Nintendo Unveils The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD for Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Sailing onto the system this Fall

During today's global Wii U Direct, a fantasy of many Zelda fans was revealed to be true, it was confirmed that The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is being re-produced and released in HD on Wii U. It's targeted to hit the platform this Fall.

As explained by Zelda head man Eiji Aonuma, the decision to re-master the GameCube title was taken due to the impressive results discovered when trying out art-styles and concepts for the new Zelda release, which was confirmed to be in development but a long way off. Due to the wait for the all-new title, it was decided to bring the experience to a wider audience for those that didn't have a GameCube; it'll feature upgraded graphics, improvements and tuning to the gameplay, support for off-TV play on the GamePad and compatibility with Miiverse.

Check out the screenshots below to see the difference in visual fidelity that the Wii U version will offer. A fondly regarded title is getting a HD re-make, and we imagine a lot of Zelda fans are rather happy with the news. What do you think about this? Are you excited to get a new version of the game, or will this be your first experience of Wind Waker? Let us know in the comments and poll below.

What do you think of the Wind Waker HD Announcement? (396 votes)

I'm excited beyond words

81%

It's good news, but I was hoping to get it on Virtual Console

I'm not interested in a HD remake

I would rather all attention was focused on the new Zelda

Please login to vote in this poll.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Amazing!
Probably my favourite Zelda game, so I cannot wait to play it again on my Wii U.

pntjr

pntjr said:

The graphics look amazing, but I was kinda looking forward to a new Zelda game. Let's leave the ports to the 3DS, K?

Lan

Lan said:

And yet tons of people will be playing on the Gamepad, in non HD. Who cares about resolution?

edhe

edhe said:

Well I guess I won't have to search out the £50 gamecube game then.

I'm assuming this will retail at about £35.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

Mother of Bob...That looks beautiful. Even though I have my copy of Wind Waker, I may just have to get this.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@pntjr As mentioned in the video...there is a new Zelda game in development. The specific reason for this release (also stated in the video) was to help make the wait more bearable for Zelda fans.

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

pntjr - we will get that NEW Zelda game. And technically Wii U Windwaker is no port, its a remake or up-port or whatever. Since it's not 1:1 and will feature MiiVerse and all Im really excited! ;)

Shworange

Shworange said:

I guessed this yesterday. Mark this date as the day in finally right about something!!!! ...suddenly I'm depressed again.... ;)

rjejr

rjejr said:

Besides the initial uproar when they showed the graphics - while everybody was waiting for the more realistic Link vs Gandalf fight graphics the Gamecube was capable of - I've only ever heard bad things about this game. I played the first hour and stopped.

So, maybe the boat will go faster this time around?

Looks good, actually reminded me of Jak and Daxters home island, but I'll wait and see.

AddADashOfSalt

AddADashOfSalt said:

I haven't played this so I am very very excited it's coming out for Wii U! Definite buy for me! Guess my wallet's gonna hate me by the end of the year!

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Curious about the gameplay tweaking! Is that just referring to putting the inventory on the screen... or maybe a whole new dungeon?

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

i really theres some extras thrown in havent played WW since the gamecubes day tho so ill be glad to go through it again

CrissCross87

CrissCross87 said:

I haven't played this Zelda game yet... So I'm kinda excited. Wasn't expecting them to update the graphics this much.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Will the "Tingle Tuner" work on the Gamepad screen? My youngest son could use the help.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I give a shout-out to ocarinadude14 for making his bold prediction that this would come to pass. I didn't see this HD version coming at all.

Looks like I'll be getting this version even though I have the original version to try out. I just didn't have the time, but now this gives me a chance to get the eventual superior version. Very unexpected, but pleasing, news.

Randomname19

Randomname19 said:

Day one buy!LIke Iwata said Gamecube wasn't that popular so I didn't even know it exsisted until i bought a Nintendo DS. When I was a kid I even saw a commercial for Luigi's Mansion and assumed it was for Playstation 2.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Now all I want to hear is for them to say that they are making majoras mask 3d or a new zelda on the 3ds.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

New games take time to make. This is just to have a Zelda game to play while we are waiting for the new one.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

I loved Wind Waker. This looks brilliant. I hope they make the last half of the game a lot more fun and bearable this time. Damn temple.

All in all great news

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Giddy.

Anybody who likes Zelda but missed this is in for an incredible treat. I wonder if they'll find a way to smooth out the later game monotony. I betcha they will as it's well known as it's only weakness (besides the toon look not meeting expectations).

