This Homage To Sega's Classic Racers Could Be Speeding To The Wii U eShop

Posted by Damien McFerran

Rolling start?

During the '90s, Sega was the undisputed king of arcade racers. The Japanese coin-op veteran produced a string of solid-gold classics, such as Virtua Racing, Daytona USA, Sega Rally and Scud Race. Sadly, as interest in arcade hardware has dipped, the need for these attention-grabbing experiences has lessened - but there are few who still hold a torch for colourful speed-fests, and Greek developer Pelikan13 is one such individual.

He's been working on The 90's Arcade Racer for quite some time now, and has recently started a Kickstarter campaign in order to raise the funds to get the game ready for public consumption. If things go according to plan, it will be completed by November this year.

At the moment, Pelikan13's aim is to release The 90's Arcade Racer on PC, Mac, Linux and possibly the Android-based OUYA console. Seeing as this is the kind of game that really belongs on a "proper" console, we got in touch and popped the inevitable question: Can we expect a Wii U eShop release, if the Kickstarter meets its goal? The response was a pretty positive one, although it's clearly a little too soon to say:

These are early days for me to be thinking that far ahead, once the game nears completion I will see what other versions I can consider. It's mainly a financial issue.

Having said that, I own and very much enjoy playing on Wii U and 3DS, so it's something that I would really like to see happen in the future.

We're sure you will agree that this game looks absolutely stunning, so if you want to see it on the Wii U, pledge your support to the campaign now and it just might happen. In the meantime, check out this amazing video and let us know what you think by leaving a comment.

[via kickstarter.com]

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Boy, you guys sure have been getting in contact with a lot of people lately! Could you guys get in touch with Team Meat and please ask them if there will ever be a chance for Super Meat Boy on the Wii U or even 3DS?

That said this game looks nice. Would be cool to see a good racer as a Wii U download!

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

GAME OVER, YEEEEAAAAHHHHHH!

Sure, bring this on over to Wii U! I'd take it for a spin.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

AW YEAH! This is the vanguard of the classic game revolution for Wii U! Even better, it starts off with a racing game! (F.Y.I, the racing genre is one of my favorites.) I can't wait for it!

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

I would back it if it was for sure coming out on WiiU, but I don't have a gaming computer really so I will just sit here and hope.

Kirk

Kirk said:

THIS is the kind of small but potentially brilliant indie project that rightfully belongs on Kickstarter imo, unlike so many other recent examples.

THIS is Kickstarter done right.

Also, it just goes to show that all these guys asking for hundreds of thousands and even millions of dollars/pounds as well as making their games with teams of 20-60 full time staff are just taking the absolute piss, out of us and themselves, imo.

1 million percent respect to this guy.

I hope he gets everything he's asking for and more.

fullyilly

fullyilly said:

Backed this Kickstarter this morning, pleeeeeease god let it hit Wii U! Nice little article Damien!

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I was very impressed when I discovered that trailer earlier in the weekend. I would indeed love to have his work on the Wii U.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

This looks very good and in my opinion he does come very close to that 'Daytona Arcade' feeling.
I'm quite impressed at what he has already accomplished all by himself so far.
And his English isn't too bad either... ;)

But seriously: I hope this reaches it's goal and if in the end a Wii U version won't be released, I will still get this for PC, but here's hoping...

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Never liked racing games and I never been much in the arcades, but still I remember too well those old ones this game is refering to... so well actually that I have felt a bit moved by looking at the trailer...

Damn games and their fast evolution!!! I'm only in my twenties and I'm feeling nostalgic like a old man DX

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@BakaKnight
Imagine then being almost twice as old... ;)
By the way: you must have been very young then, when the original games that inspired this one were played.
Daytona USA for example was in the Arcade around 1994 and landed on the Dreamcast in '99.
Then again: twenties could also mean 28 or 29... ;)

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Looks good, but I think I'd rather just have Sega's classic racers on the eShop.

belmont

belmont said:

I am surprised that there are still game developers on my country (Greece). I will buy this game if it will be released in a platform I have.

