see what they will do with changing the controls for rolling and blowing. However, I do hope they add something different to the game so it won’t be like a straight port with just a 3D makeover.

jordanmarsden

jordanmarsden said:

Best news to come out of today's Nintendo Direct.

I sold my Wii a while ago so never got around to playing the Wii version, so I will definitely be picking this one up.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I never played the original, so if this version is as good or better, I might give it a go.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@Stuffgamer1 The time trial "BS" were optional extras when the game was finished if you wanted to go for 100% and were hard but fun challenges. How you can fault the game for that is, frankly, "BS."

I'm a huge DKC fan, the second game on the SNES is as good as any 2D Mario and Sonic (bar Super Mario World, obviously) and after initially being unsure on DKCR it grew to become my favourite in the series. It's a superb game. Hopefully if it does well on 3DS it will lead to a much deserved sequel.

idork99

idork99 said:

Never played it on the Wii but I recently saw video footage of the game and thought to myself,"what stunning visuals! Imagine how they would look like in 3D?" So it was a little déjà vu when I saw this announcement. Definitely excited and will definitely pick this up once it's released.

justinj42

justinj42 said:

Is this Retro's big game that they said "everyone wants us to work on"? A freaking remake?!!!!

Garo

Garo said:

Best 2d platformer of all time on a handheld and without unnecessary motion controls? Count me in. I hope we see some new stuff too, maybe a couple of extra levels.

Sun

Sun said:

It's a good game but it was overrated by some websites like NL. It is just not as good as the original trilogy. If you missed it on Wii it's a good chance to have it on a portable system though.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

New Games please...

Remakes and ports fill the gaps while we're waiting for those new games to be developed. I want a Donkey Kong Land Returns sequel on 3DS.

MasterWario

MasterWario said:

It's too bad I've beaten the Wii version like three times already; a portable version would otherwise sound great.
@Sun I disagree; DKCR was absolutely fantastic imo, and the original trilogy has such a different feel. I personally wouldn't compare the two. But of course, that's just me.

AG_Awesome

AG_Awesome said:

Hated the Wii one ONLY because of controls so if this fixes it with button presses it'll be a day one purchase for me

A lot if Wii games should get this treatment!

allav866

allav866 said:

I didn't buy DKCR for the Wii, and wasn't too sure I'd be interested in playing a DKC game with unneccesary motion controls. I would've bought it instanly if it had Classic Controller support. Now that it's coming to the 3DS, I'm starting to get excited for it. the same amount of buttons as a SNES controller AND in 3D? Nintendo has to remove the Motion controls. I'm not gonna enjoy the 3D environments when i'm shaking the 3DS to slam the ground. The only thing I'm worried about is if any sacrifices will be made when porting the game, such as removing the multiplayer.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Odd. I was actually expecting a Donkey Kong Land 3D instead. Sure, it's only been 3 years since the Wii release, but I don't see a problem getting it for on the go.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Sun I disagree as well. It was better then the originals. A perfect 10 is exactly what it deserves! I'm game. I'll buy it again but I thought I heard then say summer.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

Great game but a remake of a game only a few years old is pushing it a bit...

Unless it's only $5/£5 of course!

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

Loved the Wii game, got all the secrets and achievements (and secret stages)... one of my top 3 platformers of all time. I'm a bit reserved about rebuying it on the 3DS, but I can't really complain much; I was ranting on the other day about how any form of DKC (I was talking NES/SNES) on the 3DS would make me happy, and I got "any form" of DKC; in my opinion the best one. ^_^

Emaan

Emaan said:

A remake for a basically 2 year old game? I wish we got a sequel instead. Not to mention I literally just beat the original a few days ago.

elekid

elekid said:

It's way too soon for a remake of this game, I got all excited because I thought it was going to be a new one :/

Nestalgic

Nestalgic said:

If you have to swipe to roll, I'm out. Why can't they just make use of the physical buttons for once?

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Well, I never played the Wii version, so I'll give it a go. I can see why others aren't really excited by this though. Something new would've been better. Luckily, it'll be new for me.

allav866

allav866 said:

i saw the downloadable video for this. it looks great, and from the look of it they got rid of the motion controls. On the very last scene, where Donkey Kong beats up a Tiki mask, instead of shaking the Wii Remote, you're told to mash the X button. The only thing that worries me is the trailer doesn't show the multiplayer, but I don't think Nintendo would abandon multiplayer just to make the Wii version unique in some way. They're probably working on multiplayer to be compatible for 3DS, since the you didn't need 2 Wii's for multiplayer like you would need 2 3DS systems.
More than likely, this will support multi-card Local Play, and cost $39.99, which puts it at a better value than the Wii version.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Bunch of whineys the lot of you. I will agree that it is rather dumb to make a straight port of a two year-old game instead of an original one though. But still, it'd be nice to play some DKCR on the go.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I generally had no interest in 2d platformers on home consoles, by and large they seemed like lazy choices, I know donky kong, kirby and Mario are all traditionally 2d games but it seemed like an unnecessary throwback to me. However I find these types of games work well on handhelds so I will be tempted if this isn't too pricey :)

allav866

allav866 said:

DK64 is partially owned by RareWare, although they do give us handheld games from time to time, and they remade Diddy Kong Racing on the DS. It sucked, but I commend them for trying. DK64 definitely could be possible if it were on the 3DS.
EDIT: Maybe not. I forgot that RareWare games stopped being fun.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

This is one of my favorite platforming games this gen! :D

I'm getting this day 1! Amazing title.

Kirk

Kirk said:

The graphics look really good in this 3DS version so if they simply map all of the silly waggle controls from the Wii version onto simple button presses then this could actually be a stunning platformer for the system.

The only real issue I had with the Wii version, and it kinda ruined the game for me, was the forced waggle control for certain actions where I just thought it felt clumsy and it wasn't responsive or precise enough for this type of platformer.

This game has the very real potential to deliver big time here so let's hope they nail it :)

enjoievan

enjoievan said:

this had better not be what retro has been working on. i'm not ready for that much disappointment.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Someone may have said this, but the waggle on the Wii version was down to a limited number of accessible buttons on the horizontal remote. The 3DS doesn't have that problem, so I'm sure rolling will be a simple button press ;)

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

I'm looking forward to this one. I HATED having to wiggle the wiimote around while playing this on the Wii, so I never bothered finishing it. I will likely buy this one.

I'm also pleased to see this is only a 3D upgrade, and not a brand new DK title. That means that Retro has the vast majority of its team working on a new game(s).....

Expa0

Expa0 said:

I didn't like the original at all, but even if I did, I'd still fail to see the point of this.

allav866

allav866 said:

@ThomasBW84 Looking at the trailer, it seems they did map the waggle controls to a button. It shows DK beating on a Tiki mask by mashing the X button! :)

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

While a brand-new game would've been cool, I'm pretty psyched to see how this looks and plays on 3DS. The original game was brilliant — those defending the SNES trilogy over this are flat crazed. (IMO.)

And nobody should be surprised at the remake. This is Nintendo's bread-and-butter strategy. Make awesome games. Sell same awesome games to new people on new platforms. More people play awesome games. Hopefully the high income margin on something like this can help fund new, riskier ideas.

Just be happy it's not Donkey Kong Barrel Blast 3D...

JettiBlue

JettiBlue said:

Hm, this probably means there wont be a original Donkey Kong game for the 3DS in a while... :-/

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

DKCR was an amazing game, especially multiplayer, but its fun enough on the Wii as it is. I see no reason for me to double dip, I hope anyone who didn't get it the first time does this time though, highly recommended, 10/10 is right!

Bucho

Bucho said:

i didn't get to play the wii version so i'm deffinitely excited for this one

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I'm getting it as I've sold my wii copy and really fancy playing it on the handheld. In fact, as long as they don't frak it up (unlikely), I'd prefer to play it on a handheld device

hydeks

hydeks said:

i was gonna buy a wii for this game alone, but now I might get the 3ds xl for this. Awesome move, Nintendo :)

ueI

ueI said:

Donkey Kong Country Returns is already playable on Wii and WiiU. I see little need to remake a practically current gen game.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

i think i was almost done the game, i better get back to it if im going to get this one too lol :P

Dunban

Dunban said:

haven`t played the wii version, so it`s got my attention. but, when it releases... why buying, when i can get nearly the game for my wii for about 1/3 of the price?

The3DSisMINE

The3DSisMINE said:

I'd get it. I played the original but passed on the remake since it was on the wii and I never got the wii. So ya I'd pick this up

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Damn, another insta-buy... I hope I can afford to buy all the new games being released in the near future.

SMW

SMW said:

I absolutely LOVE this game, but I cannot comprehend why porting THIS game to the 3DS makes any sense. DKC Returns was so pretty and having it on the 3DS is like a low-quality version of this beauty.

Either way, I am still slightly interested. I've rented this game multiple times and almost cleared it entirely, but the rolling drove me crazy. I managed to roll off the edge way too many times when attempting to blow real quick without stopping for too long. I'm glad I'll be able to get over this with the 3DS one.

I still think a DK64 port would have made much more sense. Licensing couldn't be all that difficult. Nintendo owns DK and the Kremlings. (Don't believe me? Kritters and K. Rool have been in multiple games sense the GCN. Barrel Blast, King of Swing, Mario Super Sluggers... etc) They would just need the OK from Rare for the actual game.