Can't WAIT for this.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

My favorite all around Zelda. Most people hated the sailing. I thought it was relaxing and fun. Love the art style so this will look amazing on the Wii U. Now just to get a Wii U!

theconejo

theconejo said:

I didn't have a game cube and recently I've been playing this on dolphin in HD but after reading this I will stop and wait to start over in the fall. Nothing brings me more joy than Zelda right before sleep.

Edit: this coupled with the new monolith game and the SMT x FE game are making me happy I got this system, not that I was unhappy at all.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Sweet, one of my top 3 zelda games is getting a Wiiumake-up. I guess this makes playing 2-players (tingle tuner) a lot easier. Wish it was a season sooner but awell.

Late

Late said:

I hope it has enough extra content to convince me to buy it for Wii U. I have it for GameCube but haven't beaten it yet.

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

Let's hope this will start a complete line of renewed GC games at budget price (as the New Play control ones for the Wii)... Just think at Luigi's Mansion, F-Zero GX, Mario Sunshine... :)

Vladex

Vladex said:

Dang, this is exciting! The minute they said this was coming, I knew the Wii U was worth every penny (as if there was ever any real doubt). This is definitely my favorite game in the series, so having this opportunity is unbelievable! I just hope they don't move too far away from the cel-shaded original version; it's hard to tell in the screenshots, and this is still a little early, I'm sure (since they didn't even show any footage of the remake, just pictures), so they may end up making it look a little closer to the original. Either way, I'm so ready for this!

Hokori

Hokori said:

Meh HD doesn't mean A THING to me, but hey playing WindWaker on the Go via 3DS.... Oh wait

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

I can't wait for this, i love the toon link series but i never got to play wind waker so this will be a great chance.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I would prefer a new Zelda and not a remake. Also if they are going to do a remake why remake the worst one in the franchise?

Magnet_Man018

Magnet_Man018 said:

THIS IS WHY NINTENDO IS BOSS!! Working on 2 Zeldas for Wii U and hopefully a MM remake for 3DS! Hell yeah!!

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

I was really really hoping they'd do Wind Waker for the 3DS. :(
I'd be ha[[y with a port even.

Codyshelby

Codyshelby said:

We're all in for a real treat here. Those of us who have played it and those of you who haven't yet.

I cannot wait for this. Windwaker was by far one of my favorites. OoT, WW, SS and Majora's are definitely my favorites.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Great way to pass the time until (likely) 2015's Zelda U.

This new artstyle takes some getting used to, though, the characters feel a little out of place.

Nukarmer

Nukarmer said:

this just made me explode with joy. heard so many good things about this game, but never got to play. not untill now. definite must buy. can I pay in advance, please?

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

this doesnt look like just an HD-port with better textures or whatever. this looks like a complete new engine :o

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Really? There isn't a simple "looking forward to it/will probably pick it up" option in the poll? I can't say I'm "excited beyond words".

Chrno-x

Chrno-x said:

Officially with new Monolith Soft game (Xenogears x Xenoblade) and with my even more gorgeous remake of ToL:WW it would be a great mistake not to buy Wii U >: D

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

For the first time since I bought the system I am excited about its future. Way to go Nintendo.

hypercoyote

hypercoyote said:

As much as I loved this game (In my top 3), I think Majora's Mask would have been the better candidate for an update....Just hoping they do more than port it and update the graphics. Miiverse is kind of, meh and doesn't sound like there will be any other extra planned at this time. I guess what really annoys me is how much time I spent getting all the trophies in the GCN release and now I know I'm going to be compelled to do it again!

Pro-N-Gamer

Pro-N-Gamer said:

This is some really great news! Hope they'll do the same with Skyward Sword. It doesn't need to be compatible with Miiverse though...

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

The only home-console released Zelda I've not actually played before will soon be mine ! :) Not that I didn't have a Gamecube, I did I just never got round to buying this particular game. I can't wait!

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Cool, now Metroid Prime in HD with a HD remake of Super Metroid packed in.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

I don't know what to think about this... I always felt that the cell-shaded graphics were a big part of the Wind Waker experience, and I often replay WW, so this just looks really awkward to me right now.

erv

erv said:

Best zelda in many ways, I am soooo excited about this one.

Rapido

Rapido said:

I've been waiting for a Zelda game for WiiU. New or not, time to purchase one.

