Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger Arriving In North America This April

Posted by Andy Green

He's on a roll

Armadillo ranger Dillon made his 3DS eShop debut in 2012 with Dillon's Rolling Western, and it's been confirmed that he'll back for some more action this year.

During today's North American Nintendo Direct presentation, Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger was shown off. It appears to follow the same gameplay as its predecessor: it's a strategic action tower defence game that sees you deploying all sorts of weaponry around the map while rolling around to bring the pain to your foes directly.

There are a few noticeable differences though, the main one being the ability to recruit some buddies to aid Dillon in his defending. So far we know of Gallow, Bearboon and Nomad, who will be offering their services to our armadillo friend. Looks like he won't be a lone ranger after all.

Dillon will be rolling out the defences again on 11th April in North America. The game wasn't mentioned in the European Nintendo Direct, and there's no news on its release at this current time.

Are you looking forward to seeing this one pop into the 3DS eShop? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Love the first getting the second. This is a no brainer for me! Plenty of content and pure fun for me.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Oh looks like they're making a series out of it? Perhaps he'll become a recurring character in some of Nintendo's other games.

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

Still haven't finished the first. That game is more stressful than it is fun. I don't know if I'll ever beat it.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

Had a ton of fun with the first, and will definitely buy the second. Every time you hit a button at the right time when destroying a grock, you can't help but feel cool.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

As much as I liked the first game & loved the graphic's. I still never beat the first game nor ever got past the 3rd level in the game because was to hard. This is a pass for me as well. :$

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Void

Void said:

I quite liked the first one, I see myself buying this one as well.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

"The game wasn't mentioned in the European Nintendo Direct, and there's no news on its release at this current time."

Surprise surprise!

rayword45

rayword45 said:

I'll be damned if they don't add CPP support this time.

I liked the first, still haven't finished it though. Now I have to.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Already knew the name. If anyone else bothered to go far enough, it announced it in game in the original. :P
Also, I believe partners were mentioned as well. :3 So no real shock here.

C7_

C7_ said:

The first was alright but my main issue with it was that it felt kind of poorly designed with the levels and towers. That and the money wasn't well balanced unless you beat the level already.

I'll keep an eye on this, but if it's just more of the same I'll definitely pass.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Oh man, I have yet to fully play the original! Didn't have the time yet!

ChrisD

ChrisD said:

@Barbiegurl777

I actually got stuck in the exact same place. It went from Level 1 and 2 where I had the mentality of, "Pfft, I got this!" to, "WHY. STOP ATTACKING EVERYWHEREEE!" ;-;

This news just begs for me to go back though... I spent good money on it, so maybe it needs to be picked back up anyways.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

I was very impressed with the graphics of the first one, and the combat was simply phenominal. That being said, the game is incredibly tough. I still haven't finished it - I was only on level seven or something around there. It was too difficult and hectic to do everything at once. I can't protect all of my towers and the town while killing grocks and taking down those massive grock towers. Also, the time limit during the day can be frustrating if you didn't manage to acquire all possible resources in time. The idea that a TRAIN you have to protect is going to be thrown in the mix as well just frightens me. The addition of partners looks pretty neat though. I'll go back to the original and see if I can finish it before buying this one.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

So after Pushmo this also gets a sequel. I won't be surprised if Sakura Samurai gets a second game as well. Great to see Nintendo developing their newest IPs.

RR529

RR529 said:

I never got the first one because it wasn't lefty friendly, so I probably won't get this one either.

Hope you all enjoy it though.

McGruber

McGruber said:

I'm gonna have to finish the first, first. It got repetitive after a little while, but I definitely did like the game. It was one of the few original eShop games I have bought so far. I would like Nintendo to take more risks, though. And where is Miiverse for my 3DS?

Austroid

Austroid said:

I wanted to love the first game, it had a great art direction, an interesting mish-mash of gameplay genres; but it was so dang hard! I'm still stuck on the third day of level seven or eight, can't remember. I think they should drop the tower defense aspect, because it feels very tacked on. It should just be "roll around the level and smash baddies."

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

I really enjoyed what i played of the first one; as there's no news on a European release, i've still got plenty of time to try to make more progress.
I'm a lefty and had no problems with the controls, although i found it helped to use the stand supplied with KI: Uprising.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

A title like this would be great for multiplayer gaming. Maybe even on the Wii U. Perhaps using additional 3DS's.

Justaguest

Justaguest said:

Rolling western was really boring to me. I havent got past the second location. Not being hater just making this game sound less perfect. In fact it was really bad, I dont recommend it