Wii U Virtual Console Games Support Wii Classic Controller And Pro Controller

Posted by Andy Green

Also supports the use of two GamePads

Details of the Wii U Virtual Console were finally announced during yesterday's Nintendo Direct, revealing that it will be up and running after a system update in Spring.

Games purchased from the Wii U Virtual Console will be playable on the GamePad and Pro Controller as well as the Wii Classic Controller. You can also play some of them using your trusty Wii Remote.

Apparently the Virtual Console supports not just one, but two GamePads, which is very interesting indeed. Of course you can't currently buy GamePads individually at the moment - could this mean Nintendo will have them available come Spring?

What are your thoughts on the ample ways available for you to play your Virtual Console games? Let us know in the comments below.

[via gonintendo.com, twitter.com, gonintendo.com, twitter.com]

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I wonder what gameplay with two gamepads would be like? I don't really see the point in using a 2nd gamepad for a classic game, unless they recode a classic multiplayer game to hide whatever the other player was doing on their screen or something.

I hope it isn't just reshowing on the screens whats on the TV since thats kinda pointless to add a 2nd gamepad into the mix in that case.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

6 Player Goldeneye on VC!

Come on Nintendo, let Bill Gates sleep with whoever he wants to, to make this happen.

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

People might want to play with their second Gamepad if they have one.
@NL: Are you going to report on the PAL nostalgia that is 50Hz?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@PALgamer but what's the point of using a 2nd gamepad when a classic controller/pro or pro controller is likely to be much cheaper & using a 2nd gamepad will most likely offer no extra functionality on classic NES or SNES games unless they're being recoded & put up for a higher price.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

@WiiLovePeace I think is great. You can play multiplayer off-tv. Maybe two can play split screen on the tv and the other two on the gamepads (Mario Kart, etc...).
If it is like this, it'll be a great addition.

Obywan

Obywan said:

Strange. The Balloon Fight manual on the US version clearly says that 2 GamePads aren't supported.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

Thought I'd point out that we will need a system update on order to have two GamePads working properly. I previously had two Wii U's (long story) and if you tried to sync up a second GamePad, it would disconnect the first.

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

I just say GBA Link enabled games will be playable on 2 Gamepads if they were Gameboys! That is all. And obvious.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@FiveDigitLP
There's some screen images emerged in the last 24 hours that show exactly that, if they're real. I forget where it was exactly but I think it was retweeted on the HitmanWiiU twitter feed.

meppi

meppi said:

Great news as I just got my second SNES classic controller from Club Nintendo in yesterday. :)

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

Great news all round. Second Gamepad support is a genious idea, I hope it allows both players to get a full screen each for off tv play. An example others have used is for Mario Kart 64. Either way, it is still good news.

Will-75

Will-75 said:

Awesome ! , We have two Wii U's in my household and fight over who gets to use the gamepad on some of the multiplayer titles we have it'll be great to be able to use two pads on one system if done right it could make way for some really cool options on two player titles .

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

This might mean that multiplayer for the classic games might be using the two GamePads. It'll be interesting seeing how they rework the games to let such a function happen. There's lots of good news going around.

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

Good news all around. System stability will be improved, two GamePad update will finally be patched in, and Wii U Virtual Console at last. I've been waiting for this. :)

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

2 GamePad support is a mistake and not true. The VC menu just gives you the option to switch between player 1 and 2. Just like on some 3DS VC games. Please check before posting. :) ;)

Kirk

Kirk said:

Well this is good news.

Keep doing it right, Nintendo, and you'll keep me happy.

Do it wrong and you'll make me unhappy.

It's that simple.

bonham2

bonham2 said:

@WiiLovePeace
Assuming they eventually decide to make games that require a 2nd gamepad, and people spend the money for the 2nd gamepad, they may want the option to use it for a 2nd player on VC games. I think Nintendo is just being proactive here instead of having to update all of these VC games in the future.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

@WiiLovePeace You could play two player games off screen. Imagine two players playing Contra, both on the Gamepad while watching their sport of choice on television. I think it sounds pretty cool, and kind of obvious to implement.

Kellx78

Kellx78 said:

I got my hands on a second ga
mepad thanks to a friend. Its amazing what those big franchise stores throw away.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

It was important that you can still use the Wiimote for NES games. So when that support's there it makes sense to support the Classic controllers too. :)

KAHN

KAHN said:

if i buy something on my Wii VC and transfer it to the wiiU menu, can i play it on the wiiU gamepad?

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@Hokori
No, you will have to repurchase VC titles (at a reduced price if you already own them) you cannot transfer Wii VC titles to the Wii U menu and that will not change.

ljinkakidd

ljinkakidd said:

I hope that they introduce Gamecube and Dreamcast titles soon. This will increase the VC install base for sure. Since you can play SNES and NES games on the pad it's inevitable that NGC and Dreamcast are next. Please make it happen Nintendo! It'd be really neat if they release Mario Kart: Double Dash, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, and Super Smash Bros. Melee to proceed the next gen game releases.

jayblue

jayblue said:

the windwalker is getting released soon anyway,not into paying to transfer my vc collection onto pad at 1.50 a go,ive got my vc collection on wii u but have to pay again to play on gamepad classic.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@jayblue
The classic controller and gamepad are not the same thing.

@lijnkakidd
Why is it inevitable that Dreamcast and GC games will follow NES and SNES? What about N64? Megadrive? Master System? All the other systems that were supported on the Wii VC? Surely all of those are more likely follow before we get any more new platforms?