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

"Excited beyond words" was the closest to what I'm feeling right now. I'm glad Windwaker Got tapped for a remake before MM or TP. :p

That said....Am I the only one who thinks the original game looked BETTER? It had this great anime/cartoony look, and I'm just not getting that off these new HD graphics.

I wonder if this means more possible HD remakes? SMG HD collection, anyone?

Ryno

Ryno said:

@shinpichu: I to am wondering how many Gamecube HD Remasters we are going to see?

Hopefully it is a lot because I missed out on the Gamecube when I was Xboxer. Definitely looking forward to this and great job to Nintendo for giving Wii U owners some Zelda while we wait for a new original title.

gefflt

gefflt said:

I've already pretty much beat this game over at a friend's house before but I've never owned it. This means it'll be a must-buy!:)

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

UNEXPECTED/10 DID NOT SEE THAT COMING. CAPS LOCK.

It takes a hell of a lot to excite me these days, but this did the trick. It'd be nice if they added in some cut content, maybe an extra dungeon, but I'm not counting on it.

As for other HD remakes, I'm not sure what else I would buy in HD. Metroid Prime would be a good candidate but is rather unlikely due to the Wii Trilogy. Don't think I'd buy the Mario Galaxy games again, though I did love them. Oh, that's right. Mario Sunshine HD would be an instant buy for me as well, and hopefully it would come with a few tweaks, like making some of those blue coins more obvious. I loved Sunshine to death but spraying random spots for blue coins wasn't exactly my kind of fun.

MegaWattsAdmin

MegaWatts said:

I'm curious to know what the gameplay enhancements will actually entail; I couldn't stand having to play that Command Medley every two minutes! This will be a miss for me, as it's one of my least liked Zelda games, but it certainly looks very pretty and I think a lot of folks are gonna be very happy!

Emaan

Emaan said:

Wind Waker in HD! That was a surprise this Nintendo Direct. :O
It looks beautiful. Nintendo really takes their remakes seriously, this isn't just upped resolution.

I still haven't beat the original, was planning on getting to it this summer. Guess I'll finish it up soon and then replay it in its HD beauty this fall!

treeofmana

treeofmana said:

By the time GameCube came out I was too busy with school and had moved temporarily away from video games. I got to play this game and a few others a little bit with friends so when the Wii came out I was very excited about its backwards compatibility. I've since bought and beaten Wind Waker and it really is one of my favorite Zelda games. I'm excited for this. For one thing, the addition of off-screen play means I could play through this one in bed!

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Hmmm. It looks good! May wait to see if any new features are added, but will likely get it being the first Ninty HD remake. And, hey, with GamePad support, I could get my multitask on and catch part of a Thunder game in the 5 minutes it takes to sail from point A and B. ;)

Now, Shiggy, what about that 3DS Link to the Past redux you've been teasing us with for almost two years? :p

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

The best Zelda game made but with improvements? Will be buying a Wii U the day this is out in the UK.

Silver_August

Silver_August said:

WHELP! there goes any reason I had to hold onto my Wii, looks like I can offically put focus on getting a wii u this year

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

@rjejr
In regards to only hearing bad things about this, who the heck have you been talking to??? This game is beautiful. I know some people have issues with the sailing (personally I don't), but there is so much charm in this game. The animation style is beautiful in a simple way and the characters are memorable.

Also, just wanted to point out to everybody that this doesn't look like a simple "HD-ified" version much like Sony has been doing with a lot of its games. This looks like a graphical overhaul much like was done with OOT 3D.

BeatOli

BeatOli said:

It's actually annoying people are complaining about this...we should be lucky they're doing this at all, and you're willing to complain about it not being portable?
Anyhoo, regarding the actual game, I hope they add in the extra dungeons that were cut out to save development time. If they did it would be fantastic.

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

I didn't get to play a this much, since I had an Xbox and hardly knew about the Gamecube. I wanted to get this game to play on my Wii, but the price for this was surprisingly high. I might get a Wii U this year because of this and Monster Hunter.

