Smash Bros. Melee Needs Your Help To Make It To EVO 2013

Posted by Damien McFerran

Donations required to secure final place in Las Vegas

EVO is the place to be if you're into competitive fighting games, and the 2013 event is scheduled to take place in July.

Eight games will be making the trip to Las Vegas, with seven already decided upon. The organisers are opening up a donation run to decide the eighth and final entrant, and GameCube classic Super Smash Bros. Melee is currently in the lead.

Here's the official line:

We’ve set up a donation page for the each of the most popular games in our previous Facebook poll. The game whose community raises the most money to help find a cure for breast cancer will be the final game at this year’s EVO. You can help get your game there by donating yourself, or by forwarding this page to your friends and relatives.

Wii sequel Super Smash Bros. Brawl is also in the running, but according to insider information, Melee is the preferred choice and is having to fight off stiff competition from downloadable fighter Skullgirls. Simply put, a flood of support is required to ensure Melee makes it to EVO in July - and it's all for a good cause.

You can make a donation here.

[via evo.shoryuken.com]

Related Games

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

I'd love to see Tatsunoko vs Capcom return to EVO more than Melee but seeing Melee would be cool.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

Yeah, I've been hooked onto Project M lately, and I always thought Melee's community was intresting. I would love to see Melee get in over Skullgirls!

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

You know a certain community of rabid MLP fans beginning with "B" (of which I'm a member ;)) will be throwing money into the ring for "Fighting is Magic!" :) Legendary Street Fighter Daigo kicking flank as Fluttershy? Yes, please! ;) (Correction: F'shy doesn't "fight", her animal friends do, al a Pokemon Trainer & Pokemon.)

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Skullgirls is a pretty awesome game to its merit, but I'd much rather see Melee in.

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

Just checked the donation totals and it's a tight race between Melee and Skullgirls with no other game even coming close. I'm a bit torn because I'd love to see a Nintendo game being repped at EVO with the amount of funding Sony tosses in (haha) but at the same time I really hate when people play Smash Bros without items.

madgear

madgear said:

As a long time dedicated fighter gamer, I'm still baffled on the preference of Melee over Brawl. Neither games are considered anywhere close to being balanced so the differences are negligible.

Brawl is my personal preference because of the choice of characters and environments. It seems under competitive conditions certain characters aren't allowed, use simple stages such as Final Destination and have items switched off. It kind of defeats the point of smash bros to play that way. If you're going to play something competitive stick to the likes of Virtua Fighter, Third Strike and SF4 but without the stages, the characters and the mayhem, Smash Bros just isn't as fun.

mattdane3

mattdane3 said:

@SpaceKappa Well, I can sorta understand what you mean, but consider this: the game would get more visibility anyway if it makes it to EVO. The option to turn on or off items is there simply because everyone is free to do as pleased. So even if they play were to play without items there (I have no idea though), you can still play with them with your friends.. I donated $20 anyway, it all goes into a good cause it seems.

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

@shinpichu That's what Smash Bros IS though. It's a wacky game that's fun BECAUSE of it's unpredictability. Poker has random elements and people still play that. It's about having the skill to deal with any of the thousands of situations that can occur BECAUSE of those random elements that gives the game its personality. If you turn off items you're not playing Smash Bros if you ask me.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Nice to see Melee winning. Last I checked about the EVO 2013 donation drive, a My Little Pony fighting game was winning by bounds and leaps. Granted, a fighting game involving ponies at a competition where the average player can chain combos like a mother f---er would definitely grab my attention if only for the sheer surrealism, but I suspect that the people who watch EVO are more interested in games which have greater cult followings.

ohhaime

ohhaime said:

I'm not voting, but If I was I would vote for Skullgirls because Smash is just not designed for serious tournament play and Skullgirls is.

mattdane3

mattdane3 said:

@ohhaime " I doubt we'll ever see one (another Smash Bros) that's as geared toward hardcore gamers as Melee was." - Masahiro Sakurai
you sure bro?

