Still No Solid Release Date For Aliens: Colonial Marines On Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Due out "in launch window"

Sega has confirmed that Aliens: Colonial Marines has "gone gold" (meaning it's finished and ready for production) on 360, PS3 and PC, but has stated that the Wii U version isn't quite ready yet.

According to Eurogamer:

We asked Sega what was going on. The publisher told us the Wii U version is due out in the Wii U launch window which, technically, runs up to the end of March 2013.

Sega reiterated it had never announced the Tuesday, 12th February date for Wii U. That worldwide date only ever applied on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Gearbox isn't handling the Wii U edition of the game - that honour has fallen to Demiurge Studios - which could explain the staggered release. Presumably Demiurge have to take Gearbox's code and finalise it for the Wii U, meaning the Nintendo version was always going to be slightly behind the others. The fact that it's not a straight port (whatever that may mean) might also have something to do with the delay.

Are you keen to get your hands on this title? Let us know by posting a comment.

[via eurogamer.net]

MariosLoveChild

MariosLoveChild said:

I have been waiting for this one of a long time. I'm not getting my hopes up though as this is one of those games that has the potential to be a bit poo. How many games over the years have been hyped and delayed beyond belief? (Duke forever anyone?). Anyway if it is a good game I will get whichever version is best as I own all three consoles.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

I dont care about a little wait, this company better do a good job and there better be no mention of frame rate issues either as this is the version I'm excited about most, motion tracker on the gamepad what more do u want

Taceus

Taceus said:

Yeah, this 'looks' like a definite buy. Nice screenshots. Just hope the gameplay is just as polished. Looking forward to packin' it as a Xenomorph jumps out and grabs me.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@Jaz007 I agree, everyone will get it on the other consoles and not buy the enhanced Wii U version which is crazy for a game that could be a system seller.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

I'll be getting the Wii U version, but kinda sucks it isn't dropping the same time as the other versions. In March I'll be knee deep into Rayman Legends, Bioshock Infinite, & Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate......so the sooner the better!

OverturePT

OverturePT said:

Bad news, this won't help the sales at all. The game gets release later on the Wii U and developers still wonder why games for the system don't sell... well, I have a PC and if I wanted to play this game I wouldn't wait who knows how long for the Wii U version, I would get it on the PC. Now, if they were released at the same time, maybe I would have gone for the Wii U version. This needs to stop, simultaneous releases are needed (it's like NA and EU releases being far apart, which sometimes leads to piracy from the people on the EU which can't get their hands on the game but want to play it). Bad idea.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

damn now im not sure if i should just get the ps3 limited edition game or wait till this version comes out as i originally intended to get for the wiiu instead and hope that it will also recieve the special edition package

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

@BaronRudydog

lol i meant to say collectors edition as in i wonder if the wiiu will get it

and that price is a placeholder from gamestop.com canada's ebgames website priced it at regular price :P where im from anyways

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

So, when the Wii U version will be out, we'll already find used copies of the game for the 360... already patched... so sad.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Programming for a new hardware is not as easy as programming for old hardware. Maybe they just want to make sure they get it right so the game can be more well-received than the rest of the stuff being ported Wii U.

luminalace

luminalace said:

This is really annoying. I had really hoped that this was coming at the same time. Also I find it strange that Gearbox talked up this version of the game but isn't handling the port. 2 more months of nothing is unbearable.

madgear

madgear said:

"I'm excited about most, motion tracker on the gamepad what more do u want"

I prefer how they have it in the other versions actually. They have the actual motion tracker (fully modelled) from the film which you can hold in your left hand on the screen - looks extremely cool.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

"It's not a straight port"

I hope that means it's the same game with decent added features rather than they thought they should make a new game for a Nintendo audience!

Reef7009

Reef7009 said:

Thats it. My cash is going to sony! wtf are nintendo playing at , at all?? This new console WILL FAIL if the situation doesnt improve quick!

jayblue

jayblue said:

if its done right should be a belter with the gamepad,i wait anyway this should be the best version as wii u is supposed to be way ahead of ps3 and 360,this new console should start showing us what it is capable of doing.

andregurov

andregurov said:

Uh-oh. I fear the fact that Gearbox isn't doing the port themselves. I'll wait for it on Wii U, but I worry about the reviews and sales.

Reef7009

Reef7009 said:

And we have been misled over the developer. Nintendo will have had a hand in this delay , they fuss and fuss over 3rd party games checking this and that over and over. Ooh cant be to violent...cant have swearing. Remember the green blood in mortal kombat years ago? Nintendo.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Shoot, I thought this game was being developed by Gearbox alongside the other platforms. That kinda sucks. I sense extra slowdown and framerate issues in this version.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

We're back to blaming Nintendo for flawed 3rd party games again I see. What, do you think Miyamoto and co. have a hand in every game released or what?

Realgamer4life

Realgamer4life said:

Man people are impatient and so ready to blame nintendo.
But people lets take a second to think about it. If the wiiu version looks better , plays better and is just a better game are we ging to be mad?
Remember back in the days nintendo would delay a game by months. We all would complain because we hated nintendo for that. Then bam they would release a perfect game and we would all say i'm glad they delayed the game.
This people is why Nintendo games always sell great it's because perfection takes time. It's why we got horrible ports of games. I myself love the fact that a game i want will come out and be perfect it'll justify my dollars.

SpaceApe

SpaceApe said:

Looks like another cancelled Wii U game that I'll just play on the pc. Getting really disappointed in Nintendo.

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

I just found out about this today after thinking it would be released the same day as the other systems. I can only hope that Demiurge Studios is tailor making the game for the wii u to take advantage of it's power and controller features. Someone from gear box said that they didn't want the wii u ver of the game to be different. I find that to be impossible granted the wii u controller being used as a motion sensor. I think we deserve it to be different given the time we have to wait for the game since it will not be released at the same time. I also think it's poor idea on Nintendo's part by not backing up this game. How many people are going to wait for the Wii U ver if you have a PS3 or 360? I think the sales will show that I'm right.

element187

element187 said:

@Lopezdm Nintendo cannot do anything about this, this isn't their game, nor are they publishing it. This is Gearbox and Sega handing it off to another studio for porting.... Do people think they really can blame Nintendo for something they have absolutely no control over? Good grief. Why don't people hold Microsoft and Sony to the same standard of impossible?

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

@element187 Nintendo has to show some interest in 3rd party games. These Devs are now used to being the bell of the ball and want to be treated that way. If they show no interest "money" they get what everyone gets. Consoles are not money makers, software is the money maker and somewhere along the line Nintendo forgot that or is to busy being the weird kid in the class you only talk to when everyone is out sick.