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

Great surprise, my favorite part of the Nintendo Direct.
Too bad we didn't get footage, but the screens look fantastic.
Some parts of the screenshots do look like simple resolution boosts, but it's also obvious they revamped the color palette, the lighting system, and some other things.
A few people on here say it looks like a new engine - i doubt it, they'd have to remake the entire game from scratch if it was completely new - but the boosts here are tremendous compared to the original.
I was waiting for a game to make the Wii U worth my purchase and it sounds like by the end of 2013 there will be plenty to make the dive worth it.
My biggest issue playing Wind Waker (original) nowadays is the controls for certain things feel clunky compared to what i'm used to now...aiming a bow and arrow or hook shot for example. I hope the gameplay 'tune-up' addresses some issues like this...I'd love to be able to lift the GamePad at the TV and use it to aim my items...or at least tune up the use of the analog sticks.
I would also love it if they made use of the gamepad's touch screen in some way...even if it were as simple as keeping the item screen on there and a quick touch to swap em out, or a full/more detailed map for dungeons/ocean, etc.
If this is a 'remake' as opposed to an HD port, i hope they include some of these types of changes in addition to the miiverse compatability. It would really feel like a new, original Wii U title if they made full use of the hardware, even if it is in a basic and predictable way as opposed to an innovative way that perhaps the new zelda game in development will use it.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

THIS was the Nintendo Direct that people have been waiting for!!! I knew Nintendo was sitting on a bunch of surprises. Just wait til E3!!!

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

@BeatOli People complain about EVERYTHING on the internet. Especially spoiled fanboys. If they don't get what THEY want instantaneously, then there's a "failure". The internet is the place they go to cry about everything. I just ignore them & move on. = )

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@FiveDigitLP
I, too, have heard of the controversy surrounding the graphical style of Wind Waker. I assume those are the bad things he's heard. It's not to everyone's taste.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Why Wind Waker? It's the one game that will look good forever because of its style. Hell, this new HD edition will probably age faster than the original. I feel like Twilight Princess would've better suited the HD update.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

That said, I do love Wind Waker, and if it has some substantial additions it might be worth it.

BeatOli

BeatOli said:

@Shadx Like I mentioned in an above comment, stuff WAS cut out of Wind Waker due to there not being enough development time or something along those lines. I really do hope they add that stuff in for the people who played the original to give them a little something more.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome! Aonuma is right, it really makes Wind Waker look like a whole new game, very beautiful. Can't wait! :D

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

@BeatOli
They'd be complaining if it was portable, too.

Edit: I don't have access to my Wii U now, so kinda wish it was playable on my 3DS, but I'm more than happy that my favorite 3D Zelda is getting some love.

Spanjard

Spanjard said:

SOOOO AWESOMe! :)

The windwaker is so good that even though I played it like 3 or 4 times, I will do it again!

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

@Shadx
They're remaking it because it was on the Gamecube. They're giving it a chance to reach a wider audience.

TechnoEA

TechnoEA said:

Now I have to get a Wii U, Oh Nintendo, you know just what strings to pull with me.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

This has never been my favourite Zelda game TBH (love the art style but the game was too disjointed and had way too many lengthy sailing sections) but it's still much better than anything the PS2 or Xbox came up with at the time, and I'll be interested to see if the 'missing' dungeons get reinstated. I'll probably buy it regardless, Zelda nut that I am :)

Discostew

Discostew said:

I loved Wind Waker, but to be honest, I looked at all the screenshots, and with the exception of maybe the characters, the game looks like it is an HD port with improved textures and added effects like HDR lighting and shadows. Just looking at the screenshot with the ship suggests that. If this is priced at $60, then I'm definitely not getting it. This should be priced at half that imo.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Nintendo has stepped into "HD remake realm". And that´s quite a good thing actually. As they said, making a new Zelda game takes time so it´s great to see this masterpiece in HD while I wait for a new one.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Ooh...pretty...

If this happens to be less than the standard $60, I would gladly pick this up. Granted, I think Nintendo went a bit overboard with the bloom ("THERE MUST BE BLOOM ALL OF THE TIME FOREVER!!!" is the first thing that comes to me head), but Wind Waker is definitely deserving of an HD treatment out of all of the Zelda games.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@cornishlee - Not so much the art style - more what ToxieDog said:
was too disjointed and had way too many lengthy sailing sections

I'm not a big fan of sailing, though that was 10 years ago, and I've mellowed, some so maybe I'll enjoy it this go 'round. But if they want to put a map on the Gamepad screen and let me jump back to wherever I've been, well that's ok too ;-)

WesCash

WesCash said:

Neat! Wind Waker is the only Zelda game I have ever really enjoyed and it should be gorgeous in HD.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Here's my wish oh shooting star,
please make it so that this will be available on the eShop for $30 / 30€, thanks.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

@Moshugan You really are wishing if you think it will be available on the eShop for $30. Don't forget that Nintendo have a 'Mario' and 'Zelda' tax, ;) just look at how much extra it is to download the Mario Land games and Zelda: Link's Awakening on 3DS eShop compared to other GB games.