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

I'm kinda surprised by this. There are a lot of people who don't consider Smash Bros to be a real fighting game. As much as I love the Smash series, I would have to vote for Skullgirls.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

@SpaceKappa
Melee is not just a wacky multiplayer fighter with items. It´s also great for 1 vs 1 with no items. That´s what makes it so great, for the hardcore matches and for multiplayer fun. And I think it´s better balanced than Brawl, Meta Knight is OP. It takes less skill to be a good Meta Knight player than being a good Fox player in Melee.

AugustusOxy

AugustusOxy said:

No. I don't believe in hyper competitivism or commercial competitivism. Both aspects ruined 'professional' sports, I don't want either invading my medium. This is coming from someone who has won fighting game tournaments in the past. Still don't want it.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

I want to se Kof13 in there again, the last year matches were some of the most intense I've ever seen in a pro level tournament.

allav866

allav866 said:

I've seen Skullgirls. Never played it, but it does look pretty amazing. Melee, however was (and still is) a truly outstanding game, and I see no reason why it should lose to any other game.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

It's not too late for Melee, it was actually winning by a large margin until Skullgirls held a special donation drive just to surpass Melee, which it did. Given time, and if the Melee fans hold their own donation drive, Skullgirls should fall behind again. It would be better for the FGC as a whole of Melee was at EVO, I feel the main reason they are not winning despite Skullgirls being much less popular then Melee is because Skullgirls is already part of the FGC (although it's popularity had severely dropped) and Melee is part of the separate smash community, and most of the Smash community don't go to the websites where they would find out about this poll.

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

@SpaceKappa
If items are so integral to gameplay, why even have the option to turn them off?

There's very little skill involved with items, especially powerful ones. If a powerful item spawns, the match basically stops while players fight to get to the item, then whoever gets it usually gets a few instant kills. Oh, and they f*** over slow characters because they have a harder time getting to them.

@eirikr
At this point, Melee is so far ahead of Brawl in donations that if we want Smash in EVO AT ALL, it's Melee or bust.

Dezner

Dezner said:

I donated for Skullgirls, but it's all for a good cause! Fans of both games win really, look at all that money! :D

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

@SpaceKappa First rule of Smash Bros: You do not talk about Smash Bros

Unless you enjoy tedious arguments with no end

Donated, anyway.

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

As much as I want Melee to be in EVO, Tatsunoko, Skull Girls, and Persona need to be in there as well.

Adam

Adam said:

Didn't some Melee players get kicked out last time they had it? I would prefer to see Skull Girls. I love Brawl, but Skull Girls is new, well balanced, and could use the attention, being an indie game of sorts.

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

Sigh... the American Cancer Associations spend over $1 billion each year on research... what a waste... just peruse and prescribe the physical and herbal studies which have already been done... the "cure" (read: treatment) is to change and renew your environment, improve your raw mineral and nutritional intake, exercise throughout the day more often, and enhance your body's natural ability to fight cancer. Healthy people don't make for lucrative business, though, so many physicians (read: indentured servants to the pharmaceutical corporations) won't tell you the roots of these problems of their own free will.

Cancer is not some foreign disease. It is caused by your own cells mutating: your body's failure under the pressure of weakened physical conditions and harsh environments. Just look at the Tarahumara Indians of the Copper Canyons, they have literally 0% cancer rates. Our cancers are catalyzed by our dirty, polluted environments; and surprisingly, also catalyzed by societal mythologies such as the necessity of high-rising brassiers and heeled / thick soled shoes. It's not a big mystery anymore. Buy some physician, holistic, and alternative integrative approach books, there's already been adequate research done on the subject of cancer to know how to combat it. Now use them!!

The real next frontier in biological condition research is protein folding. You don't need to donate money for that, though.

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

For Smash Bros., even Melee, I would not take seriously as a professional tournament title. There's just way too many oddity factors, like wavedashing, to allow the balance of depth which more traditional fighters contain. That's the curse of being accessible to newcomers- depth gives way to breadth. That's not a bad thing, it just doesn't lend well to a supreme degree of competitive prowess.

