Streets Of Rage 4 Almost Happened, But Sega Decided Otherwise

Posted by Damien McFerran

Series composer spills the beans

Sega's Streets of Rage franchise - known in Japan as Bare Knuckle - is arguably one of the most beloved 16-bit series of all time. It's not just popular with Sega fans, either; the legendary second outing is seen by many retro experts as the finest side-scrolling fighter ever conceived.

Amazingly, the franchise has been totally dormant since the days of the Mega Drive / Genesis. Rumours of a fourth outing have been floating around the internet for years, and apparently Core Design's Fighting Force was supposed to be an entry in the Streets of Rage lineage. A few years later, a prototype video appeared online for a proposed Dreamcast version which never made it to retail.

It would appear that Yuzo Koshiro - the legendary Japanese composer who created the soundtracks for ActRaiser, Revenge of Shinobi, Etrian Odyssey and Streets of Rage - has now confirmed that he was involved with this project. Speaking to Destructoid, he confirmed that around ten years ago a prototype was made but it was rejected by Sega before it went into development - and nothing has been heard since. He also added that if he were to create a soundtrack to a new Streets of Rage game today, he would use "modern club music".

What appendage would you gladly give to get a new Streets of Rage game? Let us know in the comment section below.

[via destructoid.com]

Related Games

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I was never very impressed with that prototype, so maybe it was for the best... I would surely be interested in seeing what SEGA could do nowadays.

MAB

MAB said:

Keep it old school sprite style though... 3D graphics ruin scrolling beat em ups ;)

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@MadAussieBloke
Street of Rage was virtually my Sonic (obviously I had that cart too). It was THE series of games when I was younger, as far as I was concerned and I'd love another version to come out. Madworld made me wonder what a 3D SoR could be like though.

Omega

Omega said:

Never got into the Streets of Rage series. Maybe a fingernail.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

They could still do it! I wouldn't be surprised if it were to be revealed someday that a new Streets of Rage title was in development.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Well thank God that terrible looking 3D version never happened but I would like to see a new Streets of Rage game if it were done right. It doesn't have to stick to 2D for it to be "done right" imo but it just has to be realized a lot better than that particular example.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

3D graphics ruin scrolling beat em ups

Scenario Mode in Tekken 6 was better than any scrolling beat em up. I played it more than the main game.

seronja

seronja said:

moder, club music sucks, he should bring up the 90's dance music that would be more nostalgic and awesome =D but it's a bummer that sega didn't want this game to be made, it's been too damn long since the last streets of rage.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

They should still do it as a cheap download title & the retro fans would be all over it!

Ryon

Ryon said:

I've seen this years ago (the beta). It looked really restricted compared to how Fighting Force (another SOR4 idea that had its game title changed during production).

It looks to blocky, like many dreamcast games. If they made it now. It would have to be fast and furious.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

There was another cancelled Streets of Rage game this year...... actually, there were two this year, I checked the Streets of Rage online website, and they say there's been many attempts to making a "Streets of Rage 4", Sega should have added characters from Streets of Rage into the Virtua Fighter series, kinda like how Capcom added Final Fight characters in the Street Fighter series.

TheRavingTimes

TheRavingTimes said:

I guess Sega didn't want to risk ruining the Streets of Rage series credibility. After the SoR 2 the third title didn't work out well unlike the other 2 titles. It's a pity, the second entry in the series along with Final Fight and Double Dragon were the greatest Beat'em Ups out there.

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

If you're going to ruin it, better to leave it alone I say!
As some said already, it should be in sprites and not 3D polygons and forget that "modern club music" nonsense, mr.Yuzo Koshiro you're better than that!

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Yeah, I heard about this. I wish Sega would make a new SOR for Xbox Live, eshop or something. It's time for Sega to stop ignoring the fan base.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I'd gladly give my Appendix vermiformis no problem. Not much out there that's better than a great brawler.

technotreegrass

technotreegrass said:

I wouldn't be opposed to a new 3D game, but after Altered Beast and Golden Axe, I don't trust them, and a new 2D side-scroller for the digital marketplace would be awesome.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I played Fighting Force and I can easily see where that could have been SoR 4. As for a SoR 4 I wouldn't mind another one those were my favorite fighting game series right after Final Fight.

hydeks

hydeks said:

sega NEEDS to release a Streets of Rage 4, even if it's a eShop/ PSN/ XBLA release :P I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

Eternal Champions 3 was also considered, but that was up to a choice between that or the then-fledgling Virtua Fighter franchise, and we all know how that proceeded.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

@cornishlee Project: Altered Beast for PS2 never came to the states, and Golden Axe: Beast Rider was a PS3/360 release starring Tyris Flare.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

it would be nice to see a sor4 in good old 16 bit genesis style. i keep this series close at heart

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@Sabrewing
Wow. Thanks, I just looked those up on YouTube and Metacritic. Hard to tell with Altered Beast (which, let's be honest, was never the greatest game anyway) but it looks like they really messed up Golden Axe: I guessed that's why I missed it.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

This is old news. SoR4 has been in development at least three separate times and repeatedly canned.

If they would just get Streets Of Rage Remake and give it the care they gave the Sonic CD release (since a fan made that, too) and put it out there officially that would be enough for me.

X-Conor-X

X-Conor-X said:

there was a remake of the streets of rage games, unlicensed by sega. They were so well made they got a cease and desist order. It is an AMAZING remake.

X-Conor-X

X-Conor-X said:

On that note, it was almost like streets of rage 4. Old allies joined together, new maps and places. It was wonderful. Already happened.~

Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 said:

I'd love to see a fourth entry made someday, but NOT on one of those stupid online-only services. I'd also like a new Double Dragon game too.