Silvervisiona

Silvervisiona said:

Not going to lie. This title already had kick butt controls, in addition to actually being designed for dual analog sticks, it's a perfect fit! Sounds like a great project for Nintendo to get there hands dirty in HD while they learn how to really make their games look great. This is a great filler. It's a shame I've literally completed every inch of detail and quests already...full photo gallery and everything!

WildMan

WildMan said:

They're actually releasing this? I thought it was just a tech demo of what zelda would like in hd.. I guess I must have missed that in the Nintendo direct..

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I'm kinda torn here. At first i didn't like how detailed the new graphics look. They already were near perfect for this kind of eperience imo.
On the other hand if they really put in much work to also fine-tune the gameplay it could be quite a different experience instead of just a slight remake.
Still glad i got to play the fantastic original first. Might still get the remake for a good price whenever i buy a Wii U.

placidcasual

placidcasual said:

As soon as I met that kid with the snot hanging out of his nose on Outset island I knew I'd love the art style. My second favourite Zelda and I've played them all first time around.

They cut a dungeon out to finish in time for release (on the Greatfish isle) so I'd love to see that back in.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

Nintendo, if you plan to make the Wii U a great console, you're failing. Your making Wii U the greatest console ever.

Ras

Ras said:

Watch out, lady. I want to smash that pot sooo bad.

I'm now glad I didn't replay WW. It should be a fresh experience. I, too, hope they go with their original plans over the triforce fishing we got because they were running out of development time.

KAHN

KAHN said:

booo >: (
i'd rather focus all my attention towards the REAL ZeldaU title.

Icefreak45

Icefreak45 said:

Never got the chance to play the first one so this'll be great :D That's when I actually, you know, buy a Wii U.

KAHN

KAHN said:

i'm pretty disappointed... re-releasing Wind Waker?? isn't this the one everyone kept complaining about sailing over?
Untitled
don't get me wrong, i understand why they're doing it, but i've played the game, and i'd rather wait for the REAL zelda U title, not some crap i've already seen. and i'm also getting P-O'd of all the games that only utilize one screen, instead of both. i'd rather play with both screens. if i wanted one screen, i'd probably waste my money somewhere else. WW HD only uses one screen, too. i think if i wanted to use one screen, i'd have used my gamecube copy. honestly, there's NOTHING wrong with the gamecube version, i don't see why i should have to waste more money on the same game except with better graphics. no... just no...

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

I'm so happy! The tears won't stop. This game was my childhood, and now to see this! Nintendo you have earned a cookie T_T

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

@0LD_SK0OL_PUNK
Nobody's making you buy this.

From what I understand, they're remaking it to give the game a wider audience(the GC wasn't exactly the most successful console).

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

As for the remake itself, I hope they include a sidequest log. One of the most annoying things in the original was that I'd come back to play it after a long time, then not remember what sidequests I had or hadn't done, and then I'd quit because I'm OCD. A feature that keeps track of that stuff would be really useful, and would seriously improve the chances of me getting this.

Ven

Ven said:

ok, unlike ACIII, Aliens colonial marines, or even new super marios bros wii u, this is the game that will get people who love nintendo games really interested in the Wii U.
This was a great game, except for the slight sailing problems, so a HD remake??? YES!!!!!
all it needs, is side-quests (or more of them), a log for quests, gamepad use for sailing and fishing, and a slightly more interesting control set. This could be the game that gets people to say, "hmm, if they remake this old game, why not more?" Next up, METROID PRIME, and CHIBI-ROBO!!!!!!!

adrenochrome

adrenochrome said:

i hope the engine will evolve because the current cellshading effect combined to the wiiu resolution is not looking as good as the gamecube one, currently it only highlight the lack of polygons :/

Henmii

Henmii said:

I am probably the only one who has to get a bit used to the updated cel-shading shown in the screenshots. Some footage would help a lot!

I really hope though that this means the next Zelda on Wii u will also have Windwaker graphics! It is possible now!