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

@GreenDream
Do you even know what wavedashing is? Most people at least bring up things like the random or chaotic elements like items when dismissing Smash from being a 'real' fighter. I don't see how advanced techniques like wavedashing keep it from being competitive.

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

@shinpichu

I first saw wavedashing in action years ago. In a local tournament held at a game store, several people used wavedashing - the one who used it best, a Jigglypuff user, won by a landslide. If "no wavedash allowed" were enforced, he would have lost.

Supposedly, some people might use it, or others wouldn't. The game is already imbalanced without wavedashing; using it completely changes the spectrum of what's possible for a character to do. Depending on what character you choose, it might involve "wavedash rules" or "no wavedash allowed" or other such incongruous fiddling with the metagame match setup rules. Allowing or not allowing wavedashing is so important, that it is similar to allowing or not allowing items. Items, at least, are of fairly even use for all the characters - ESPECIALLY if you allow wavedashing, which allows certain slower characters, like Luigi, to keep up with the faster fighters.

The balance of character movement in Smash Bros., including Melee, is so intentionally ungraceful compared to other fighters, that all senses of "biorhythm" are lost. Strategically speaking, the player is bound to an extraneous ruleset, rather than the inherent game design. That's one of the main gameplay reasons why Smash Bros. is so frowned upon in the fighting game community.

A friend of mine, who is a fighting game buff, feels the same way. He's also noticed that several professionally held Melee tournaments have been intentionally thrown in the past. That leaves a very bad reputation on the future of Melee as a viable professional tournament title.

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

@GreenDream
So you don't know anything about wavedashing then. All wavedashing is useful for is as a positioning tool. Jiggs probably didn't win just because of wavedashing, unless you can objectively prove that Jigglypuffs wavedash is somehow better than every other character, or that it makes her better(SPOILER: it doesn't. Go read a tier list).

Smash isn't the only series with ATs like wavedashing. Remember roll cancelling in CvS2? Way more important and powerful than wavedashing.

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

@shinpichu That's the thing about Smash Bros. tiers though- they're not based on character complexity like other fighting games, Smash tiers only factor in character movements and raw strength by necessity of the game design.

The guy who was playing Jigglypuff was definitely abusing the wavedash heavily, for faking out and dodging as often as possible, yet still got hit plenty enough; definitely would have lost in the match I witnessed without it. Jigglypuff is a lot less mobile without wavedash. His opponent was using Sheik. (Jigglypuff and Sheik are supposedly both top tier... but is that including or excluding wave dashing? Based on my observations, I'm inclined to believe the former.) The Sheik user was only occasionally using wavedash. So he got hit more than he would have otherwise. They were of even skill levels, both players were pretty good, trading wins and losses.

As for Capcom vs SNK 2, the "styles" kinda made it obvious off the bat that the game design was not intended for straight, simple and clean play.

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

@GreenDream
Go watch some videos of REAL high level Melee play. Somehow I doubt the tournament you watched was exactly reflective of how high level play works in Melee. I'd recommend finding some footage of the recent APEX tournament.

Tier lists in Smash are based on matchups, not whatever you seem to think their based on.

TheSonicdude97

TheSonicdude97 said:

@FluttershyGuy I would so have donated to My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic if I was able, don't really know if it's still available..but anyways, hat game looks so freaking awesome!!~ Brohoof

mattdane3

mattdane3 said:

@GreenDream dude... just... stop. You're embarassing yourself. Jigglypuff is even one of the characters with the most useless wavedashing in the game. Just stop, or watch some high level videos, please.

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

I always found it funny how Smash Bros. was the only game to ever get attacked for wavedashing.

@shinpichu Yea I know, but it would be nice to see Tatsunoko get some love even though Marvel 3 pretty much took over. And the reason I mentioned P4A was because it felt like that game was just dropping in popularity just like most other anime fighters.