By the way my favorite SEGA racer is Outrun.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

@Retro_on_theGo

Don't bother. Team Meat are contractually banned from ever putting SMB on anything it isn't already on right now. They've said as much, but you'll have to dig through Edmunds formspring to find it.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Wow for a moment there I thought it was an actually Sega racer. Man if this came out for Wii U I would pick it up for sure.

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

Arcade racers were always the most difficult, for me. SEGA's full name is Service Games, after all, so arcades were their lifeblood. It's difficult to simulate the arcade environment from consoles or the internet, though...

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

I would buy this. Arcade racers were a great quarter-muncher back in the day.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

We need racers to go back to the pure enjoyment of no thrills racing, and Sega's arcade games were the epitome of just that.
So, if this captures that same essence of those racers, I would buy this on the WiiU in a heart beat.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

@TobieBrown Because the picture on the homepage looked so much like Sonic anything...Good thing your not buying a game that may or may not be released on a Nintendo system.

MAB

MAB said:

Brings back that good old arcade/saturn feeling... Sega Rally was the shiznits ;)

SneakyStyle

SneakyStyle said:

OMG, the memoriessssss.... Haha the time I spent on daytona and sega rally in the arcades was great, good old days.

Ninja'ing upto mums purse to get a few coins and running down to the arcade for a hour or two was maybe the worst and best thing I did in my youngyoung days. lol

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

The best set up I saw was a 16 player Dayton USA arcade set up complete with a real life race announcer. I dont remember which casino it was but it was in Vegas. Never have I ever been awed by an arcade set up like that one.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Oh please let this happen and I mean on Wii U. The game looks gorgeous and right up my alley. Miss the 90's..car games were varied and fun.

Sun

Sun said:

@TheRealThanos He would be 14 years old in 1999 when Daytona USA was released for Dreamcast. I started playing videogames when I was 6 years old or so. And Daytona USA was released in 1994 for arcades but remember there are some countries where it was released later, there are some arcades which still have these machines!

I wish Sega released its classics on the Wii U VC and maybe make a brand new racer too.

Deathstalker83

Deathstalker83 said:

I would like to see stuff like 3DO, Sega CD, Sega 32X/CD, Saturn & Dreamcast added to the Wii U VC. Corpse KIller with the gamepad would be awesome, even Night Trap would be fun to play using the gamepad. So many possibilities.

madgear

madgear said:

This I'm interested in! I remember seeing games like this for the first time and thinking this is how the future of video games would look. Blue skies, bright colours, interesting and varied scenery - why did games have to get so grey?

I'll definitely pick this up on PC when it's released. Looks great.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I'm not a fan of indie games, unless it truly has my attention, and although I've never been a hardcore fan of the 90s racers I've got a lot of fond memories of playing the games listed above, as well as a few 80s ones like OutRun! So whilst I won't be rushing out to buy this, as a new title in homage to those amazing games, I'd put down some money for it, at a reasonable cost and IF it is ported to the WiiU. U have my guarantee on that!

Grubdog

Grubdog said:

This is the first kickstarter I've been interested in. The racing genre is dead and this is exactly what is needed to revive it, colours and fun without having to sign into 10 accounts and go through a 20 hour career mode.

The GamePad is a perfect wheel too, illustrated by Sonic Transformed!

MarioKenny1992

MarioKenny1992 said:

sweet, I remember watching one of my uncles play Daytona USA for the Sega Saturn so I wanna give it a try when it comes on the Wii U's eshop. I like racing games, as well :)

Imerion

Imerion said:

Please give me this for Wii U! Played all of the above classics a bit too much and having this would be fantastic!

LEGER

LEGER said:

Please could come out on 360 because I expect a lot of friends and also from the DREAMCAST or they are never out especially SCUD RACE DAYTONA POWER EDITION 2 and I greatly appreciated ARCADE[/url]

translated from this text, please use English at Nintendo Life, thanks! — TBD