By the way: I voted nothing, because I am just a bit excited! Hopefully it also has some new dungeons, and they could also remove the Triforce quest! But of course I am eagerly waiting for the NEW Zelda's!!

Eldir

Eldir said:

The graphics look "less lively" than the original but still a great announcement!

HappyDingo

HappyDingo said:

Dem shots.

This game looked amazing back then. Can't wait to see it with a fresh coat of paint. Hopefully they'll add a few extra features to the game so it doesn't feel like just another retread but with better graphics.

9-Volt

9-Volt said:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG! This could be my 1st Toon Link game!!! Day uno buy!!

allav866

allav866 said:

So a week ago, I borrowed WW from a friend because I missed the game. I beat it last night, then I find out about the remake. I'd be upset that I didn't wait longer, but this might be good that the original is fresh in my mind so I can spot the differences easier, no matter how subtle.

Stratostar

Stratostar said:

Easily the biggest surprise of the Direct for me. This is one HD remake I never thought would actually happen.

Frozenx07

Frozenx07 said:

I loved Wind Waker and beat it multiple times. Having said that, I have no interest in playing it again "remade, updated, remixed" or whatever you want to call it. I felt the same way about Ocarina of Time on the 3DS. I might be in the minority on this one, but I'm more interested in new Zelda titles or ones that haven't been ported yet. (Oracle of Age/Seasons)

Jray

Jray said:

anyone else notice they changed links undershirt color to orange? i really like the graphics though, it really freshens it up, it makes me want to play this game now, even though i've beaten the original twice, its fun to play through it again with link's pajamas :P

redclow

redclow said:

I hated the GC Zelda graphics, but in HD, it looks so much better!!!! Day one purchase!!!

ChibiJib

ChibiJib said:

Holy crap, someone commented about this before the Direct and I thought that was just a joke... o_o

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

Never could get into Zelda, but Wind Waker interests me. Might give it a shot if the price is right.

JulioSince1990

JulioSince1990 said:

This is my 2nd favorite Zelda game, behind Ocarina of Time of course. I however, feel it is very unecessary to 'HD Remake' it as the graphic style of the Gamecube original has not really aged. They should instead invest their time in a NEW Zelda game that drops the gimmicks and make it a truly epic, somewhat more realistic Zelda.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

I'm so excited for this. I can't wait to set sail on the gorgeous oceans once more. I have always loved the art direction in this game and it just got better. Coupled with the fact that the game is amazing, it's a good time to be a Zelda fan.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

The graphics shown are not final. Nintendo won't just leave it at upping the resolution and adding bloom. They'll do a good job as always.

Phle

Phle said:

I haven't played this game (I never owned a gamecube) and I'm quite exited that they are releasing it for Wii U. There is no question, I'm getting this.

That said, I'm kind of worried that the connection between this game and the new Wii U Zelda game has something to do with the colors or the graphics. Zelda doesn't need more bright colors and it doesn't need a more childish appeal, I hope Nintendo knows this.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Potential SPOILERS!
Yes! Good times. Wind Waker was too short, but it was short and sweet! I'll just say, please, please add a huge sea monster, more islands, and another town island to transport cargo back and forth! More people too!

I think this cinches it, Wind Waker HD coming to Wii U means 3DS is getting the new version of Majora's Mask.

mookysam

mookysam said:

In terms of visuals, Wind Waker is the Zelda game in least need of a remake. I played it again late last year and it's still beautiful - almost ten years later. I'd wager it'll still retain its charm a further ten years from now. I also think the new art style is a tad unnecessary, and, based on the few screens released, less visually appealing than the original's cel-shaded look.

In terms of gameplay there are refinements to be made and like others, I'm hoping for an extra dungeon or two placed where they intended in the original release, but I don't think this will be the case.

DePapier

DePapier said:

I literally joined the NintendoLife community to say a big NO to the demand of Wind Waker HD, and now I'm excited beyond words. I should have expected that if Nintendo makes an HD remake, it means that it's a REAL remake: not some of those bullpoop some did on Perfect Dark only tweaking the resolution.
And for those who say that it should use both screens and not have the ability to be fully playable on the GamePad... The original only used one screen, so I might as well have this as a better respect to what the game actually used to be, and as a means to play WW in my bathroom.

That being said: the best video game in history, just got better.

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

I never finished this game when it was out on the game cube. I am glad to see a remake in in the pipe line. I will buy it hands down, as well as a Majora's Mask remake if they decide to do that as well. I am just concerned that the wii u is going to become the seconds chance machine for old games. NEW content please.