M0HAWKMonkey

M0HAWKMonkey said:

Instant-buy for me! Got the Wii version when it came out,loved it! I'm a Huuuuge Donkey Kong fan! :D Hopefully they add some extras or somethin'...

AceTrainerBean

AceTrainerBean said:

Looks awesome in the 3D video it had great depth! Never got to play the original so I can't wait to play this! And to that guy giving out about "another remake" a load of new games were announced so cheer up =L

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Always wanted the Wii version, never got a chance to pick it up. Looks like the perfect time to get in on it, too; the game looks like it was MADE for the 3DS!

I think this is also a good sign. Normally Nintendo is only into re-releasing a game like, a decade or more after its initial release. This game gives me a little hope for Twilight Princess HD (though not much, I must admit).

Doma

Doma said:

Great Nintendo. So, you expect me to re-buy an uglier version of a game barely 2 yrs old?... no. So damn lazy.

KingDunsparce

KingDunsparce said:

I'm currently playing the Wii one and its a great game, but it's way too soon for me to be buying a remake.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

Fortunately for me, I haven't played the Wii version. I guess they could have made a sequel though since it was on the Wii not long ago.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Nah, I am waiting for the sequel (or something else awesome from Retro)!

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

i'll get it if they don't charge full price for it... i'm not paying full price for a game i've already played just for some 3D effects. i loved it, but not enough to buy it again so soon.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

i feel like a game needs to go at least 6 or 7 years before it gets remade. it's been slightly over 2 years on this one, and i can still play the previous one on a current console (Wii U). If they had remade Donkey Kong 64, I'd definitely purchase it full price. But it's just too soon for DKCR, even though it was a great game.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It's kind of sad seeing so many gamers who missed out on playing Donkey Kong Country Returns. You all don't realize what you're missing!

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

I like the idea of this game being portable, and no waggle for rolling will be awesome, but I was really expecting a sequel or two for this series. So it's a shame that its not DKCR2, but I will probably pick it up. I had fun playing it at home, but having it anywhere will be good too. My 3DS is going to be a monster of a system for great gaming experiences.

treeofmana

treeofmana said:

It seems right in the tradition of Donkey Kong Land. It makes perfect sense to make a portable version of this game. I'd like to see what comes out of it but either way it's Donkey Kong on the 3DS!

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

If they are going to remake games for 3DS, why not a remake of Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, or other GCN games. When I first heard about the 3DS and it's power, I immediately thought of GCN games on the go, but alas....

DaveC

DaveC said:

@DarkCoolEdge

No, BRING ON THE REMAKES!
There are allot of GameCube games I would like to see remade in 3D such as Metroid series, Wave Race, F-zero, etc. Remakes allow games to be released with ease by 2nd parties while Nintendo works on the new stuff.

Not all of us played the Wii versions. I don't even own a Wii. For those of us it is new.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

• Downloaded the Video (Via E-shop)
  • Watched the Trailer 3-4 times
  • Goes to Japan for the release :D
DaveC

DaveC said:

I hope this game will be available in a physical version. I hate e-shop because you don't really own those games especially when your unit breaks. Is this e-shop only or will it be both?

Rod64

Rod64 said:

I love motion controls.
I REALLY do.
But DKCR is one of the few games that I remember that got KILLED by the controls.
I skipped the game because of it, so I'm really happy for this unexpected port.

Abcdude

Abcdude said:

Borrowed the wii version a few months ago. Loved it alot, will be buying this if $30.

Ducutzu

Ducutzu said:

I am extremely happy for this. It goes on my preorder list as soon as it becomes available.

AntiGuy

AntiGuy said:

I was getting really excited... until Reggie announced it's just a port........ after completing the game 100%, pushing my limits... I seriously cannot care less about this....... seriously, what a dissapointment....

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

That's disappointing. It would be a lot better if they remade Donkey Kong 64,and that also makes more sense. Unless they have another DKC on the works and are hoping to get some more fans,but I'm not hopeful on that one.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

Good. Im glad Im not the only who didnt like this announcement too much. Dont get me wrong. I loved DKC Returns!! The game is FREAKING AWESOME!!! Retro did an amazing job! But come on...The same game on the 3DS? Hmm....Thats kinda annoying. Why not give out DK 64 instead? That would have SO MUCH better as we r still wanting for a VC release of it. "Just saying..."

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

This game is a perfect fit for the Nintendo 3DS, with the games depth of the 2D levels would work great in 3D. Also this game is fantastic wouldn't mind owning it again for portable gaming. I really hope retro makes a sequel for the 3DS also in the near future.

Cirno

Cirno said:

This game is the sort that would seem to work well on a portable console.

Unless I change my mind, I will most likely get this.