Castlevania Is Stalking Onto The 3DS Virtual Console Soon

Posted by Damien McFerran

Just in time for Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate is due to hit 3DS consoles this March, but it won't be the only chance for fans to get their fill of Dracula-slaying action - the original NES classic has recently been given an ESRB rating for the Nintendo 3DS, which means a Virtual Console download is in the offing.

Released in Japan as Akumajō Dracula in 1986, Castlevania hit North America the following year and became an instant classic. Its spooky gothic atmosphere, stern difficultly level and excellent music established a lineage that remains strong to this very day. While the NES version has clearly aged, it's still a wonderfully playable game - as you can see from our positive review of the Wii Virtual Console edition.

Are you a fan of the very first Belmont adventure? Will you be picking this up to remind you of the good old days, or is the Castlevania series relatively new to you? Grab some garlic and venture off in the direction of the comment section to let us know.

[via gonintendo.com]

Jollykarp

Jollykarp said:

:( I was hoping for Belmont's Revenge on Gameboy. If Konami just releases the Castlevania Adventure and nothing more, I will be one sad camper.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Darned straight, Bass_X0. I've never come CLOSE to completing this game on NES. Still...I might rather hold off and hope it's also coming to Wii U sometime this year.

I like how there's at least SOME third parties still supporting VC...but I can't help but wish it wasn't limited to Konami and Capcom. Come on, Square, we miss you! :(

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

@Magikarp - Yeah, I wish for more GB and GBC games on the 3DS Virtual Console. Perhaps NES games sell better because of the color, even at a higher price?

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Probably right, Bass_X0. Black and white games are a harder sell without nostalgia as a driving factor. Personally, I've bought PLENTY of Gameboy VC games and want to buy more...but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people don't think it's worth the money. Sigh

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Holy crap. Are they just going to release nes games? So far the vc is not living up to the expectations.

Almost none gbc games, no gba at all, and nothing ofother consoles. I'm very disappointed.

hendie001

hendie001 said:

This game has been kicking my butt for more years than i would care to count, but i still love it. Except for the hallway before the grim reaper, that is just unfair.

MrArkade

MrArkade said:

Yay, another reason to get stressed out and set fire to my 3DS :D
Will be downloading.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@DarkCoolEdge: I don't mind NES games on the eShop, but you're right. They should be coming out with more handheld classic games. I'd really like to see more Game Gear games come out... specifically Sonic 2, The Lion King, and Aladdin...

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

Some GBA games on the 3DS eShop would be lovely... after all, they are both handhelds. GBA on the Wii U will be great, but I'd rather have them on the 3DS if only one... Let's do both though.

Collision_Cat

Collision_Cat said:

This game is so fantastic, it's so well designed and endlessly satisfying when you manage to beat levels! Do it properly guys, don't use save states! I'm able to beat this game on an actual NES and I suck at life so I'm sure you can do it too! However, having this game on a handheld console may not be the best idea... it's okay when you throw a controller out of frustration, but probably not your 3DS!

sonicriders

sonicriders said:

I'm new to Castlevania, and have recently gotten kind of into through the music from the games. I don't have any of the games yet, but I plan to start with Mirror of Fate, that is, if I can get past the M rating. :P The game was supposed to be rated Teen too.....oh well, the game looked awesome at E3! :)

idork99

idork99 said:

Instant purchase for me! I remember playing this for the first time in an arcade (vs Castlevania). This one is as much of a classic to me equivalent to Super Mario Bros on NES: another game I happened to play first at an arcade before the home console :p

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

I played through the GB version (using a fair few save states on the last level) on 3DS, which is a pretty poor game, but it gave me some closure as i'd played it back in the day on the Konami Collection on GBC and was never able to get very far into the last level. So i'm looking forward to playing this one on 3DS too. Nice tie-in with the new game as well, i'm looking forward to seeing the review for that too.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

I wanna see a MK SNES release that way ill have MKWii, MK7, MK GBA, & SNES.

(Still waiting for my super circuit)