3DS Remake Of Dragon Quest VII Sells 800,000 Copies In Just Four Days

Posted by Damien McFerran

3DS continues to dominate Japan

The Nintendo 3DS doesn't seem to be releasing its vice-like grip on the Japanese gaming public, with Square Enix's Dragon Quest VII proving to be the next in a long line of smash hit titles for the format in The Land of the Rising Sun.

Square Enix's remake of the PlayStation original launched in Japan on February 7th and has sold 827,922 copies in just four days - that's almost all of the one million units that were initially shipped to retailers by the publisher.

Are you looking forward to getting your hands on the game when it eventually launches in the West? Drop us a comment to let us know. In the meantime, check out the Japanese commercial for the game, which is live action and in Spanish (naturally!):

[via cubed3.com, siliconera.com]

Lan

Lan said:

Damn. That's a lot. But when you report sales figures why not post sales of other games for reference?

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Can't wait for this to eventually get released in the West, I've enjoyed all the Dragon Quest games that I've played so far :)

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I've only played DQ IX, and loved it. I'd almost certainly pick this up if it gets released in Europe. Have they announced XI yet? Wouldn't be surprised to see it end up as a 3DS game.

Is this selling faster than Animal Crossing?

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Sorry if I STILL seem overly negative, bit when was a Western release for this game announced? It wouldn't be the first DQ we missed out on over the last few years...Rocket Slime 3...the anniversary collection...sigh No news on X here yet either. :(

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

@Stuffgamer1 Well, we haven't miss any of the main entries since VII came out for the PS1 (even if it only came out on NA), including all the DS remakes. I think we'll see both DQX (at least for the Wii U) and DQVII in NA and Europe, but I have my doubts regarding the spin-offs (Rocket Slime 3 and DQM: TW3DS.)

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

Wait, they announced a Western release? This seems too good to be true... '-'

JoeysGirl

JoeysGirl said:

I created a strategy guide for that game and later sold the game for a pretty penny when I was short on cash. Now I can use that strategy guide to help me get through the game again since it's been 13 years since I played it! haha

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

@Peach64 I saw the full chart on IGN last night and yes, it outsold Animal Crossing last week. Of course, it still has a couple million more to go to catch AC for total sales. Nonetheless, amazing. The 3DS is a license to print yen.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Day 1 purchase. Unfortunately that day 1 purchase will probably be in about 2-3 years when they get around to releasing it here in the states.
And Nintendo wonders why its hardware sales stink in America...

Rapido

Rapido said:

I Wonder how the wolf boy character looks like in 3D. . LOL, cant wait to get my hands on this.

Kimiko

Kimiko said:

Why is the CM "naturally" in Spanish? Is that some kind of in-joke that I'm missing?

GloryQuestor

GloryQuestor said:

Since I like the original a lot and I'm a Dragon Quest fanboy, this one's a definite buy for me if it's NA bound. :)

Also, you could call DQ7 "the third Chrono game". Playing the original, I found many elements in it that reminded me a lot more of the Chrono series than what I've seen of the Dragon Quest series, which is probably why it's also considered the "black sheep" of the Dragon Quest line. Even so, it's a wonderful adventure that fans of Squeenix RPGs should definitely play at least once. ;-)

LordGeovanni

LordGeovanni said:

@GloryQuestor How is DQVII the "black sheep"? I never found it to be all that different from other DQs. Maybe with the main focus of how you get tot he new worlds, however I found that to be a quirk that was never used before and one that was done well...

Arfy

Arfy said:

@fchinaski We'll probably see Terry's Wonderland by the end of this year and VII next year, the last few Dragon Quest games to come over here have taken about a year to come to the West.