KAHN

KAHN said:

port a OoT sequel to WiiU, port another to 3DS (cough Majora's Mask cough)

ljinkakidd

ljinkakidd said:

I just simply cannot wait. It's like a remake that isn't a remake. Toon Link looks like he could jump out the screen and slash you with his 12 inch sword. Nintendo, you just sold me a Wii U and you haven't even shown footage of Super Smash Bros. Mario, or a new Zelda. Well played Nintendo. 3rd party games are essential for Wii U's growth but Nintendo will manage on its own for quite some time.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

This game doesn't need a remake. It still holds up well graphically today.

Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess could use remakes, along with a Super Mario compilation or some less broad-appeal games like Star Fox Assault (seriously, so much potential in a touchup of everything)

SMW

SMW said:

I usually don't bother with ports of games I already own, but I will definitely make an exception here! It looks amazing!

xXMariahManicXx

xXMariahManicXx said:

I AM SO EXCITED I ACTUALLY STARTED CRYING I HAV BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT IN MY LIFE FOR SO LONG <333333 now i just have to get a Wii U

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Gameplay changes I want with Wind Waker HD, LET THE CAMERA HOLD MORE PHOTOS. Like 10-20! Realism be damned, having to run to the figurine maker every 3 shots is ANNOYING. Also, allow and infinite number of new game +s! What's the point of allowing 1 new game + and 1 only?

krunchykhaos

krunchykhaos said:

@Magnet_Man018 see this is why i hate this. MM has only room on the 3ds while this travesty of a game gets a console remake? I dont care if anyone likes this game. Its terrible.

Ickaser

Ickaser said:

The original doesn't need an upgrade at all. This, though... it's simply magical, like adding concentrated happiness to the best thing you've ever tasted.

RC140

RC140 said:

wind waker is probably the worst tv console Zelda game i have played and I own all of them except SS. If there is going to be an HD remake, make it one of the more iconic Zelda games like OoT (3ds doesn't count) or MM. I think that more people would buy the remake of Majora's mask more than wind waker. Wind waker was the first zelda on the GameCube and had a new method of getting from place to place, sailing. sailing in wind waker was boring, there was nothing to explore other than these bunkers that shot at you. As well in windwaker, there were only six dungeons. Nintendo could have done better, they should have scrapped the triforce search and added 1 or 2 more sages to awaken. this would have made the game much better and enjoyable. Nintendo, broadening the market, targeted this toward kids. my 9 year old brother beat this without looking up anything on the internet. what does that tell you. THIS GAME IS TOO EASY!!! I remember having rage fits when I was 9 playing OoT because I was so lost in the forest temple to finally pick it back up when I was 13 and still have trouble. Zelda games are suppose to to confuse you, (not to mention realistic graphics<like twilight princess>). Zelda also needs to have a dark feel to it. the Master of all evil Ganondorf has arisen and everything to everyone is still joyful nearly everywhere. compare this to OoT, Hyrule town is destroyed and filled with Redeads. everyone migrates to Kakariko Village for safety. there are problems nearly everywhere to Lake Hylia to Death Mountain to Kakariko Village to Zora Domain to Lon Lon Ranch and most importantly...Hyrule. you end up resolving these problems spreading peace where Ganon has thrown darkness. This is the true essence of how Zelda should be, and wind waker does not deliver. Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess are examples of games that do deliver the true essence of Zelda

RC140

RC140 said:

@rayword45 alright, i agree with you except with Twilight Princess. In my opinion, TP has the best graphics in all of the Zelda games. everything was realistic, it had great design as well as smooth textures. I would like to see it in the graphics of the tech demo from E3 2011, but that is most likely not going to happen.

The-Chosen-one

The-Chosen-one said:

I think they should keep Windwaker type zeldas for the handhelds, and the realistic (like twilight princess) and like the demo at E3 for the Consoles, id rather wanted that they would have made a majoras mask HD game, that game had all the magic, i want link to have more powers, like he had in ocarina of time and in majoras mask.
and what nintendo can do lol to hype the sales of Windwaker, is when u finish the game, you will see a short video from the new zelda game for WiiU, then everyone will buy it lol

DimensionRaven

DimensionRaven said:

The game will be great as all Zelda games are, though I hope they remove the blessed triforce hunt. i could never get past that when I payed the gamecube version on my wii.